What is the next BIG thing in the tech industry that is needed?

Merackon

This is inspired by the point from the TB Co-optional podcast, about how there was not nothing that was really that wonderful and new at the show for certain categories of things.

Aside from what is that which we already know; Skylake being the prime example, what is the next thing that is not around right now that the technology industry could do with for a big leap in consumer product or professional product development?

Quantum stuff :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Longer lasting/faster batteries 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

This is inspired by the point from the TB Co-optional podcast, about how there was not nothing that was really that wonderful and new at the show for certain categories of things.

Aside from what is that which we already know; Skylake being the prime example, what is the next thing that is not around right now that the technology industry could do with for a big leap in consumer product or professional product development?

a USB buttplug for horror games and such.

Nothing to see here, move along

Free stuff

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

Getting into space, and space travel without use of combustion.

As a cat lover, I suffer seeing that profile picture, real or not, that is one good looking cat.

There are these transistors that don't produce heat -- at all. I think a CPU and/or a GPU made of them would be great as then power becomes your only limit for overclocking essentially allowing 20GHZ i7's. Also, if need be, the power supplies could be might with these special transistors as well to allow for greater power flow and something like "overwatting" to allow the powersupply to supply more power.

Efficiency. Seriously, that's the next big thing.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

moving from silicon to carbon nanotubes, and for how thing are going it seems it might happen but the sooner the better 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Finding out why people post about What is the next BIG thing in the tech industry that is needed?

Because he had a hard drive.

What we humans need is the AMD master race to begin

What we humans need is the AMD master race to begin

What we need is no master race.

The brain eraser that they had in Men In Black. There are some politicians here in America that seriously need to be flashed back to child hood. I don't think some of them can comprehend what is happening beyond there bank account. If a few of the biggest oil fields dried up tomorrow we would be screwed in america, the old politicians act like non fossil energy is horrible stuff made by the devil to lead america to hell. 

On a more realistic note I think wearables that keep up with our health more in depth will become a much bigger thing in the future, from monitoring blood pressure, to cholesterol, to sugar levels and temp, maybe even things that will detect infections as they start and virus types early on.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

Full Dive, But remember don't buy the first version, that is. Unless you want too.

I'll buy it! Only if SAO is made for it, I get kickass dual sword wielding skills, a hot girlfriend from it and get to stay alive.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

There are these transistors that don't produce heat -- at all. I think a CPU and/or a GPU made of them would be great as then power becomes your only limit for overclocking essentially allowing 20GHZ i7's. Also, if need be, the power supplies could be might with these special transistors as well to allow for greater power flow and something like "overwatting" to allow the powersupply to supply more power.

erm. . . I'll believe it when I see it. it sounds rather. . . impossible. improbable at least.

I'll buy it! Only if SAO is made for it, I get kickass dual sword wielding skills, a hot girlfriend from it and get to stay alive.

Who wouldn't? The most awesome thing would be the fact that you have full control over your character without having to use predefined actions made by the developer.

Steve

Volvo Valve making Half-Life 3, Left 4 Dead 3, And Portal 3 And releasing them all with availability on FullDive technology.

Think of it, Valve games on Fulldive. And knowing Valve they will go back and re release older games with compatibility on it.