Why is there a constant flame war on this thread?

QuadNine

Oh one thing though. The thing with FX-8350 is that it is that you cannot upgrade from it because AMD pretty much abandoned the FX line.

So if you go with the Intel i5 you have an upgrade path to i7 without needing to change platform or motherboard (check compatibility first).

So that is one big advantage I know of for the i5.

At the moment I am stuck with the FX-8350 and I am moving up to an i7. But I have to buy a new motherboard, with the money spent with the motherboard I could of gotten another SSD or something.

I have to pay (Australian dollars) $400 i7 + $250 ASUS motherboard (I like premium stuff). $250 can buy me a 512GB SSD or a new power supply.

EDIT:

I COULD HAVE GOT A 4690K FOR 30 MORE DOLLARS THAN THE PRICE I PAID FOR MY 8320.

I HATE MY 8320 BECAUSE IT'S A DEAD PLATFORM 

^ Yes I feel your pain.

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

you want the flame wars to stop, you have just started another.

If you want the amd vs intel threads to stop, just dont commentate on them. (Although, im always so tempted to throw wood on the fire, because any comment you make on these type of threads usually just extends the fight)

For all intents and purposes, a heavily overclocked 8350 is going to perform at about the speed of a locked i5 2500 (max turbo). http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/697?vs=288

That isn't bad, but considering I used to game on a locked 2500 and it cost me 200 dollars and I didn't need an aftermarket cooler... while an 8350 is currently 200 dollars here in Canada... I don't understand why I would ever recommend AMD's current FX lineup over Intel right now, given the extra costs for cooling and power consumption.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

pretty much everything you've just wrote is complete BS. sorry but most people here are recommending the i5 if its in budget, or the i3 for that matter when gaming some even go so far as the pentium g3258 ( i wouldn't but ya know some argue it well).  and look at those graphs again amd barely wins any of those accurate results at the time not including new cpus because they are NEW.

Fuck off with your AMD budget nonsense.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($169.88 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Best Buy) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($154.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $424.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-29 18:05 EST-0500

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($175.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ECS H81H3-I/HDMI (V1.0) Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($25.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $201.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-29 18:06 EST-0500

fsx_1920n.png

50% MORE PERFORMANCE for HALF THE PRICE. 

Zyvt16F.png

c1ZWhQ9.jpg

RRiz3.gif

The vast majority of us AMD FX owners are not saying someone should go out right now and buy into them with new builds, that is just plain idiocy at this point. Anyone currently on the AMD platform should wait for as long as humanly possible before swapping out to Intel (different time frame for each individual person), as both Intel and AMD have the potential to announce (or release) something within the next year. Right at this very moment, and for anyone wanting or needing an immediate upgrade, intel is the only viable route. most of us are not arguing against that at advice at all. In fact most of us have given out that exact same advice once the prices between the two brands evened out a few months back.

The problem with all this AMD vs Intel stuff, is that some of you intel owners and promoters have this unwavering view that an FX chip can not play any games well (or at least it comes across as such in your postings, so correct me if I am wrong). That they they will bottleneck a half decent GPU, and will tank on the frames per second. That just isn't the case at all. I will give a little here and say that the majority of games I personally play are racing games (mainly project cars, I racing, Assetto corsa, Dirt 3, Grid, F1 2013/2014 and so on). But I have a pretty vast back catalogue of FPS games, open world, platform games, beat em ups, free to play MMO's (and have played some subscription ones also), other types of free to plays, Indies, and more. They all run within greater than acceptable limits @1080p, and I only have a lowly FX-4300 (I had a very very very tight budget of £330 back in march 2013, and needed something gaming capable for as low a price as possible). I have to live with this chip for now, I cant afford to upgrade for at least 6 more months. But everything I throw at this FX chip, from games, to 3d rendering, to 2d illustrations, video editing, and live streaming works flawlessly every single time. It has surpassed my initial expectations vastly. I certainly do not feel my tight budget has limited me at all, and this system just keeps on ticking; even with newer games.

p.s @Faceman: Why do you keep recommending those H81 motherboards to people? In my view those are just a waste of money (much the same way you view the FX chips), as a high majority of them have very limited options when it comes to Ram expansion and PCI-e slots. Sure they might be good for someone on a tight budget (something i can relate too), but they are a little "tight" for my liking. Especially when here in the uk, you can get a Z97 board for around £20 more from a reputable reseller.

