About To Push The Button

Zuzu

But would cheaper parts be just as reliable for long term use? The reason I'm not over clocking is because I just want a stable system that I can use as my light gaming and workstation pc for the next 3 years till I finish college. I'd rather pay more up front and have everything last without having any issues or headaches. But if you think that cheaper parts will provide me with the same reliability I would probably do that then.

Not really, and yes really.  Buying cheaper parts will get you into trouble.  Buy less expensive, yet equally good, just saves you money. =)

Z97, i5-4690, single 970 (you don't need a 980 for CS:GO, that's silly.) Add a 500GB SSD with that money saved, whabam.

The 970 cards are definitely better value for money.

Personally, I would get my computer ready to be overclocked.  That way in a year from now, or even two years, if you find you need the extra power... you CAN overclock.  You are spending a lot, so a tiny bit more ($50) and you can overclock if needed.

@ zuzu you want everything from NCIX, right?

Geez, if you live in Toronto...I will meet you at a library and build it with you.  :D

Hmm okay I guess I will try and hope I don't break every part lol.

as long as you aren't stupid, it's pretty hard to break anything if you watch tutorial videos.  there are several build guides on the linustechtips channel, just watch those.  and don't guess about things when your putting it together, either find a tutorial or ask on this forum.  It's really not that hard though

XEON E3 1231v3 | GA-Z97MX GAMING 5 | XFX R9 290 | 16GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX100 256GB | WD BLUE 1TB | EVGA SUPERNOVA 850W | CORSAIR 350D

Personally, I would get my computer ready to be overclocked. That way in a year from now, or even two years, if you find you need the extra power... you CAN overclock. You are spending a lot, so a tiny bit more ($50) and you can overclock if needed.

@ zuzu you want everything from NCIX, right?

Geez, if you live in Toronto...I will meet you at a library and build it with you. :D

Hahah nice of you lol. I'm in downtown Toronto yeah :P.

Yeah you're right about the overclocking in future... I could just OC it after its devalued in time and run it into the ground for the last year.

Then you don't need a 'k' cpu

You also only need a 500W or so psu.

Left the Z97 board in as it matches the card/case. You can get a cheaper H97 board but they don't match colourwise.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($333.32 @ TigerDirect Canada) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ Memory Express) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($104.99 @ NCIX) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($122.89 @ DirectCanada) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card  ($629.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($129.99 @ Memory Express) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($99.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Total: $1713.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-12 19:31 EST-0500

this is good but it needs a 1tb WD Blue or something.  256gb is not enough.

also might want to go with 1 or 2 970's instead of that 980

XEON E3 1231v3 | GA-Z97MX GAMING 5 | XFX R9 290 | 16GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX100 256GB | WD BLUE 1TB | EVGA SUPERNOVA 850W | CORSAIR 350D

@stconquest

Okay so you're right to say that spending a bit more to allow for OC potential in future is worth it, but I guess the main thing I don't want is to have it built *around* OCing, costing me more for something I won't use in the near future. What would you suggest for a non-OC build that's about $2K? I would like to play WoW on ultra at 60fps and CS GO as well as edit videos and have ~20 tabs open most times.

And I'd rather have a one card solution for those who are suggesting SLI

This is overclock ready: 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($368.32 @ TigerDirect Canada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($125.98 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($126.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($152.03 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($57.98 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($648.50 @ Vuugo)
Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($129.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ NCIX)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($99.98 @ DirectCanada)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P14r redux-1500 PWM 78.7 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($17.99 @ NCIX)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P14r redux-1500 PWM 78.7 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($17.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1965.72

and I will see the price difference of non overclock.

Ohh I see! Thanks man you saved me lol. Thank god I made this thread before ordering. Okay so i7 non K, check, cheaper SSD, check..

Don't buy a cheaper SSD, you just need one with a larger capacity if you're not running a mechanical HDD. Look for something 500GB or larger. A 512GB Crucial MX100 or 500GB Samsung 850 EVO should work

Non-overclocking version:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($333.32 @ TigerDirect Canada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($54.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($98.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($152.03 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($57.98 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ NCIX)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-C2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($6.62 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1802.37
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-12 19:57 EST-0500

So I am serious, I will build the thing with you.  I am old... I don't wanna steal your stuff or anything really =D.  You pick a location to work, and we build it.  Save some cash.  As far as the SSD goes, 240GB or more is plenty for gaming.  You have the storage drive for other files.

