Gunnar Eyewears or F.lux Software?

I tend to have eye dryness and few headaches these days when I code for long so I think I should find a solution. Tried asking some of my friends and fellow gamers what are their opinions.

Some suggested using a gunnar eyewear but might cost a bit (In my country, the Desmo and Scope is discounted and the price for both is $62.57(converted to USD). The Scope is unavailable though.) OR just use the free software f.lux.

I gave f.lux a try and it still stings a bit at 4000k in the settings. Was wondering if the gunnar eyewear can eliminate it entirely.

Opinions guys especially for those who are using gunnar eyewears?

| CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | MoBo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | RAM: T-Force Delta RGB (2x8) 16GB 3200MHz (Black) | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti OC | Case: NZXT H500 (Black) | HDD: WD Black 2TB + Seagate Barracuda 4TB | SSD: Crucial MX500 2TB | PSU: Seasonic GX-550 | Monitor: 3x Asus VC239H |

As Jayz2Cents points out: You can use Gunnar Glasses with any device.

Flux, takes installation time, and isn't available on all devices.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

yes, I found @JayzTwoCents review very informative on the subject.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

yes, I found @JayzTwoCents review very informative on the subject.

As did i. I think he's the perfect example of who the product is meant for. simply, the tech enthusiast, or anyone else that spends a lot of time looking at monitors.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

As did i. I think he's the perfect example of who the product is meant for. simply, the tech enthusiast, or anyone else that spends a lot of time looking at monitors.

They'd be hard to use if already have glass though, like I do.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

They'd be hard to use if already have glass though, like I do.

True, i'm probably going to encounter the same problem eventually..

I tend to have eye dryness and few headaches these days when I code for long so I think I should find a solution. Tried asking some of my friends and fellow gamers what are their opinions.

Some suggested using a gunnar eyewear but might cost a bit (In my country, the Desmo and Scope is discounted and the price for both is $62.57(converted to USD). The Scope is unavailable though.) OR just use the free software f.lux.

I gave f.lux a try and it still stings a bit at 4000k in the settings. Was wondering if the gunnar eyewear can eliminate it entirely.

Opinions guys especially for those who are using gunnar eyewears?

62 dollars for a more effective solution, 

or free, with additional time wasted.

ie, do you value your wallet, or your time and eyes more.

62 dollars for a more effective solution, 

or free, with additional time wasted.

ie, do you value your wallet, or your time and eyes more.

Personally I would try the gunnars.

Didn't expect fast replies on this question but thanks for the feedback everyone.

Haven't seen Jayz2Cents review yet since I was just looking for reviews specifically on the Desmo variant. There were lots of bashes on the comment section though for gunnar eyewears and mostly were saying it's a waste of money, you can just get a yellow lens and you're good to go or it's just a marketing like these so called "gaming" glasses and stuffs and so on but I can't justify yet since I haven't tried it myself.

I don't mind the orange or amber whatever you call it visual appearance, I just want to be able to stay long in the computer for coding and play CS:GO when I'm out of ideas.

I'll go check his review for a while, is this the one bro?

| CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | MoBo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | RAM: T-Force Delta RGB (2x8) 16GB 3200MHz (Black) | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti OC | Case: NZXT H500 (Black) | HDD: WD Black 2TB + Seagate Barracuda 4TB | SSD: Crucial MX500 2TB | PSU: Seasonic GX-550 | Monitor: 3x Asus VC239H |

Ohw and about the f.lux software, am I using the right one? lol 

I got mine from https://justgetflux.com/ and the installation was fast and easy. It makes the screen go a bit orange though and is adjustable, I believe it's reducing/removing(dunno what's the right term for this) some blue and green spectrum.

Didn't expect fast replies on this question but thanks for the feedback everyone.

Haven't seen Jayz2Cents review yet since I was just looking for reviews specifically on the Desmo variant. There were lots of bashes on the comment section though for gunnar eyewears and mostly were saying it's a waste of money, you can just get a yellow lens and you're good to go or it's just a marketing like these so called "gaming" glasses and stuffs and so on but I can't justify yet since I haven't tried it myself.

I don't mind the orange or amber whatever you call it visual appearance, I just want to be able to stay long in the computer for coding and play CS:GO when I'm out of ideas.

I'll go check his review for a while, is this the one bro?

That's the review

It could be just marketing, after all flux does just change the tint

Need to ask someone who uses them (not a reviewer as they may have agendas :) )

That's the review

It could be just marketing, after all flux does just change the tint

Need to ask someone who uses them (not a reviewer as they may have agendas :) )

I use them... More convenient and flexible than flux. I can't install flux on my work computer, nor on my friends and families devices

I would recommend them.

i use to get eye strain but then i put some LEDs behind my monitor and haven't had eye strain yet 

dont know why its upside down wasn't on puush?

dNMfx.jpg

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

I've got a pair and although I don't wear them all the time when my head starts hurting or my eyes are a bit strained i put them on and after a while its no longer an issue. When I know I'm going to be sitting down for a long period of time I do put them on though.They are definitely worth the money if you spend a good deal of time staring into these big bright light sources!

I've also noticed that having some lighting behind your monitors seems to help. I'm currently waiting for a roll of warm white LED lights to arrive so i can hook them up behind my monitors.

I use them... More convenient and flexible than flux. I can't install flux on my work computer, nor on my friends and families devices

I would recommend them.

I've got a pair and although I don't wear them all the time when my head starts hurting or my eyes are a bit strained i put them on and after a while its no longer an issue. When I know I'm going to be sitting down for a long period of time I do put them on though.They are definitely worth the money if you spend a good deal of time staring into these big bright light sources!