As it stands for me personally, it will cost me a fair bit to upgrade. As I will not be breaking down my current system for parts, as it will be turned into a home server once I can afford a new build. So unless AMD can wow with there next CPU (whenever they get around to announcing it/releasing it), then I will also be joining the band wagon of intel.

Motherboard: ECS H81H3-I/HDMI (V1.0) Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($25.98 @ Newegg) 

Flight Simulator is obviously a very accurate way of measuring a CPUs performance..... You are telling someone to fuck off for their opinion, amazed you haven't been banned yet. Insulting and patronising people is all you seem to do on this forum. Nobody is saying AMD is better, you just seem to go around flaming anyone who DARES say something good about their FX chip.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Because we are trying to help people.  And prevent people from making a mistake when a better option for the same amount of money is available.   The FXs are not unplayable except in certain games(ARMA/DayZ/MMOs/Emulators/etc..)  Why buy a processor that can only run 4 out of 5 games when you can get one that plays 5 out of 5?

People see just the price of the processor and think it is less expensive, when they fail to add in they need an adequate motherboard, cooling, and energy cost per year.  This adds up quickly.  Also add up that quite a lot of FX users buy a low end motherboard thinking it is fine, only to experience VRM throttling, have to buy a new motherboard, all the while spending way more than a locked i5 + H81 motherboard that will perform much better than even the highest overclocked FX in every game.

They also visit bad websites like CPUBoss, Cpubenchmark.net and the like, see the FX8 scoring better and think that it pertains to gaming.  It doesn't.  I always advocate the right tool for the job, and the vast majority of the time people are asking about gaming, and Intel is the right tool for the job when it comes to playing all games.

Add in that you have an upgrade path with Intel, you also won't bottleneck high end GPUs, and the energy cost savings is relevant at $10+ per year.  If you need sources, I have them.

Finally coming to gaming benchmarks.  There is only one source on the internet that shows the FX processors outperforming i5s.  Everywhere else, everyone agrees that the i5 outperforms the FX.  Yet people cling to the one source of the FX doing better?  When we ask them to produce evidence of their claims, they can't.

The earth is round, yet people are still running around claiming it is flat.

Alright... the argument that "the energy cost savings is relevant at $10+ per year" is not a relevant argument. Please stop.

Let me pass the mic to my man JayzTwoCents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBeeGHozSY0

Edited by Adepted K

Life's greatest gift is being remembered, or prehaps, the greatest curse for some. Only you can decide this outcome and never let anyone tell you otherwise.

fsx_1920n.png

L2read. Said i would gladly recommend i3's and i5's for gaming. People are so narrow minded and can't read sometimes. BUT the FX'ing problem with people like you is that they DO NOT understand that the FX line falls as such for gaming   i7's> i5's>i3's>FX>athlon/pentium.  Being in that range very near to the i3's is okay for a ton of people, especially if they also do something like..well, i don't know stream? Edit/render/encode video? Have VM's?

and seriously you don't need a to spend 400 dollars vs 200.  

you can easily get a 8 core FX cheaper than that. 

Really that mobo is infact op'd a 70 dollar 970 one will do.

100 dollar h100i? do you not know that you don't absolutely need this? air cooler plz 15-30 bucks

nice find on the i5, 10 bucks cheaper than normal sale pricing. 

really that mobo? (you don't realize how bad that mobo really really really is.) Normally its 10 bucks more as well.

brings prices closer to

220-245 for AMD

220 normally for that intel selection, but benefit of the doubt still 220 if you pick a decent mobo that will run you 40-50 bucks minimum.

so yeah if you want to argue, do it with someone else but what you posted was incorrect trying to prove bias with only your bias opinion. 

Close enough in price then that  i can justify saying its about preference and how wide of application base you use specifically which ones and how much. 51136.png

tldr; you sir need to read more closely, not make assumptions, and clearly should recognize that arguing over a fact that WE BOTH AGREE OVER is pointless and fruitless.