@stconquest

Can't thank you enough man.

OC version looks perfect. One question though. Why did you swap the Asus Z97 for a MSI one? Is it better?

@stconquest

Okay so you're right to say that spending a bit more to allow for OC potential in future is worth it, but I guess the main thing I don't want is to have it built *around* OCing, costing me more for something I won't use in the near future. What would you suggest for a non-OC build that's about $2K? I would like to play WoW on ultra at 60fps and CS GO as well as edit videos and have ~20 tabs open most times.

And I'd rather have a one card solution for those who are suggesting SLI

Nah, you don't really build around OC'ing.  It is more of a standard of smart spending.

@stconquest

Can't thank you enough man.

OC version looks perfect. One question though. Why did you swap the Asus Z97 for a MSI one? Is it better?

Which AsRock did I link in your other thread?

@Zuzu if you mean the H97, that is a non-OC board.  It is cheaper...I mean, less expensive =D.

Oh you didn't link it but the first build I posted had this one

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z97ar

And I was wondering what the difference was.

Price.  Both have decent overclocking capabilities.  The ASUS does not have anything that warrants paying more.  It is nice though...the silver and stuff.  Go for it.

@Zuzu if you go for the ASUS board, we can change the RAM to match.  I have a blue type theme going.

this is good but it needs a 1tb WD Blue or something.  256gb is not enough.

also might want to go with 1 or 2 970's instead of that 980

I was assuming the op had extra storage, as he didn't include a hard drive.

If it was Me I would go with a single GTX 970. I was just trying to change things around without sacrificing performance.

I was assuming the op had extra storage, as he didn't include a hard drive.

If it was Me I would go with a single GTX 970. I was just trying to change things around without sacrificing performance.

I like the GTX  970 idea too.  If he wants the 980 though, I don't want to pressure him. ;)

I have a 2TB WD drive that I use for everything other than system files so yeah lol.

If you're 100% sure I can run world of Warcraft at 60fps on ultra with a 970 then I would get it instead haha, but I've heard that it might not be as high in fps.

@stconquest

Do you know how to make this build quieter?:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($368.32 @ TigerDirect Canada)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($117.27 @ DirectCanada)

Motherboard: Asus Z97-AR ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($177.66 @ TigerDirect Canada)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($152.03 @ DirectCanada)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($285.98 @ Newegg Canada)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card ($648.50 @ Vuugo)

Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Memory Express)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ NCIX)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.98 @ DirectCanada)

Case Fan: Noctua NF-P14r redux-1500 PWM 78.7 CFM 140mm Fan ($17.99 @ NCIX)

Case Fan: Noctua NF-P14r redux-1500 PWM 78.7 CFM 140mm Fan ($17.99 @ NCIX)

Total: $2125.70

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-12 20:19 EST-0500

These fans, great 120mm fans for $6: 

I changed the RAM too, to a good black set.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($368.32 @ TigerDirect Canada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($117.27 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-AR ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($177.66 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($163.79 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($285.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-C2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($6.62 @ DirectCanada) <<<
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-C2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($6.62 @ DirectCanada) <<<For the H100
Total: $2114.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-12 20:32 EST-0500

@Zuzu Now I do not know what the case fans are like.  I don't recommend changing those until you run them... they might be quiet.

These might be better:  http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/lepa-case-fan-lpvx12p

I have one of these LEPAs on my CPU cooler.

WoW at 60 FPS at maxed graphics...hmmm...let's find out.  I am 100% sure that a 970 will run maxed WoW at over 60 fps...problem...

Being an online game, the fps is more dependent on the CPU's performance.  See why I like to plan for overclocking.  I knew this already, but I wanted to check against the new graphics update.  I don't play WoW, btw.

@Zuzu

In certain situations (tons of players around fighting and stuff), your CPU might not be able to handle it all and keep you above 60 FPS... but no one elses CPU will be able to handle it either.  You have one of, if not the fastest CPU models on the current market.

Awesome I'll get that SSD then. The cooler... Only thing I'm worried about is the noise tbh