You guys think this would be a good case mod?

Alpha11

So right now my computer is black, and I was wanting to go with a white themed computer. So I looked online and I found a white carbon fiber vinyl wrap used on vehicles. I was thinking I could wrap this around my Spec-03 case easily because it can come apart easily. So what do you guys think, would it be worth it? 

post-108414-0-52758000-1420591353.jpg

post-108414-0-34772200-1420591361.jpg

PC Specs   - Black and White Build

Intel Core i5 4690k MSI Z97S Krait LGA 1150

Crucial Ballistix Sport 1x8GB 1600MHZ

Sapphire Radeon R9 270 (Will be upgrading this soon)

EVGA 500W PSU

Phanteks Enthoo Pro - White

Man, I was actually going to make a topic about this same thing.  The wrap in question is from 3M, and you are correct, it's meant to be used on cars.

I may actually do this... personally I think it's a bad ass idea, but anyone who has used this, how is it applied/how well does it work on plastic?  Would you need to sand the case?

You don't know until you try, if you like the design of the wrap go for it.

You don't know until you try, if you like the design of the wrap go for it.

Okay, it a cheap mod too about $20 for the 3M wrap!  :D

PC Specs   - Black and White Build

Intel Core i5 4690k MSI Z97S Krait LGA 1150

Crucial Ballistix Sport 1x8GB 1600MHZ

Sapphire Radeon R9 270 (Will be upgrading this soon)

EVGA 500W PSU

Phanteks Enthoo Pro - White

For accents, it would look fine... else, I'm not so sure...

But it's all a matter of personal taste...

I agree with @DigitalHermit.

Doing the whole case would not look as good as a few accents. If your case comes apart easily, you might find a way to use velcro to help it stick together better.
The vinyl is pretty stick on the backside, but you can really form it to corners with matches, a hair dryer, a heatgun, or a lighter. It will hold a bit better when you do that. Do it just a little at a time...

Here's an idea of what it looks like when you do large areas with it:
http://www.overclock.net/t/922583/guide-to-carbon-fiber-wrap-gallery/190#post_19153256

I actually wrapped my desk in the same wrap... I will say this... be careful its a big pain in the ass! 

So right now my computer is black, and I was wanting to go with a white themed computer. So I looked online and I found a white carbon fiber vinyl wrap used on vehicles. I was thinking I could wrap this around my Spec-03 case easily because it can come apart easily. So what do you guys think, would it be worth it? 

I've wrapped a few things in my case with vinyl carbon fiber it's not a bad look but just don't over do it, too much looks tacky and I'm saying this when a large portion of my motherboard is done  :rolleyes:.

For smaller more intricate parts they can be a bear to wrap but side panels and large flat surfaces are fairly easy. Be sure to have a card squeegee and a hair dryer or a heat gun on low to stretch or curve the carbon fiber around compound curves or sharp edges.

Man, I was actually going to make a topic about this same thing.  The wrap in question is from 3M, and you are correct, it's meant to be used on cars.

I may actually do this... personally I think it's a bad ass idea, but anyone who has used this, how is it applied/how well does it work on plastic?  Would you need to sand the case?

There is no need to sand for wrap just clean it well and make sure there is no dust before applying and carbon fiber wrap will basically stick to anything with a smooth or lightly textured surface, if it's heavily texture it won't adhere properly and look bumpy.

you'll find flat surfaces pretty easy (air bubbles can the the devil). curved

surfaces get to be a little more advanced. will need vinyl adhesive and

heat gun. compound curves and concave angles will be torturous and need

elaborate thinking to make it not look like something was thrown on.