However, its not as simple as "go intel for everything derp" because FX falls just under i3's in gaming typically and well above i5's in multi threaded applications.

short tldr; price for what some people need/want = good

Additionally, FX are get by processors for a lot of people and/or are for builds that will NOT get a upgraded.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

100 dollar h100i? do you not know that you don't absolutely need this? air cooler plz 15-30 bucks

You don't need to spend that much on a liquid cooler, this is all you need:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103195

And it being tested on an FX 8350 at various OC:

http://www.dvtests.com/cooler-master-seidon-120v-test-and-review/

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

You don't need to spend that much on a liquid cooler, this is all you need:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103195

And it being tested on an FX 8350 at various OC:

http://www.dvtests.com/cooler-master-seidon-120v-test-and-review/

wow those went up since last time I saw them, still a good air cooler gets about the same results if you can find a good one. If that 120 hit 30 bucks i'd buy it :)

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

wow those went up since last time I saw them, still a good air cooler gets about the same results if you can find a good one. If that 120 hit 30 bucks i'd buy it :)

When you want an LGA775 cooler that wont interfer with VRM heat sinks (need to add some), wont touch the sides of the case (1-2cm gap between the edge of the winner S915 and the top of the case), and will allow you to actively cool a northbridge, its a good choice, plus the fact that any air cooler I've seen for the same price (AUD) that is downdraft won't fit my case or be enough to disipate 125W+.

PMSL

I have had great experiences with both and currently use both daily!

I don't understand all the pointless arguments in this subforum.

Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel Core i5 3570k 4.2 GHz, EVGA GTX 780, Corsair Vengeance 16Gb ,

Samsung EVO 250&500Gb, Western Digital Black 2TB,  Corsair RM 750

Custom Water Loop

CPU Block Koolance 380iGPU Block EKWB Clean CSQPump Laing DDC w/ EKWB X-RES 100Radiatiors NexXxoS Monsta 240 & Swiftech 240x35Tubing PrimoChill Primoflex Advanced LRT Elegant White 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFittings White Monsoon Free Centre Compression Fittings 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFans6x Noctua NF-F12 w/Noctua LNA Adaptors

The fact that the AMD FX CPU's are old and slow when it comes to gaming and very inneficient are nothing new...they where slow even at launch intel had many cpu's

that where much better choices already and this is coming from an AMD fanboy...i had an FX and it's the only CPU that was not able to do what i wanted to do with it i always use my CPU's several years before i usualy need to upgrade them but this FX has been the heart of my machine for only 3 months before i had to upgrade it because it was bottlenecking my GTX780 pretty bad in many games.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

The vast majority of us AMD FX owners are not saying someone should go out right now and buy into them with new builds, that is just plain idiocy at this point. Anyone currently on the AMD platform should wait for as long as humanly possible before swapping out to Intel (different time frame for each individual person), as both Intel and AMD have the potential to announce (or release) something within the next year. Right at this very moment, and for anyone wanting or needing an immediate upgrade, intel is the only viable route. most of us are not arguing against that at advice at all. In fact most of us have given out that exact same advice once the prices between the two brands evened out a few months back.

The problem with all this AMD vs Intel stuff, is that some of you intel owners and promoters have this unwavering view that an FX chip can not play any games well (or at least it comes across as such in your postings, so correct me if I am wrong). That they they will bottleneck a half decent GPU, and will tank on the frames per second. That just isn't the case at all. I will give a little here and say that the majority of games I personally play are racing games (mainly project cars, I racing, Assetto corsa, Dirt 3, Grid, F1 2013/2014 and so on). But I have a pretty vast back catalogue of FPS games, open world, platform games, beat em ups, free to play MMO's (and have played some subscription ones also), other types of free to plays, Indies, and more. They all run within greater than acceptable limits @1080p, and I only have a lowly FX-4300 (I had a very very very tight budget of £330 back in march 2013, and needed something gaming capable for as low a price as possible). I have to live with this chip for now, I cant afford to upgrade for at least 6 more months. But everything I throw at this FX chip, from games, to 3d rendering, to 2d illustrations, video editing, and live streaming works flawlessly every single time. It has surpassed my initial expectations vastly. I certainly do not feel my tight budget has limited me at all, and this system just keeps on ticking; even with newer games.

p.s @Faceman: Why do you keep recommending those H81 motherboards to people? In my view those are just a waste of money (much the same way you view the FX chips), as a high majority of them have very limited options when it comes to Ram expansion and PCI-e slots. Sure they might be good for someone on a tight budget (something i can relate too), but they are a little "tight" for my liking. Especially when here in the uk, you can get a Z97 board for around £20 more from a reputable reseller.

As it stands for me personally, it will cost me a fair bit to upgrade. As I will not be breaking down my current system for parts, as it will be turned into a home server once I can afford a new build. So unless AMD can wow with there next CPU (whenever they get around to announcing it/releasing it), then I will also be joining the band wagon of intel.

So I shouldn't upgrade to i7 4790K now? Someone tell me soon because I am about to buy soon, quick!

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

So I shouldn't upgrade to i7 4790K now? Someone tell me soon because I am about to buy soon, quick!