I've also noticed that having some lighting behind your monitors seems to help. I'm currently waiting for a roll of warm white LED lights to arrive so i can hook them up behind my monitors.

Which model are you guys using? The Desmo seems nice since it's semi-rimless but looks flimsy. Planning to get one though since it's the only variant available here in my area :I

i use to get eye strain but then i put some LEDs behind my monitor and haven't had eye strain yet 

dont know why its upside down wasn't on puush?

dNMfx.jpg

I'm using a laptop sadly :(

Sounds to me that your monitor uses a PWM to drive the backlight and not a dimmer circuit, and you are sensitive to it, like many.

A way to confirm this, is when you set your monitor to max brightness, beside the fact that it burns your eyes due to the high intensity, hehe, does it feel better in some way? If so, then the above is most likely the problem.

At max brightness, the PWM circuit is turned off.

The way it works is that the PWM (or pulse width modulation) circuit flickers on and off at a certain high frequency to control the brightness of the monitor back light. It is used on monitors as a cheap alternative over dimmer circuit.

Not only it costs less to implement, but also uses less power, which is why it is also commonly used on mobile devices. But on the desktop space, it's just used to make the monitor more affordable.

The flickering is so fast that your brain does corrections on the image the eyes sees and smooth it out, but these eyes can't be fooled, and this is where many people have headaches, or dry eyes (they try to focus hard on the screen, so they don't blink as often).

I would look into a monitor that doesn't use a PWM to drive the backlight.

TFTCentral in depth monitor review sites test monitors for this. So it may worth a look  in selecting your next monitor.

By the way, I am sensitive to PWM driven back light monitor. So yes, I need to cash out extra on a monitor and wait for in depth monitor reviews to see for this, before buying a monitor.

For me, dry eyes can be helped by drinking a lot of water. Of course, that is excluding allergies, medication and health issues. And if course, I am no professional.

I always have a bottle of water next to me when I code or use the computer. Maybe you should try this if you are not. They say that it helps with concentration as well, and digestion, as you make sure you are always hydrated.

See if it helps. Also, tend to look at your keyboard as you type, just to get your eyes off that screen. These small eye breaks should help.

Gunnar's only work for 8/10 people, but when they work they're magical.  If you combine Gunnar's with a Flicker free monitor, you're set.  Just purely.. SET.  I'd say Gunnar's galore as they're physical and have been tested time and time again by youtubers and many others alike with some very good results and impressions.

Which model are you guys using? The Desmo seems nice since it's semi-rimless but looks flimsy. Planning to get one though since it's the only variant available here in my area :I

I'm using a laptop sadly :(

I've got the vayper onyx. I originally wanted the MLGs if I remember correctly but couldn't get stock out where I am...  -_-

@ZeferiniX

F.lux is useless, dosn't block all blue light rays. And Gunnar are overpriced. Get NoScope glasses, despite their name, their 20$ and I like them, use them 4 to 3 hours before going to bed and I sleep quicker and I'm less awake and get better sleep nights. I gladly support them. https://www.noscopeglasses.com/

Sounds to me that your monitor uses a PWM to drive the backlight and not a dimmer circuit, and you are sensitive to it, like many.

A way to confirm this, is when you set your monitor to max brightness, beside the fact that it burns your eyes due to the high intensity, hehe, does it feel better in some way? If so, then the above is most likely the problem.

At max brightness, the PWM circuit is turned off.

The way it works is that the PWM (or pulse width modulation) circuit flickers on and off at a certain high frequency to control the brightness of the monitor back light. It is used on monitors as a cheap alternative over dimmer circuit.

Not only it costs less to implement, but also uses less power, which is why it is also commonly used on mobile devices. But on the desktop space, it's just used to make the monitor more affordable.

The flickering is so fast that your brain does corrections on the image the eyes sees and smooth it out, but these eyes can't be fooled, and this is where many people have headaches, or dry eyes (they try to focus hard on the screen, so they don't blink as often).

I would look into a monitor that doesn't use a PWM to drive the backlight.

TFTCentral in depth monitor review sites test monitors for this. So it may worth a look  in selecting your next monitor.

By the way, I am sensitive to PWM driven back light monitor. So yes, I need to cash out extra on a monitor and wait for in depth monitor reviews to see for this, before buying a monitor.

For me, dry eyes can be helped by drinking a lot of water. Of course, that is excluding allergies, medication and health issues. And if course, I am no professional.

I always have a bottle of water next to me when I code or use the computer. Maybe you should try this if you are not. They say that it helps with concentration as well, and digestion, as you make sure you are always hydrated.

See if it helps. Also, tend to look at your keyboard as you type, just to get your eyes off that screen. These small eye breaks should help.

Didn't know those PWM shiz lol, thanks for sharing that knowledge. Will look more into it later since it made me curious.

haha, looking at the keyboard as I type with an average of 140 WPM is awkward xD will try though xD

@ZeferiniX

F.lux is useless, dosn't block all blue light rays. And Gunnar are overpriced. Get NoScope glasses, despite their name, their 20$ and I like them, use them 4 to 3 hours before going to bed and I sleep quicker and I'm less awake and get better sleep nights. I gladly support them. https://www.noscopeglasses.com/

I'd like to try those but I'm from Philippines. The Bureau of Customs here is just ugh... Takes a long time before they release it unless you pay them.. dafuq... and the shipping cost might be higher than the item xD I'll do a bit more research and see if I can get my hands on those Hydra variant, looks good to me. Thanks for sharing.