Best Open Back Headphones Sub $250

bacosta1993

I have been looking at the Fidelio X1/28, Beyerdynamic DT - 990,  and the Audio Technica AD700x. 

I know i'll need an amp for the 990 so i was thinking about getting the  SMSL SD793 II. 

I am leaning towards the Fidelios because of the easily replaceable cord. Was thinking of getting a V-Moda Boom Pro in the future.

I am open to suggestions and if anyone owns a pair of any of these headphones please share your experience. 

It is a matter of opinion as to which is best... both are good headphones. Sounds like you've already done a little research yourself anyways.

It is a matter of opinion as to which is best... both are good headphones. Sounds like you've already done a little research yourself anyways.

Yeah I have done some research but still don't know which I should go for. The fidelios would be cheaper than the DTT 990 combo, so I think I'll save a few bucks and get the Boom Pro while I am at it. 

I think I'll save a few bucks and get the Boom Pro while I am at it. 

BoomPro compatibility is a nice feature. Seems like you've answered your own question then.  :P

I got a used hd600 for $230 which is pretty good for such a popular headphone.

If you like bass, go with HE-400. Although you'll want to spend additonal money for amp

Too bad there is no best, you must figure what kind of sound that you want first. If you can't try headphones in a store, the only option is to yolo strat.

Too bad there is no best, you must figure what kind of sound that you want first. If you can't try headphones in a store, the only option is to yolo strat.

If I don't like the headphones then, Amazon return policy op. 

If I don't like the headphones then, Amazon return policy op. 

Just buy all the big ones in the price range and try them.

I got a used hd600 for $230 which is pretty good for such a popular headphone.

If you like bass, go with HE-400. Although you'll want to spend additonal money for amp

Did you get those locally? That is an amazing deal!

Just buy all the big ones in the price range and try them.

Yeah I was planning on doing that but I go an email from amazon about doing that. They didn't like that I spent over $300 on mice and only kept one. 

Yeah I was planning on doing that but I go an email from amazon about doing that. They didn't like that I spent over $300 on mice and only kept one. 

Too bad for them.

Too bad for them.

They'll eventually either stop allowing you to return items or stop buying items altogether. Not sure which. 

They'll eventually either stop allowing you to return items or stop buying items altogether. Not sure which. 

Hopefully they'll go under first.

Did you get those locally? That is an amazing deal!

No I got them from Head-fi. Although I had to spend additional $75 for a used O2 amp and $30 for HD650 cable, but boy the sound good. I'll probably keep this classic pair for a long time :D

What kind of genre of music do you listen generally and what kind of sound signature are you looking for?

I really like the higher end AKGs. If only the clamping force was a bit lighter it would be perfect. [/quote

And the headband bigger too, they're too small

I really like the higher end AKGs. If only the clamping force was a bit lighter it would be perfect. 

It'll get better in awhile, it was pretty annoying to me at first, but it was the pads that were a bit on the stiff side.  Then again I think your k7xx has different pads than my 712's, so YMMV

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089