Is the new Kinetic Energy Cooler a case of unauthorized use of intellectual property?

Cooler Master shows a new cooler concept at the CES 2015, the first Kinetic Cooler from Coolchip. But after reading an article on chronicle.com about a sigificant similar cooler concept from Sandia National Laboratories, some serious questions surface who actually owns the intellectual rights for this new cooler?

http://chronicle.com/article/Who-Deserves-MITs-200000/128810/

It would suck if they couldn't innovate over patent trolling.

Agreed, I am extremely hyped for the new kinetic cooler master products. I hope no one messes with them  :(

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Patents stifle innovation. I just hope Cooler Master is in agreement or something. Maybe they bought them out secretly or something.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Hopefully CM doesn't have to go through what Puget faced with their mineral oil PC kits.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Agreed, I am extremely hyped for the new kinetic cooler master products. I hope no one messes with them  :(

I want an AIO liquid cooler with the kinetic thing in the middle of the radiator.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

I want an AIO liquid cooler with the kinetic thing in the middle of the radiator.

230mm rad with that would look crazy

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

I'd love to see them make a big tower design out of it, like a DH14, only the heatpipes carry the heat up to these two big circular bits with the kinetic thing in the middles. It'd actually be more compact since they don't need the fans, probably.

That and for graphics cards. Imagine two of these mounted on a vapor chamber that covers the GPU and the VRM components and memory? That would be awesome! Black anodised aluminium fins... Silver heatpipes... Black shroud... Niiiiiiice

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

It would suck if they couldn't innovate over patent trolling.

Patents stifle innovation. I just hope Cooler Master is in agreement or something. Maybe they bought them out secretly or something.

Did any of you actually bother to read any of the article? Or are you all just ignorant to what a patent actually is and why it exists? This idea was clearly stolen and used for financial gain by CoolChip. 

-J.T.

Did any of you actually bother to read any of the article? Or are you all just ignorant to what a patent actually is and why it exists? This idea was clearly stolen and used for financial gain by CoolChip. 

Getting rid of patents all together can be a punch in the face for a lot of companies. The only reason for it being an actual punch in the face is that that they will be forced to put effort into innovating and are forced to stop milking their one succesful patent that everyone has to ask permission for.

Oh boy

Sort of. Without a patent it's kind of hard for a company to make money, and people don't do things for free so, we need a happy medium between the two.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Sort of. Without a patent it's kind of hard for a company to make money, and people don't do things for free so, we need a happy medium between the two.

But where is the happy medium. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

You must be new here. This is LTT, where even if you have no idea what you're talking about, it doesn't matter because lord Linus speaks and these children follow every word with baited breath and then parrot that pretending they are professionals with real experience, when in all actuality they are a keyboard warrior that watched some youtube videos and like to throw around key words and benchmark numbers like they were written in stone tablets be god himself, but haven't actually done any kind of work or research towards any certain topic. Also every thread devolves into intel/nvidia vs amd and android vs apple from people that have never owned the opposing brands products. 

But where is the happy medium. 

I've no idea, I'm not a patent lawyer, or an inventor. I do like the idea of "you can't hold a patent for something unless you are currently producing that product for sale" Although you'd have to add something in for stuff that's in development to be sold.

You must be new here. This is LTT, where even if you have no idea what you're talking about, it doesn't matter because lord Linus speaks and these children follow every word with baited breath and then parrot that pretending they are professionals with real experience, when in all actuality they are a keyboard warrior that watched some youtube videos and like to throw around key words and benchmark numbers like they were written in stone tablets be god himself, but haven't actually done any kind of work or research towards any certain topic. Also every thread devolves into intel/nvidia vs amd and android vs apple from people that have never owned the opposing brands products. 

Then leave perhaps?

Or perhaps realize that the comment you made make you just as much of a "keyboard warrior" as the rest. I didn't realize we had the "comment content approval god" on the website.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Then leave perhaps?

Or perhaps realize that the comment you made make you just as much of a "keyboard warrior" as the rest. I didn't realize we had the "comment content approval god" on the website.

Fight fire with fire. 

It's be a real shame if they couldn't role their new coolers out, they looks to be quite useful. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

A patent ensures a company, organization or similar which invented something and invested money for staff, research, materials and energy into it, because it's expensive and effortful, to keep the rights alone to gain back the investments and also to make profits if possible. Without patents it would be a money-losing business, not worth the effort to invent anything.

This looks more like CoolChip's fault than CoolerMaster for the product. There might be a way to still sell the cooler but have royalties paid to the creators?

This looks more like CoolChip's fault than CoolerMaster for the product. There might be a way to still sell the cooler but have royalties paid to the creators?

That's called settling out of court. 

That's called settling out of court.

I know, it's whether the guys that designed the cooler want to and if CoolChip is still able to help produce the cooler.

Getting rid of patents all together can be a punch in the face for a lot of companies. The only reason for it being an actual punch in the face is that that they will be forced to put effort into innovating and are forced to stop milking their one succesful patent that everyone has to ask permission for.

Oh boy

Or it kills technolgy like fuel cells tech.