Will 2015 be the year of 4K?

SSOB

Hell my house's main TV is still 480P

LOL. Alot of the TV's in my house are still tubes, and my family doesn't seem to care much, and neither do I.

A computer Monitor is a different story though.

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

Hell my house's main TV is still 480P

That sucks to hear bro.

Interested in Business and Technology

LOL. Alot of the TV's in my house are still tubes, and my family doesn't seem to care much, and neither do I.

A computer Monitor is a different story though.

That is pretty much our house other than mine and my brothers rooms, we both bought our own TVs

That sucks to hear bro.

Mine is a 1080p which is fine considering how much I use it (maybe once a month)

TV, I doubt it. There just isn't the 4K content out there to make it worth while yet.

PC gaming, depends what happens in the GPU market. The FPS on 2x 980 SLI and 2x 290x CF setups don't look that great for the latest AAA titles maxxed out at 4K, especially for the amount of money they cost. If the AMD 390 (assuming that's what it ends up being called) can deliver reasonable performance at 4K, maybe. But I think 2016 being the year of 4K is more likely.

There is a difference in resolutions for consumption and production. 1440p is fine for computer displays, but it will never have the widespread adoption like 720p, 1080p, 2K or 4K (or even 5K) because it's not a production standard. Nearly every movie you see in a movie theatre these days is 2K resolution (it's only a couple hundred pixels added to the horizontal; it's still 1080 vertical pixels), not 1440p.

I personally would like to get a 4K IPS display in 2015, but I also do a lot of content creation. When I do get a 4K display I'll either SLI my 780 or if I have enough money I'll just buy a 980 SLI setup and keep the 780 for another rig. I have no plans for a 4K television as there isn't enough content yet and I don't have a room/space big enough to really justify it.

The way I see things 1440p will replace 1080p, and prices will be proportional kinda like this.

720p - 1080p -1440p - 4K

|             |          |          |

$=          $=       $=      $=

|             |          |          |

1080p -1440p - 4K - (5K?)

Dude, already in Denmark, we see the 590d samsung 4k screen at the 1440p prices. I can get 4k for around 300-350£(convert to your own currency) which is around the same price as 1440p if you want a proper one.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

How much do you think is a lot of people?

1%?

Look at steam charts, i doubt there will be more 4k monitors than there are 1440 right now,by the end of 2015, which is also a tiny market share, luckily that standard(QHD) is dead and we are moving past it to uHD

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

I'll be getting 1440p if anything.

Again, What if 4K is only 20-30% more expensive (200USD for 1440P, 280 USD For 4K.) 

How much do you think is a lot of people?

1%?

Look at steam charts, i doubt there will be more 4k monitors than there are 1440 right now,by the end of 2015, which is also a tiny market share, luckily that standard(QHD) is dead and we are moving past it to uHD

I think TV's ~30% of people

PC's ~20%

Again, What if 4K is only 20-30% more expensive (200USD for 1440P, 280 USD For 4K.) 

Considering I got my 1080p TV for $150. This leads me to think 1440p will be the one replacing 1080p even more.

4K already makes the most sense for a PC monitor. The recent price drops in both TN and IPS monitors have made this realistic in the second half of 2014. People go on about the "impossible graphics power needed" but two R9 290s have always been capable, it's the monitors themselves that needed the price drop. The 290(X) has recently had a massive price cut and two 970s cost about the same as what a 780 Ti used to cost so I think it's, while still not cheap, much more attainable than it was a year ago.

I don't think it necessarily makes sense for TVs though. Unless you are getting a massive TV. What does make more sense is a 4K projector, and having and entire wall to use as a screen instead of a TV. And even that will depend massively on having actual 4K media to display on it.

I'll probably still get 1440p. I'd much prefer super high framerates over better graphical quality at this point, and considering I think 1080p already looks good enough, 1440p should be stellar for me. :P

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

No. 4k as an official standard is off for a while. Until they release a 4k 144Hz monitor as the same price of lets say the Asus VG248QE then I don't see it happening. Also until they release a single gpu that produces the same results as a gtx 980 does for 1080p where it can push over 90 fps on Crysis 3. The 980 still struggles to hit 30 fps on a 4k monitor. Ref................http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/16

As for tv goes most cable companies don't even broadcast in 1080p. I have Time Warner and they only broadcast in 1080i and same with AT&T for my area. Buying a 4k tv is a waste anyways because most 4k tvs are HDMI 1.4 and not even HDMI 2.0 so enjoy watching or playing a game at 30Hz when the new consoles come out lol. I feel sorry for those who bought 4k tvs. My friend said "I love playing grand theft auto 5 on the xbox one at 4k" and he has a 4k that only supports HDMI 1.4 and a console only supports HDMI 1.4. ok First off he is not even playing at 4k but no sense in arguing with someone with no tech knowledge.

I don't see any HDMI 2.0 UHD tvs for under $1000 msrp. https://www.google.com/search?q=hdmi+2.0+tv&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us%3AIE-SearchBox&oe=&gws_rd=ssl&oq=&gs_l=

You have to understand that the majority of people are not willing to pay so much on a tv.

Edit: I forgot to mention that a 4k tv does not even make any sense unless you are sitting extremely close to the tv. You won't even notice a difference. You would need at least an 80 inch 4k tv to notice a difference at 5 feet away. Most people I know sit 8-10 feet away so good luck in buying your 130" 4k tv.

Example: http://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I'll probably still get 1440p. I'd much prefer super high framerates over better graphical quality at this point, and considering I think 1080p already looks good enough, 1440p should be stellar for me. :P

Man you gotta see 4K in action, Especially the curved panels with awesome contrast. Speaking from experience, it is something else man. But it also comes down to things like your eyesight etc.

For everyone mentioning 1440p as an alternative:

1440p is NOT a broadcast standard. You cannot buy TV's in 1440p. 1440p will be Monitor only. So will it be the year of 1440p instead of 4K? No. Not unless you're strictly referring to the PC Tech Enthusiast sub-section of humanity, which is a very small number.

4K will be the next broadcast/Home cinema standard. Will 2015 be the year of 4K? Well that entirely depends on how you define it. Will most people upgrade to 4K in 2015? Hells no. There are still tons of people that don't even have 1080p HDTV's (My girlfriend and her mother are included in that).

Will 4K be the "big thing" that retailers push in 2015? Hells fucking yeah it will be. Black Friday 2015 will be the sales day for 4K TV's. You'll see them at ridiculous prices you would have never imagined.

So to answer the question (TL;DR):

It depends

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

No. 4k as an official standard is off for a while. Until they release a 4k 144Hz monitor as the same price of lets say the Asus VG248QE then I don't see it happening. Also until they release a single gpu that produces the same results as a gtx 980 does for 1080p where it can push over 90 fps on Crysis 3. The 980 still struggles to hit 30 fps on a 4k monitor. Ref................http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/16

As for tv goes most cable companies don't even broadcast in 1080p. I have Time Warner and they only broadcast in 1080i and same with AT&T for my area. Buying a 4k tv is a waste anyways because most 4k tvs are HDMI 1.4 and not even HDMI 2.0 so enjoy watching or playing a game at 30Hz when the new consoles come out lol. I feel sorry for those who bought 4k tvs. My friend said "I love playing grand theft auto 5 on the xbox one at 4k" and he has a 4k that only supports HDMI 1.4 and a console only supports HDMI 1.4. ok First off he is not even playing at 4k but no sense in arguing with someone with no tech knowledge.

I don't see any HDMI 2.0 UHD tvs for under $1000 msrp. https://www.google.com/search?q=hdmi+2.0+tv&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us%3AIE-SearchBox&oe=&gws_rd=ssl&oq=&gs_l=

You have to understand that the majority of people are not willing to pay so much on a tv.

Edit: I forgot to mention that a 4k tv does not even make any sense unless you are sitting extremely close to the tv. You won't even notice a difference. You would need at least an 80 inch 4k tv to notice a difference at 5 feet away. Most people I know sit 8-10 feet away so good luck in buying your 130" 4k tv.

Example: http://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/

I notice a difference, even from far away. ( I got pretty good eyesight tho...) 

You've got a point on the second one but it's not as valid as it was a few years ago, I will explain. You see a couple of years ago things like netflix and youtube weren't as big s they are now, streaming was considered a small market and if you remember, back when 1080P came out there were pretty much no broadcasts that pushed that resolution, nevertheless people bought those TV's to be ''futureproof'' or w/e. Nowadays I see more and more content being 4K.

Second, ( Did you read my post) there are lots of TV's under 1K that have HDMI 2.0. Such as this one:

http://www.foka.nl/lg-40ub800v

And again ( have you read my post???) I clearly mentioned that It all will depend on the R9 390X , will that card be able to drive 4K at 40-60FPS Ultra-High?

For everyone mentioning 1440p as an alternative:

1440p is NOT a broadcast standard. You cannot buy TV's in 1440p. 1440p will be Monitor only. So will it be the year of 1440p instead of 4K? No. Not unless you're strictly referring to the PC Tech Enthusiast sub-section of humanity, which is a very small number.

4K will be the next broadcast/Home cinema standard. Will 2015 be the year of 4K? Well that entirely depends on how you define it. Will most people upgrade to 4K in 2015? Hells no. There are still tons of people that don't even have 1080p HDTV's (My girlfriend and her mother are included in that).

Will 4K be the "big thing" that retailers push in 2015? Hells fucking yeah it will be. Black Friday 2015 will be the sales day for 4K TV's. You'll see them at ridiculous prices you would have never imagined.

So to answer the question (TL;DR):

It depends

Finally someone who understands!

Man you gotta see 4K in action, Especially the curved panels with awesome contrast. Speaking from experience, it is something else man. But it also comes down to things like your eyesight etc.

Maybe for monitors where you sit close but you won't really notice it for tvs unless you sit like 3 feet away from a 55" tv.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html a chart if you have 20/20 vision.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Maybe for monitors where you sit close but you won't really notice it for tvs unless you sit like 3 feet away from a 55" tv.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html a chart if you have 20/20 vision.

I usually sit about 1.5-2 meters from my TV, and I notice the difference. But don't look at me since I have really good eyesight.

I usually sit about 1.5-2 meters from my TV, and I notice the difference. But don't look at me since I have really good eyesight.

What size screen and I wish I had great eyesight lol.

What size screen and I wish I had great eyesight lol.

42'' and, it's not that great honestly. I used to wear glasses as a child but that was mainly because I had a lazy eye.