Interested in photography. Where should I start?

Aleks

Over the past couple of months I have gained an interest in photography as well as cinematography. Where should I start? My Mom owns a Canon Rebel XSI but that only takes photo's. Should I start learning on that? Should I purchase an entry level camera? Or should I save up for a good DSLR? Thought? Thanks!

Use the crap out of the XSI first, then move on to a proper cinema camera (Blackmagic Cinema Camera is like $800USD) 

Buy some lenses if you're sure you will get a Canon DSLR/EF/EF-S Mount Cinema Camera and eventually stack up

Use the Lynda.com 10 day trial and do the photography course 

Talk to some of the photographers here (ish) @ZacDaMan72 and @Flyguygamer and a TON more. (these are just the guys i've talked to a LOT about camera gear in the past 2 months) . (there are a ton more members)

If you've got money to spend/birthdays/chances to spend money or feel you need a new camera !now!, i'd go with a nice DSLR (canon if you're doing video) anywhere between the Canon T3i and 7D series. (depending on budget, but note: DSLRS will last easily over 5 years at least depending on usage and demand) (Canon 60D is still as good as the Rebel T5i for example :D)

But don't overspend on the Body and cheap out on the lens, its important to keep a proper balance between lenses and camera bodies themselves :D

DSLRs will give you fantastic video that will probably satisfy your needs, but in case you want cinema-grade video performance, consider something like the Blackmagic Cinema/Pocket cameras for the future, if you can, go with the canon mounts (if you get a canon DSLR earlier, and Nikon-NIkon etc.)

Also, Canon is better in my opinion because of MagicLantern (Really cool for video) (i believe the link is Magiclantern.fm ?)

Source: Just got into photography less than a month ago, and feel these are the important things to consider when getting a dslr and using it after getting it.

Check out DigitalRev on youtube for great reviews (with crude humor, but you probably watch linus' videos so it's nothing :P
Also FaymusMedia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btaesOmA_ro

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Start with the canon t5i and a lens. Then get a 70D and an 24-105 f/4 lens. Then a 7D mk ii and a 70-200 f/4

Use the crap out of the XSI first, then move on to a proper cinema camera (Blackmagic Cinema Camera is like $800USD) 

Buy some lenses if you're sure you will get a Canon DSLR/EF/EF-S Mount Cinema Camera and eventually stack up

Use the Lynda.com 10 day trial and do the photography course 

Talk to some of the photographers here (ish) @ZacDaMan72 and @Flyguygamer and a TON more. (these are just the guys i've talked to a LOT about camera gear in the past 2 months) . (there are a ton more members)

The BMCC is $2000

But kinda this. 

The BMCC is $2000

But kinda this. 

edited a lot more above ^

Also, whoops, I meant the pocket cinema camera, which is still excellent, but requires an adapter for EF-S/EF lenses

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

edited a lot more above ^

Also, whoops, I meant the pocket cinema camera, which is still excellent, but requires an adapter for EF-S/EF lenses

If he does, get the t5i not t3i and 18-55 and 55-250 not the 18-135

Thanks for all the help guys, I think I will practice on the XSI for now. Then gradually save up for a 7D or whatever is out at the time. Assuming I get that into photography. I appreciate all of the educated answers.

If he does, get the t5i not t3i and 18-55 and 55-250 not the 18-135

Actually, (even ZacDaMan could agree i guess) the 18-135 is one of the best all rounded lenses, if you're a person who will travel or wants less hassle. 

The t3i is still fantastic, and the price difference between the two is really not worth it in my opinion unless you're buying from a place that has a great deal or on DigitalRev ($50 Difference :P)

Thanks for all the help guys, I think I will practice on the XSI for now. Then gradually save up for a 7D or whatever is out at the time. Assuming I get that into photography. I appreciate all of the educated answers.

yeah the XSI is a fantastic camera, even today. What lenses do you have now?

If you don't have much besides the kit lens, i'd first get more lenses, get a creative style etc. then invest in a DSLR body (assuming you will stick to Canon but i see no real reason to switch to Nikon :D)

use use use that XSI

spend your money on a good fast 35mm or 50mm lens, they will help you with both photography and cinematography as an spectacular prime lens. You can also put some money towards some good filters for your photography, makes a world of a difference. I'd recommend a 30mm sigma f/1.4 for a starter lens and a good polarizing filter to start off since you have a camera already.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

use use use that XSI

spend your money on a good fast 35mm or 50mm lens, they will help you with both photography and cinematography as an spectacular prime lens. You can also put some money towards some good filters for your photography, makes a world of a difference. I'd recommend a 30mm sigma f/1.4 for a starter lens and a good polarizing filter to start off since you have a camera already.

^^ 

Also, if you're tight on money, just get the 50mm 1.8 (will be more like an 80mm 1.8 because of the crop sensor ;P) I can't praise the lens enough

yeah the XSI is a fantastic camera, even today. What lenses do you have now?

If you don't have much besides the kit lens, i'd first get more lenses, get a creative style etc. then invest in a DSLR body (assuming you will stick to Canon but i see no real reason to switch to Nikon :D)

Honestly I couldn't tell you! We have like at least 5 different lenses and I know one was a birthday present to her from my dad and it wasn't cheap.

