Computer Turns On for a Fraction of a second than off?

Ronanwar
Go to solution Solved by TheGeekster,

Try disabling the XMP, it could be failing to apply the overclock to it, the CPU is set to auto in all of the overclocking options?

I wish I could make the title bigger but it's really "Computer Turns Off for a Fraction of a Second Than Turns Back on After 5 Seconds All By Itself". Just build my new PC. Love it to death. But on startup, it concerns me. I have a switch in my room that controls the power flow to all outlets in my room including my light. I have to turn it off when I go to bed. This switch also controls the power flow to the PC. After I wake up ill get ready and go to my PC. I then turn on my room switch, give it a sec to distribute power, than turn on my PC. The PC turns on for a fraction of a second, turns off, stays off for about 6 seconds, than back on. The intervals between the fraction shut off and when it actually turns on are increasing! This also happens if I ONLY turn the PSU switch off than back on.        BUT       if I turn off my PC in the middile of the day (while my switch is on in my room) the PC will start up just fine with no fraction shut off. It's really bizzare. I would really love some help as the intervals are increasing and it's really conerrning me. Thanks. :D

[EDIT] - I must state that it runs normally after this wierd startup process. The startup doesn't effect anything else in the PC (I think). Just the startup.

Computer SpecsGPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980 Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero VII Power Supply: SeaSonic 760W 80+ Platinum CPU: Intel i7-4790k

Other Facts: Phone: Galaxy Note 3 Laptop: 13-inch 2.4 GHz Macbook pro with Retina 

Do you mean like a light dimmer switch?

@Ronanwar

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Do you mean like a light dimmer switch?

@Ronanwar

Just a light switch. Off and On. Like for a porch or something...

Computer SpecsGPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980 Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero VII Power Supply: SeaSonic 760W 80+ Platinum CPU: Intel i7-4790k

Other Facts: Phone: Galaxy Note 3 Laptop: 13-inch 2.4 GHz Macbook pro with Retina 

Well, if the computer wasn't booting up at all, I'd say a power supply issue, don't suppose you've got a spare power supply? What happens if you leave the power on overnight with the PC shut down?

Cartman - AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 3.1Ghz - 10GB Ram (Mwahahah) - 256GB Crucial MX100 Boot - 2TB WD Red - Gainward GTX 770 - Zalman Insanely Loud CNPS14X - Corsair 230T Orange

Stan - Intel Pentium G3320 - 8GB Ram - 128GB Intel 520 - Raid 1 6TB WD Reds - Bit Fenix Prodigy

Kenny - HP 14 Ultrabook (No name apperently) i3 4130 - 128GB Intel 520

Well, if the computer wasn't booting up at all, I'd say a power supply issue, don't suppose you've got a spare power supply? What happens if you leave the power on overnight with the PC shut down?

I'll start it up and it'll be just fine.With no fraction startup problem. I got a killer PSU. Not sure how that could be the problem. This PC is a week old :/

could be ram or cpu 

In what way?

In what way?

if a pc has no ram it will boot for a second then turn off and if the cpu power is not connected the same will happen

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

if a pc has no ram it will boot for a second then turn off and if the cpu power is not connected the same will happen

Everything is connected perfectly. I have 16gb of ram. Power connectors are all in the right spots.

Try re-seating the ram, just double check all connectors are fully in. Sometimes you can just get something that is dead on arrival, happens from time to time. Have you tried leaving the power on? Does the PC start first time then?

Cartman - AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 3.1Ghz - 10GB Ram (Mwahahah) - 256GB Crucial MX100 Boot - 2TB WD Red - Gainward GTX 770 - Zalman Insanely Loud CNPS14X - Corsair 230T Orange

Stan - Intel Pentium G3320 - 8GB Ram - 128GB Intel 520 - Raid 1 6TB WD Reds - Bit Fenix Prodigy

Try re-seating the ram, just double check all connectors are fully in. Sometimes you can just get something that is dead on arrival, happens from time to time. Have you tried leaving the power on? Does the PC start first time then?

This is what I did this in the past 15 minutes. I turned off my light switch, than everything back on. (I'm assuming it's a PSU problem). I didn't the PC. After 5 minutes of power on throughout my room, I then decide to turn it on. It started up surpsingly with no fraction boot in the first 3 seconds than it turned off. It than turned back on redirecting me to the Bios with an overclocking fail. The only thing being overclocked is my "Pre Overclocked" 980. I think its my Ram. First startup ever, I made sure the Ram was in an XMP profile.

Try disabling the XMP, it could be failing to apply the overclock to it, the CPU is set to auto in all of the overclocking options?

I disabled XMP and it's finally working. Thank you. But could this problem damage any components? Do I need to have XMP enabled to have my ram working properly? (I'm not a ram expert :P)

I just went into the bios, disabled, restarted, shutdown, enabled xmp profile, restarted and works perfectly. Thanks for you help

No problem, XMP enables automatic overclocking of the RAM by the CPU, sounds like your CPU was trying to get too much power out of the RAM. To be honest, I don't see why people over clock their RAM, doesn't make any real life differences from what I've seen.