About To Push The Button

Zuzu

Ohh I found out why. The durability of the 850 is about double that of the 840, listed at 150 terabytes of writes vs 80 on the 840

Ohh I found out why. The durability of the 850 is about double that of the 840, listed at 150 terabytes of writes vs 80 on the 840

Hey! where did you find that? =)

http://www.pcgamer.com/samsung-850-evo-ssd-review/

'Speed isn’t what’s exciting about the 850 EVO. It’s only marginally faster than its predecessor, the 840 EVO, and with the limitations of the SATA interface, it isn’t as fast as some PCIe SSDs. If you already own an 840 EVO or a similarly speedy SSD, there’s no reason for you to run out and upgrade to the 850 EVO.

Instead, there are two enticing selling points for new customers: improved durability and a new five year warranty. The 850 EVO is built to last. And, yeah, it’s pretty fast, too.

Here are Samsung’s claimed specs for the 256GB model of the Samsung 850 EVO, which is the one we tested:

Sequential read speed: 540 MB/s

Sequential write speed: 520 MB/s

4KB random read speed: 97,000 IOPs

4KB random write speed: 88,000 IOPs

For comparison’s sake, the 840 EVO claimed sequential reads of 520 MB/s and writes of only 410 MB/s. But more important are the endurance numbers Samsung puts up:

850 EVO: 75 terabytes of writes for 120/250GB models. 150 terabytes of writes for 500GB/1TB models.

840 EVO: 40 terabytes of writes for 120/250 GB models. 80 terabytes of writes for 500GB/1TB models.

Samsung guarantees that the 850 EVO will function after nearly twice as many data writes as the 840 EVO, which gives it that nice bump up to a 5 year warranty. To write 75 terabytes of data to the drive in five years, you’d have to do 40 gigabytes of writes every day.'

:P

Well I'm only using this rig for 3 more years and I definitely won't be writing 40GB of data onto it each day... That said though it would be nice to be able to take the SSD out and put it into a new rig 3 years down the road... THAT said.. SSDs will probably be dirt cheap by then too lol..

What do you think I should do?

So the 850 at 40GB writes daily is a whopping 10 year drive?

Apparently lol

It has already been noted your CPU/Motherboard combo doesn't look that good.

If you pretend to overclock, and I am assuming you do since you chose an unlocked version of the i7 processor, replace the motherboard for a Z87 or Z97 (preferably Z97). You can find these motherboards for similar prices to the one you currently have selected.

If it was me i would go for the MSI SLI Krait Edition (http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z97S-SLI-Krait-Edition.html#hero-overview) mostly for the looks that match your black and white NZXT case. If you dont care for looks there are plenty other options out there.

If you are sure you will never overclock your machine then buy a cheaper version of the i7 CPU (locked) and save yourself a couple of bucks to spend elsewhere ( LED strip to light up the inside of the case for example ).

As for the CPU cooler, and as an owner of a H100i myself, I have to say this. Despite its good performance and awsome looks it has its faults. Corsair Link software is terrible with Windows 8.1. It has issues controling the LED on the CPU block (to the point where you can't actually change it) and fan control might be glitchy through Corsair software aswell. I am currently returning my H100i for that and switching for a H110.

WIth this said, I would personally go for either the H110 (2 x 140mm fans) or the H105 (2 x 120mm fans). If you care about looks I would also sugest a NZXT cooler instead for aesthetics sake. Would match your NZXT case and would give you more of a NZXT themed build.

NZXT AIO Coolers: http://www.nzxt.com/category/products/8-cpu-coolers

As for the RAM modules I would go for white or black Kingston memory just for the looks aswell. Should cost you about the same.

As for the storage solution unless you have a NAS or some kind of external storage device that you plan to keep around I would go for a HDD for file storage. If you dont need such a premium SSD you could go for a Kingston SSDNow 300V 240GB (roughly $99) or a Crucial one and with the 100 bucks you saved get yourself a nice 2TB HDD for mass storage.

Lastly, for the fans, and again more for looks I would go for a fan whith white blades to since they match that case really well.

Sorry for the long post and all the comments related to looks and aesthetics bit of a freek about that.

My build: CPU: Intel i5-4690K; Motherboard: Asus RoG Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: Kingston Hyper X 16GB 1833Mhz; GPU: Gigabyte Windforce G1 Gaming GTX 960 2GB; PSU: Corsair CX750M; Storage: Kingston 240GB SSD + Synology NAS w/ WD Red 1TB; Cooling: Corsair H110Case: Corsair 450D; Accessories: Asus RoG Front Base;

@brob

So would you say it's totally not worth it to go for the 850 over the 840? $45 more

Good question, not easily answered.

If budget is an issue and there are other parts that could be improved with the savings, go for a less expensive ssd. Fact of the matter is that any ssd is going to be significantly and noticeably faster than an hdd. And, the difference between ssd will not be noticeable in general use and gaming.