No, 8350 is better for gaming anyways just overclock. 8 cores > 4 cores. It's simple physics. Don't waste your money on Intel.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

No, 8350 is better for gaming anyways just overclock. 8 cores > 4 cores. It's simple physics. Don't waste your money on Intel.

post-155575-0-46626800-1419925146.png

post-155575-0-78974600-1419925159_thumb.

Wrong!

PMSL

Wrong!

How dare you insult my intelligence with your cherry picked benchmarks! 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

How dare you insult my intelligence with your cherry picked benchmarks! 

Nope, not cherry picked, just a straight comparison that shows just how bad an FX 8350 is

PMSL

Nope, not cherry picked, just a straight comparison that shows just how bad an FX 8350 is

I tried to be like that dialup guy but I just feel like an idiot saying that stuff.

I can't do it anymore.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

But I already told you I hate this FX-8350, it runs hot, it's loud, not compatible in many games eg Skyrim and ARMA where an i5 runs 20FPS better in minimum framerate (and no, do not show me Tek Syndicate's video as they are the only one out of hundreds of benchmarks out there that shows the FX-8350 is good at one thing). Each core of the FX-8350 is weaker than the cores of an i3.

Also AMD is suppose to give me a discount code for their RAM memory sticks but they just told me to wait but it has been 3-4 months now :/

You cannot compare the GHz and Cores of one product to another, it is about being more efficient. In this case Quality > Quantity.

It is situations like this that got me the FX-8350 in the first place, I am not falling for it again.

I just want to replace my AMD CPU and GPU quickly as possible!

EDIT: I also do production work too, not just gaming.

But I already told you I hate this FX-8350, it runs hot, it's loud, not compatible in many games eg Skyrim and ARMA where an i5 runs 20FPS better in minimum framerate (and no, do not show me Tek Syndicate's video as they are the only one out of hundreds of benchmarks out there that shows the FX-8350 is good at one thing). Each core of the FX-8350 is weaker than the cores of an i3.

Also AMD is suppose to give me a discount code for their RAM memory sticks but they just told me to wait but it has been 3-4 months now :/

You cannot compare the GHz and Cores of one product to another, it is about being more efficient. In this case Quality > Quantity.

It is situations like this that got me the FX-8350 in the first place, I am not falling for it again.

I just want to replace my AMD CPU and GPU quickly as possible.

EDIT: I also do production work too, not just gaming.

Weaker than the cores of a Core 2 Duo you mean.

PMSL

Does anyone think Intel Skylake CPUs will be unlocked out of the gate? 

I actually do not have enough money to buy an i7 4790K and hoping just skip it and get a 2015 Intel CPU (or unless I borrow money now).

Historically how long will it take for a non-unlocked Intel chip to become unlocked? 6 months? 1 year?

Skylake is rumoured to be released on Q2 2015 alongside with Broadwell.

Does anyone think Intel Skylake CPUs will be unlocked out of the gate? 

I actually do not have enough money to buy an i7 4790K and hoping just skip it and get a 2015 Intel CPU (or unless I borrow money now).

Historically how long will it take for a non-unlocked Intel chip to become unlocked? 6 months? 1 year?

Skylake is rumoured to be released on Q2 2015 alongside with Broadwell.

I think the unlocked processors get released at the same time as the locked ones. If I were you I'd just wait unless you really want the upgrade now. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

You are in a catch 22 to be fair, as you skimped out on the motherboard at the initial build. So you do kind of need to physically upgrade either just the motherboard to one that can handle that FX8350. Or just jump right on over to intel. Those are your only two options in fairness, as your motherboard isn't fit for purpose with an FX8350. I learnt way back in 2001 that you should never go too cheap with regards to a motherboard. Things have changed on the intel side to a point, but it is just business as usual on the AMD side of the fence.

Edit: I dont know what you will do, but you have to decide for yourself what is better for you in the long run. But there is a new motherboard from Asrock on the market for AMD, and with an 8+2 power phase (apparently).

Fatal1ty 970 performance: http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20970%20Performance/

It is around £60 in the uk, and supposedly supports 3 way crossfire, and has an M.2 socket. It appears to have more options than the MSI 970 gaming, and at a slightly lower price point, and better power phase design. I believe it has only released this month, and I dont believe I have seen anyone post about it on here yet.

Personally I would buy a new motherboard for the FX8350 with a better power phase, since it isn't a cheap cpu in and of itself. But I can not advise you, or anyone else to do the same as I would.