Pseudechis porphyriacus - The Bitfenix Prodigy with a bite

Random_her0
Here is a rad with with a red and black grill installed for comparison. Final thoughts on which is better, red or black?

LL

Keeping in mind that the coolant will be red, with black fittings I think the black grill is the way to go.

I agree. Red is a little to much. However if you kept the shroud black on the rad with the red grill it would look like a red belly black snake. But like I said loving the black grill with the red shroud.

Here is a rad with with a red and black grill installed for comparison. Final thoughts on which is better, red or black?

LL

Keeping in mind that the coolant will be red, with black fittings I think the black grill is the way to go.

I agree, the red grill on black would would me in keeping with the motif. However, if you consider the whole case, the red radiator on a black exterior is also in keeping with the motif. It depends on which part you focus on I suppose!

Custom Watercooled Parvum Systems S2.0: Vulpes

Combining spare parts into something worthy: Frankenstein

BitFenix Phenom gaming powerhouse: Blood in the Snow

LL

make the rings red, black, red ,black like targets

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

UPDATE #4 - Ghetto Rig

Received a BIG delivery. I now have every component I'll be using, except of course for the case - and I doubt I'll have that for another 2 weeks either frown.gif

Anyway, on to what I received today.

The bones of any build, the Mobo. I chose the EVGA Z77 stinger primarily for it's colour scheme + OCing capability. It's a beauty (and TINY). I really didn't expect the board to be this small, I even through in a Linus iPhone 4s size comparison to give you an idea.

1ba6fde9_IMG_0036.jpeg
fa15a4bc_IMG_0037.jpeg166c9b59_IMG_0038.jpeg

If the MoBo is the bones, I guess you could say the CPU would be the brain. But what about the GPU? The heart? The muscle? Whatever it is, It dwarves the MoBo, but I think it's gonna look awesome when I install the water block. Below are a couple of size comparison shots to give you an idea of just how big the 690 is versus the board, and also the EK 690 Nickel/Plexi waterblock.
13e129ad_IMG_0039.jpeg1390e929_IMG_0040.jpeg9c00e13e_IMG_0051.jpeg

Unfortunately, until I get my case I'm quite limited in what I can install. I'd love to get the GPU block and CPU block on but I really want to get everything installed and up and running in the meantime, so I had to leave the stock cooling on (as you will see later in my ghetto set up).

Tubing and coolant also arrived. I don't want to mix the Mayhem's concentrate until I'm ready to fill the loop.

5718ce9a_IMG_0042.jpeg170e404d_IMG_0048.jpeg

Next up are the fans. Corsair SP120 Performance editions. Really good performance and with the voltage adapter, they should run pretty silent (with the option of removing for greater performance if benching).

2c9cc6f4_IMG_0043.jpeg

I will be attaching the res using a UN designs bracket:

a155159b_IMG_0046.jpeg

The res itself? Its an EK-DDC X-Res 140 CSQ which will have a swiftech MCP35X-BK pump underneath. I'll probably go ahead and install these two tonight

8699fc9c_IMG_0049.jpeg2bddc9f6_IMG_0050.jpeg

Also a few other bits and bobs for cable management and aesthetics to keep with the motif:

ccb11663_IMG_0035.jpeg7715ccd1_IMG_0045.jpeg16dd8bba_IMG_0047.jpeg

That's a Phobya 6x3pin fan spliiter, Phobya 3pin to 4x3pin Y-cable and Corsair individually sleeved modular cables.

And finally, because it would be way too stressful to have all the components here and not be able to use them without the case, I opted to ghetto rig everything together using the Stinger box as a test bench-esque top. Been up and running for a couple of hours now, and all is well smile.gif

http://cdn.overclock.net/e/ea/ead1cf0b_IMG_0052.jpeg

Apologies for the wall of text and images, but I probably had more progress today than I have on any other day with this build. Still have a few updates to come, but probably not until the case arrives:

1) get everything into the case
2) set up the watercooling loop
3) cable management
4) fill the loop
5) OC
6) Bench

UPDATE #4 - Ghetto Rig

Received a BIG delivery. I now have every component I'll be using, except of course for the case - and I doubt I'll have that for another 2 weeks either frown.gif

The bones of any build, the Mobo. I chose the EVGA Z77 stinger primarily for it's colour scheme + OCing capability. It's a beauty (and TINY). I really didn't expect the board to be this small, I even through in a Linus iPhone 4s size comparison to give you an idea.

LL

LL

LL

If the MoBo is the bones, I guess you could say the CPU would be the brain. But what about the GPU? The heart? The muscle? Whatever it is, It dwarves the MoBo, but I think it's gonna look awesome when I install the water block. Below are a couple of size comparison shots to give you an idea of just how big the 690 is versus the board, and also the EK 690 Nickel/Plexi waterblock.

LL

LL

LL

Unfortunately, until I get my case I'm quite limited in what I can install. I'd love to get the GPU block and CPU block on but I really want to get everything installed and up and running in the meantime, so I had to leave the stock cooling on (as you will see later in my ghetto set up).

Tubing and coolant also arrived. I don't want to mix the Mayhem's concentrate until I'm ready to fill the loop.

LL

LL

Next up are the fans. Corsair SP120 Performance editions. Really good performance and with the voltage adapter, they should run pretty silent (with the option of removing for greater performance if benching).

LL

LL

The res itself? Its an EK-DDC X-Res 140 CSQ which will have a swiftech MCP35X-BK pump underneath. I'll probably go ahead and install these two tonight

LL

LL

Also a few other bits and bobs for cable management and aesthetics to keep with the motif:

LL

LL

LL

That's a Phobya 6x3pin fan spliiter, Phobya 3pin to 4x3pin Y-cable and Corsair individually sleeved modular cables.

And finally, because it would be way too stressful to have all the components here and not be able to use them without the case, I opted to ghetto rig everything together using the Stinger box as a test bench-esque top. Been up and running for a couple of hours now, and all is well smile.gif

LL

Apologies for the wall of text and images, but I probably had more progress today than I have on any other day with this build. Still have a few updates to come, but probably not until the case arrives:

3) cable management

4) fill the loop

5) OC

6) Bench

Where you get that board from. I was looking around Australia for that or the MSI one and couldn't find them. I'm gathering your from Oz as its the Australia Post Icon on the box. To be honest where have you purchased all this stuff from. oh and it looks amazing

UPDATE #4 - Ghetto Rig

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

3) cable management

4) fill the loop

5) OC

6) Bench

This particular batch of goodies came from Performancepcs.com in the US. You will have to pay some hefty delivery charges though, so it's better to make sure you get everything right in one order. NCIX was used for the GPU. I used ple.com.au for the rads, CPU, keyboard and some others. They are the best WA based retailer with free delivery if you spend over $300, Finally I used pccasegear.com for a lot of the fittings. Took me a long time going from e-tailer to e-tailer working out how best to organise the orders to minimize delivery costs, but they were still significant. Something I'm used to now living in Oz though. Hope that helps :)

so I got tired of waiting for the modified case to arrive and bought a (temporary) stock case. Everything is installed and up and running :) only a few last tweaks will be needed, hopefully I'll get some glamour shots up tomorrow with some performance numbers as well =D

UPDATE #5 - Water Loop Installation

Here's a few pics of the process of installing the loop. As you can see I changed the res position from where I originally had it. The reason for this was to try and make the tubing from the CPU waterblock outlet to the pump inlet as straight as possible, going over the RAM sticks.

Can't get a good picture of the lighting as I can only take it with the side panel off and it disperses (does light "disperse"?) unlike it will when the windowed side panels are installed, so will have to wait a bit. Also not 100% on how I will have the lighting set up, at least on the MoBo side.

Also received the quiet edition SP120s this morning and installed them. Made a world of difference to me. I'm very very picky when it comes to loud systems, and these were a must for me. That does mean I have 4 Corsair 120SP Performance editions for sale to anyone in Aus, PM me if interested.

So without further ado, here are some loop building pics, as well as some completed pics as well :) 
1f1b6d0e_IMG_0054.jpegd65c3c1e_IMG_0056.jpega5a66669_IMG_0058.jpegacae9a1b_IMG_0059.jpeg

Removed most of the sidepanel connectors, leaving only power/reset and power/reset LED. This is mainly for cable managment purposes as I won't need them

0fba4fe7_IMG_0069.jpeg6cd238be_IMG_0073.jpeg59113099_IMG_0084.jpeg

This pic was taken with the LED strip directly above the GPU, I have since moved it as it made everything a different colour (coolant pinkish, rads orangey). LED is now under the GPU so it only illuminates the block and not the tubing/rads. Much nicer this way, makes everything much more consistent

0d582d1b_IMG_0089.jpeg33b7358b_IMG_0106.jpeg

On the right u can see my intention for where the LED strip will be, not sure about this, but it's too bright elsewhere. The side panel should block is out a bit. - won't be able to till until windowed panels are installed.

N/B: I know I've mentioned this before, but just to clarify, the radiators are not that orange IRL. in some of my previous pictures I've edited to the saturation to make them more like they do, but I CBF touching up those.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow...this looks amazing...great work!

AMD Radeon R9 290X / AMD FX-8320 / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / Samsung 830 128GB / Seagate 7200RPM 3TB / Corsair HX 850W / BitFenix Shinobi XL / CPU & GPU Watercooled - Thick Triple 360 Rad

This is an amazing build. Love it. Well done. Hope Linus gets to see this and shows it on his live show.

Wow...this looks amazing...great work!

Thanks a lot :)

This is an amazing build. Love it. Well done. Hope Linus gets to see this and shows it on his live show.

Wow, thanks!! It still isn't done yet, but will be a long wait before my next big update. Very sadly the guy in the US who will be sending me the side panels and front panel had a brain aneurism. He is ok, but will obviously need some time, so I now have no ETA on when they will be arriving. In the mean time I keep thinking of other little mods I could do, I have the bug ;)

I'd love to see Linus and Slick put together a water cooled prodigy. Together I'm sure they could deliver something stunning

• 4 weeks later...

This is the coolest Prodigy build I have ever seen O.O the red liquid in the waterblocks looks absolutely amazing. Good job :D

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

I saw the thread title and thought "Why are they posting about red bellies?" haha. Keen to see the end result.

Looks awesome, hope I can build something half as good in the future

• 2 weeks later...

Would an aircooled GTX690 be a bad idea in this case? I'm not planning to overclock it. I want to do a very similar build but I have no experience with watercooling.

• 7 months later...

so, it's been a loooooooooooooooooooooong time since I've updated. I have some good news and some less good news. First, the good news:

This PC has been up and running for about 8 months and I <3 it muchly. Beasts games at 2560x1440 with some OCing on the 690 and silent as you like. Also, I have added a windowed side panel (GPU side) and a new front panel that better suits the colour scheme.

Now, the less good news. As you can see in the photos, after 8 months my Mayhem's pastel red turned into a very odd colour, more like a deep maroon. I'm unsure of what has caused this change but it really irks me as it contrasts with the other red of the case HORRIBLY. Solution time! Anyone else had a similar issue?

1e6cc84d_DSC_0005.jpegf010c347_DSC_0024.jpeg1d79b284_DSC_0036.jpeg17a1cf79_DSC_0016.jpegcf12edef_DSC_0019.jpegad60bed8_DSC_0022.jpeg

What I'm thinking of doing is replacing the pastel red with pastel white. Red/white/black looks boss so I'm sure it will work in this situation. Furthermore I have put in place the motions to FINALLY get the right side panel windowed  ^_^. Also, I think I'll change the RAM for:

dom_gt_board-closeupx2_1_2.png

I think the red just matches the build more accurately. Or maybe some platinums with light bar  :wub:  :wub:

Lastly, and I'm not 100% on this one but I think I'll give it a go, I'll be trying acrylic tubing to get some straighter runs, nice right angles without the excessive use of fittings that I currently have! I'll also be able to get up and above the RAM with the larger heat sink.

None of this will be occurring til Feb/March of next year however as I'm returning home for University holidays and leaving this PC here. However, I have a PC there I want to to work on. it's a SLi 570 set up in  a rather large HAF 932 that I want to transfer into a Phenom M   :D Should be fun and I'll post some pics.

Oh, and can a mod please move this to the "build log" forum? Originally posted this thread before the different categories came up! thanks

Oh man! This build is unreal!

Main Rig | Dell u3415w | Enthoo Evolv ATX - Intel i7 5930k - Corsair H110i GTX - ASUS X99-A - Samsung 850 Evo 250GB - WD Black 1TB - Corsair LPX 4x8GB - EVGA ACX 780 Ti |

Home Media Server | Fractal Design Node 304 - Intel 4770k - ASUS Z87I Deluxe - Kingston V300 120GB - 2x Western Digital Red 3TB - Crucial Ballistix Sport 1x8GB |

Developer System | 2012 Apple Mac Mini - Intel i5 - 16GB - Samsung 840 250GB - 500GB |

Commuting Tech | 2015 Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13" - Intel i5 - 8GB - 128GB | Apple iPad Air 16GB | iPhone 6 64GB |

Oh man! This build is unreal!

Thanks ! Long way to go still (probably will ALWAYS be a work in progress if I'm honest  :D )

please post us when youre done!

LOOK AT MY TUBE, MY TUBE IS AMAZING. DONT LICK IT IT DOESN'T TASTE LIKE ANYTHING. IT DOESN'T HAVE A MANE OR PENIS EITHER. SHUT UP.

I didnt mind your red grills over your rads.

Made it look like the rad airflow was making the grills PIPING hot :) Cept twas not :)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

why don't you replace the coolant?

4770k | GTX 780 | 350D | 16GB RAM | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 750w PSU | Kraken x60 | Custom Sleeved Cables | ASUS PB287Q

Build Log 

why don't you replace the coolant?

As I said in my recent post, I will be. I'll be going for pastel white instead 

I didnt mind your red grills over your rads.

Made it look like the rad airflow was making the grills PIPING hot :) Cept twas not :)

I still have the red grills somewhere. I might well use them after changing the coolant to white as I think, in that case, it will be less of a "red overload" which was what was holding me back prior.

please post us when youre done!

I'll be posting as I go along! Hope to have it completely finished in 6 months with acrylic tubing, new coolant, right side panel window etc  :)

Hard to read the first page or so with the dark theme and dark text. Looks really nice so far.