Quantum Dot technology will be showcased at CES 2015 by LG

WereCat

Hi,  hopefully this is not repost. I checked in news but didnt found it here.

Source: http://www.lg.com/uk/press-release/quantum-dot-technology-to-join-lgs-4k-ultra-hd-tv-line-up-in-2015

LG’s quantum dot technology displays an extremely wide colour gamut, making it ideal for 4K content. The technology works by harnessing nano crystals that range in size from two to 10 nanometres. Each dot emits a different colour depending on its size. By adding a film of quantum dots in front of the LCD backlight, picture colour reproduction rate and overall brightness are significantly improved.

Since the nano-sized dots emit extraordinarily vivid colours, quantum dot technology is able to enhance the already stunning capabilities of LG’s 4K ULTRA HD In-Plane Switching (IPS) displays. The colour reproduction rate in LG’s IPS panels, which offers high colour accuracy and extra-wide viewing angles, is increased with the addition of the quantum dot film by more than 30 percent compared with conventional LCD/LED TVs.

2015-01-03-lg-qd-1.jpg

Personaly I dont care much about TVs but it is cool nonetheless. Im more interested if they can put this technology into monitors and if it will allow IPS like screens with higher refresh rate while maintain lower or at least the same response time.

If they put it in a monitor :o

If you think of this from a professional editors perspective, the color accuracy would be amazing for their work.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

If they put it in a monitor :o

I still hold crossed fingers and hope that they will surprise us with OLED monitors on CES ... (not going to happen :( )

I still hold crossed fingers and hope that they will surprise us with OLED monitors on CES ... (not going to happen :( )

At this point in time I don't care about new tech because I can't afford it anyways.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

At this point in time I don't care about new tech because I can't afford it anyways.

Well, still... as long as it drives prices of current tech down...

Aw, balls.

I thought it had something to do with quantum physics. 

Disappointment!

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

OLED is the technology that makes everything else obsolete, IPS, VA, quantum dots too.... 

But OLED is still too expensive.

We might see some "affordable" 4k OLED tv`s, if we are VERY lucky.

But its not yet time for OLED monitors. I can assure you that. You can put aside your crossed fingers till next years CES.

OLED is the technology that makes everything else obsolete, IPS, VA, quantum dots too.... 

But OLED is still too expensive.

We might see some "affordable" 4k OLED tv`s, if we are VERY lucky.

But its not yet time for OLED monitors. I can assure you that. You can put aside your crossed fingers till next years CES.

the LG OLED in PC World in UK is pretty fucking amazing... looks better than some 4Ks in full HD.

I still stand by what I have been saying for years. 4K TV's are not the new goal to get. OLED TV's are still being finalized too, and the two will merge. 4K OLED will be a sight to behold.

Beyond that, I honestly believe 4K will go the way of 720p. 720p was just as amazing as 4K is now and 1080p pushed it under the rug after a few years. I think once 4K becomes household cheap, 8K will be the premium just a year or two after it happens and will reign for a decade after as 1080p did.

I hate how "quantum" is becoming a buzzword. Are the "dots" in a superposition of different color values, making it easier and faster to switch between colors? No? Is there another quantum technology at use here? No? Then this is not quantum anything.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

I hate how "quantum" is becoming a buzzword. Are the "dots" in a superposition of different color values, making it easier and faster to switch between colors? No? Is there another quantum technology at use here? No? Then this is not quantum anything.

Its just a name.. like French Fries and a lot of other things. And also marketing strategy because it sounds cool.

EDIT:

Quantum/Quantity = amount

Dots = nano crystals (one crystal is "dot" because it is really small)

Quantum dots = a lot of nano crystals .. kinda makes sense.

what's extra wide viewing angles anyway? what will i be able to watch my tv from a 181° angle now?

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window