^^ 

Also, if you're tight on money, just get the 50mm 1.8 (will be more like an 80mm 1.8 because of the crop sensor ;P) I can't praise the lens enough

What type of lens would you recommend for landscape/scenery? 

Honestly I couldn't tell you! We have like at least 5 different lenses and I know one was a birthday present to her from my dad and it wasn't cheap.

Does it have a red metal ring around the top? 

Can you try finding out what lenses they are? 

Look at the top of the lens and just write whatever is written on the top (around the glass should be a little bezel like thing with a bunch of specs like 18-135STM USM 1:1.8-5.6 etc. 

The side of the lens should have the focal range in a pretty big font like *28-80mm*

What type of lens would you recommend for landscape/scenery? 

18-135 if you're on a bit of a budget ($400 USD)

We need to know what lenses you have now because they may be excellent lenses 

18-135 if you're on a bit of a budget ($400 USD)

We need to know what lenses you have now because they may be excellent lenses 

Okay, lens 1:Canon EFS 55-250mm. Lens 2:Canon EFS 10-22mm Lens 3: SIGMA 70-300mm(this one looks the most beastly) Lens 4:Canon Macro lens EF 100mm Lens 5: Canon 50mm (looks the worst). I believe there are a few more she keeps in different cases but let me know how those are. Thanks!

Okay, lens 1:Canon EFS 55-250mm. Lens 2:Canon EFS 10-22mm Lens 3: SIGMA 70-300mm(this one looks the most beastly) Lens 4:Canon Macro lens EF 100mm Lens 5: Canon 50mm (looks the worst). I believe there are a few more she keeps in different cases but let me know how those are. Thanks!

wow you have a great collection already!!

That 10-22 is Fantastic!!

The 50mm is actually one of the best, it's the best, cheap lens canon has (does it say something like f1.8 or f1.4 or f1.2 on the side or top?)

Dude...  Does that 10mm lens have a red ring at the top/front??!

The 55-250 is great, no need for a 18-135.

The 70-300mm is not that great for photos indoors and stuff because its really long (focal length)

Get a 18-55 because i see you don't have anything in that focal distance.

Other than that, Fantastic lens collection, you should be good to go till you learn more about photography and cinematography (watch digitalrev, all this photo lingo will come to you)

TBH i feel that those lenses deserve a better camera to be attached to, but learn first, then spend! :D

In fact, do ANY of those lenses have a red ring on it?

Are you sure you don't have an 18-55mm already? Most cameras come with that lens as a default option. Is to on the camera?

wow you have a great collection already!!

That 10-22 is Fantastic!!

The 50mm is actually one of the best, it's the best, cheap lens canon has (does it say something like f1.8 or f1.4 or f1.2 on the side or top?)

Dude...  Does that 10mm lens have a red ring at the top/front??!

The 55-250 is great, no need for a 18-135.

The 70-300mm is not that great for photos indoors and stuff because its really long (focal length)

Get a 18-55 because i see you don't have anything in that focal distance.

Other than that, Fantastic lens collection, you should be good to go till you learn more about photography and cinematography (watch digitalrev, all this photo lingo will come to you)

TBH i feel that those lenses deserve a better camera to be attached to, but learn first, then spend! :D

In fact, do ANY of those lenses have a red ring on it?

The 70-300mm SIGMA has a red ring. I am almost positive the lens attached to the camera has a red ring but unfortunately I can't seem to find the camera right now haha. I will most definetly look into the 18-55mm. Unless it is the one attached to the body already!

The 70-300mm SIGMA has a red ring. I am almost positive the lens attached to the camera has a red ring but unfortunately I can't seem to find the camera right now haha. I will most definetly look into the 18-55mm. Unless it is the one attached to the body already!

Ah okay no problem.

If it's heavy and made by canon and the build quality is excellent and is quite heavy and expensive, it's a Canon l lens. The highest end lens you can ever get for Canon. (besides ridiculously expensive cinema lenses)

I gotta go to bed now but pm when you find that camera and hopefully the lens too.

Ah okay no problem.

If it's heavy and made by canon and the build quality is excellent and is quite heavy and expensive, it's a Canon l lens. The highest end lens you can ever get for Canon. (besides ridiculously expensive cinema lenses)

I gotta go to bed now but pm when you find that camera and hopefully the lens too.

Haha okay thanks for all the help brother. I shall!

That's a good set of lenses but you're missing one crucial type of lens, the 17/18-55mm lens.

I will recommend for you to get the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 as a general purpose lens if you have the cash to spend. If you can't, I think the Signa version is good, but if you can't afford that go or the Canon EF-S 18-55mm STM (the EF-S 18-135mm STM is good too). Then as a new camera either the 7D or the 60D, whichever is cheaper at time of purchase, but firstly, use the Rebel to learn the rudimentary stuff every photographer should know (won't list them so you can find out yourself ;)) and use it a lot while you save up for either the lens or the body.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

I would say start saving, but stick with the XSI as your starter, it is the camera I started on and should work pretty well! If after 3 months you decide that you are still interested in photography, then I would recommend upgrading to a newer DSLR.

If you want informative videos, you should take a look at FroKnowsPhoto and Matt Granger, both are great photographers and make great videos. I would also suggest you take a look at Philip Bloom, Devin Tramp and Film Riot, although these are by videographers (and the XSI can't take video), you can learn quite alot about good composition, exposure etc from these guys. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB