Mini-ITX Build- AMD or Intel?

Hi guys,

Just to start off, I'd like to say that I haven't assembled a computer since 775 was all the rage. Haven't had the time, money or need for anything more powerful...

Anyway, I'm thinking about throwing together a Mini-ITX based system, mainly for portability. My question is, do I use AMD, or Intel?

So far, I think I've gathered that the best motherboard I can buy for AMD based processors is an FM2+ socket based board. I've read mixed information on how good this processor is, and it's kind of hard to work out because everyone is going on about it's graphics ability.

Basically, I plan on using my current 6950 GPU, and buy a more efficient and modern card at a later date, as I'm building this on the cheap side. I've also already organised memory (16Gb) and a case that can take lengthy graphic cards, as well as a 700w Power Supply.

The other side is Intel, I could get an i3, or possibly an i5... I think i7 is a little bit expensive for me. You're probably wondering what I'll be doing with it, and the answer to that is a little gaming, programming, and 3D design. And of course, I love cranking up games to maximum visual settings...  ;)

Let me know what you guys think. I would love to go with AMD due to the price, but I don't mind spending a little extra, even for an i5 if it's a drastic improvement. That'll probably be better for the long run anyway.

Thanks.  :)

there are more ITX choices for intel, they also generally run cooler which is important when using a small chassis

if you can afford it look into the cheaper i5s like the 4440 and 4460, great bang for buck! and you dont need expensive Z boards to run them either since they are not overclockable 

But knowing your budget would help

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Only go with AMD if you can't afford a heater in your house, otherwise Intel is your best bet. :D;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Intell, if you go for an i5 you have an upgrade pathway to the i7. You will also make a further saving on electricity as they utilize far less power these days and generate much less heat.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

It generally seems like there is more ITX options on the intel side of things.

Only go with AMD if you can't afford a heater in your house, otherwise Intel is your best bet. :D;)

Then again if you can't afford the heater, you probably won't be able to pay the AMDs power bill. ;)

It depends on what kind of games you're playing and your budget. A FM2+ Athlon can be very cheap and is suitable for many games.  

You will also make a further saving on electricity as they utilize far less power these days and generate much less heat.

It's not actually that much of a difference.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It's not actually that much of a difference.

Per annum its not an insignificant value at all. Especially when considering one can acquire an Intel processor that can completely thrash it's AMD counterpart while at the same time consuming between a two thirds or even half of the power.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Per annum its not an insignificant value at all. Especially when considering one can acquire an Intel processor that can completely thrash it's AMD counterpart while at the same time consuming between a two thirds or even half of the power.

It's not that much outside of the extremes.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It generally seems like there is more ITX options on the intel side of things.Then again if you can't afford the heater, you probably won't be able to pay the AMD power bill. ;)

Haha, true that! :D

Thanks for all the responses!  :)

Alright, well, seems like I'll be going with Intel. Some people have already provided good information on this already... But, i3, or i5? And what model?

My budget... Hmm... Well, I've sorted the other stuff out, so for the CPU and Motherboard, probably $300. I could possibly do $400. It's hard to say.

Games would be stuff like League, Sonic Racing (Cartoon-y racing stuff), Portal and Portal 2 (Finished them :() I would like to try Arma? Heard it's good, wouldn't run on my build at the moment though.

Worms... Armageddon. Yeah. I hope it can run that.  :D

I want to try out some of the latest and greatest games. Still pretty vague information in all but that's probably all I can say.  ;)

Thanks for all the responses!  :)

Alright, well, seems like I'll be going with Intel. Some people have already provided good information on this already... But, i3, or i5? And what model?

My budget... Hmm... Well, I've sorted the other stuff out, so for the CPU and Motherboard, probably $300. I could possibly do $400. It's hard to say.

Games would be stuff like League, Sonic Racing (Cartoon-y racing stuff), Portal and Portal 2 (Finished them :() I would like to try Arma? Heard it's good, wouldn't run on my build at the moment though.

Worms... Armageddon. Yeah. I hope it can run that.  :D

I want to try out some of the latest and greatest games. Still pretty vague information in all but that's probably all I can say.  ;)

For games like Arma, you'd want to go with an i5. For everything else mentioned, an i3 would be plenty.

This might help you from back when I was conducting a ton of my own research into much the same conundrum.

This might help you from back when I was conducting a tone of my own research into much the same conundrum.

For gaming the 8320 doesnt come close , i have seen it bottleneck many cards.

For the cpu+mobo combo i would suggest this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: ASRock B85M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $335.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-02 07:01 EST-0500

The Xeon is a insane value and shouldn't be overlooked , its 80 w for a hyperthreaded cpu thats as good as a locked i7 but much cheaper.

The Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 is the older Haswell-based Xeon CPU. The newer Haswell Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 is the most recent Haswell-based Xeon processor. ;)

@zappian

I think an Intel i5 solution would be a sweetspot for you based on your uses.

I agree with this completely. If you are serious about gaming and programming for that matter than the i5 is definitely the way to go and as I mentioned it will open up the upgrade pathway to an i7 for you.

I agree with this completely. If you are serious about gaming and programming for that matter than the i5 is definitely the way to go and as I mentioned it will open up the upgrade pathway to an i7 for you.

For ops budget i think either an overclocked i5 or a xeon would be good options.

I have given my part suggestion , i think the xeon i mentioned is insane value and a lot of builders are using it.