i5 4460 vs FX 8350

I'm building a budget system and I'm trying to decide between these two chips. I'm currently leaning towards the i5 because it will be primarily used for gaming and in that arena the i5 will pull slightly ahead of the 8350. However it will also be used for a wider verity of tasks such as compiling code and limited virtualization which play to the strengths of the 8350.

Another consideration in the favour of the i5 is the superior motherboard technology.

While researching this was of particular interest:

I imagine it will invariably come down to Intel's stronger single core performance versus AMD's weaker but more numerous core availability. What I am wondering however is if anyone has first hand experience perhaps reaching equivalent/superior performance by overclocking the AMD chip. Though I'd value any other thoughts on the matter :)

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Call em a fanboy buy 99% of the time id take the i5

Go with the i5.

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

i5. I'm gonna go with i5 4460 and r9 280. :)
P.S. I'm AMD fanboy :D

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

LMAO I'll just go with the i5 then!  :lol:

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

i5. Even though the FX might be a little bit faster in some of the workloads you list, it does so at twice the power consumption, heat and noise.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

Which kind of virtualization are we talking about?

Hyper V, KVM, proxmox, VM-ware, Virtualbox?

as much as i would like to recommend the FX CPU, if you are any serious about your gaming i'd say go for the core i5...and by making that you have an option to sell this cpu which will retain great value it being a locked part and purchase something like a i7-4790K that will run at 4.4ghz out of the box on your cheap motherboard if you ever find yourself in need for more power in the future...the FX CPU can cope fairly well with the i5 in many newer multi-threaded games, but the fact that it consumes way more energy and also the fact that there is no worthy upgrade for it and will probably never be (at least not with the AM3+ socket) i would defenetly pick a locked i5...look for the i5-4590 BTW it's like 3$ more in the US ATM.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Which kind of virtualization are we talking about?

Hyper V, KVM, proxmox, VM-ware, Virtualbox?

We are talking about very limited virtualization in this specific context; Virtualbox/VMware hosted small local VMs (cross platform). The serious virtualization is deferred to my ESXi based hypervisor. Even upon the conclusion of typing that out I know that the i5 is ideal for this...

I would say i5 better heat, better power consumption, upgradepility.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I would say i5 better heat, better power consumption, upgradepility.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650