On the other hand. The 850 is a newer model that incorporates knowledge and experience gained from the 840. Generally new tech is better. So, if budget is not an issue or the savings wouldn't be better applied elsewhere I would likely opt for the 850.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

@Gonçalo

Thanks for the input

I've updated the build. I noticed though, that the unlocked version of the processor still is 0.4GHZ faster than the locked one even while not overclocked and it's only $50 more so I decided it's still much better to get that one...

Here's the current build. Please let me know what you think:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($368.32 @ TigerDirect Canada)

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 93.3 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Z97-AR ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($177.66 @ TigerDirect Canada)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($162.12 @ DirectCanada)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($285.98 @ Newegg Canada)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($398.50 @ Vuugo)

Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Memory Express)

Power Supply: XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.98 @ NCIX)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.98 @ DirectCanada)

Case Fan: be quiet! SilentWings 2 50.5 CFM 120mm Fan

Total: $1747.53

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-13 19:20 EST-0500

@Gonçalo

Thanks for the input

I've updated the build. I noticed though, that the unlocked version of the processor still is 0.4GHZ faster than the locked one even while not overclocked and it's only $50 more so I decided it's still much better to get that one...

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($368.32 @ TigerDirect Canada)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($169.99 @ Canada Computers)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($285.98 @ Newegg Canada)

Power Supply: XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.98 @ NCIX)

Total: $1755.40

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-13 19:13 EST-0500

I don't believe Vegeance memory will fit under the Dark Rock Pro 3 fan. I believe clearance is 39mm while Vengeance memory modules are 52.5mm.

I don't believe Vegeance memory will fit under the Dark Rock Pro 3 fan. I believe clearance is 39mm while Vengeance memory modules are 52.5mm.

Hmm... Okay thanks for that. Does PCPP not check compatibility of ram-cooler sizes?

@Gonçalo

Thanks for the input

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($162.12 @ DirectCanada)

Total: $1747.53

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-13 19:20 EST-0500

Hey just a heads up.  I noticed that you are getting Windows 8.1 license with the build from a reseller. You may be able to get a free license from your schools engineering or computer science department clubs like I have here in the states.  

If not microsoft has it for $69.99 USD for a students license on their EDU site here. Not sure how much more they charge students in Canada though.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Windows-8.1-Pro-Student/productID.288438200

Main Rig

**CPU** | [Intel Core i7-4790K @ Stock]**CPU Cooler** | [Corsair H100i] **Motherboard** | [ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard]

**Memory** | [G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory] **Storage** | [Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive]

**Storage** | [Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM] **Video Card** | [Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE]

**Case** | [Phanteks Enthoo Pro] **Power Supply** | [EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+]

Main Rig PC Partpicker  

| https://pcpartpicker.com/b/DnKZxr |

Hmm... Okay thanks for that. Does PCPP not check compatibility of ram-cooler sizes?

Generally no. There are a number of things that pcpartpicker either does or can not check. Memory module heights and cpu cooler clearances are one. The other big one are some cooler heights and case clearances. One also needs to verify some radiator height clearances.

PCPartPicker is a great tool but one does need to double check all compatibility issues. In addition to the items mentioned above, there is always the chance of an error in the database.

Generally no. There are a number of things that pcpartpicker either does or can not check. Memory module heights and cpu cooler clearances are one. The other big one are some cooler heights and case clearances. One also needs to verify some radiator height clearances.

PCPartPicker is a great tool but one does need to double check all compatibility issues. In addition to the items mentioned above, there is always the chance of an error in the database.

My Hyper 212 fits snug with my Viper 3 RAM, too snug for my liking.  I simply moved my 2 sticks of RAM to the 2/4 slots.  Could Zuzu not just do the same?  ...Or even run a pull config on the cooler fan which would alleviate the clearance issue?

Okay I'm ready to order the components... Does anyone know how long it will take me to build it? If it's more than an hour or two then I'll just take the built version by NCIX

Someone that has done it a few times...about 20 minutes.  First time, about an hour...with a little instruction.  Doing it yourself, you get the experience in.  So doing anything related to that machine down the road becomes easier.  It becomes YOUR build.

Okay I'm ready to order the components... Does anyone know how long it will take me to build it? If it's more than an hour or two then I'll just take the built version by NCIX

Building take time, you can't rush on it. It's like art, you can't rush art. You're a first timer, so don't rush. I've the H440 went from black/white to black/red is that what you want?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

@NumLock21 yeah I think the black/red looks better :P what do you think

color is personal preference. :)

@Zuzu The price for your HSF is missing. on NCIX CAN it cost $99.99CAD

Newegg US cost $89.99. Seriously if you're going to spend that much on a fan, might as well just go with AIO.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

So do you think I should replace the current 512 SSD that I have in this build with the Samsung?:

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($169.99 @ Canada Computers)

Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($228.98 @ DirectCanada)

Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Memory Express)

Total: $1698.40

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-13 17:18 EST-0500

Did not see you'd changed it to Crucial. You're pretty much good with whatever SSD you want, I was just trying to save you some dough if you were set on the Samsung 850 Pro, since the EVO is almost the same thing (quality control is just not AS tight, but it's still beastly) The Crucial should be perfectly fine :)