Converting audio files to lossless?

Sephiroth

Hello Ladies and Gents of the LTT forums!

I apologize if this isn't the correct space to post this, however I couldn't think of anywhere better than to ask the audio buffs about conversions between different audio file types. I'm curious if it is even worth converting my older audio file formats to a lossless format? I have quite a CD library of film scores, symphonies, operas, concertos, etc... even the complete works of composers like Mozart, Chopin, and Strauss and I'm looking to begin to digitize them. As this collection spans many years, I do not know the formats used on all of the CD recordings, but I would assume the majority is some form of compressed file with audio loss, probably MP3. I enjoy listening to CDs, but as my phone can now hold dozens, if not hundreds of CDs worth of music, I feel it's high time to get all the recordings in one place. In the past few years I've began purchasing more and more of my music online, rather than on CD's, and I really like the high quality audio formats like WAV and FLAC files. So I was wondering whether it would make a difference to find a program to convert MP3 to these audio formats when digitizing my collection, or would it not make much of a difference and be better to just rip the CDs with a high bitrate? If the difference is noticeable, any recommendations on website services/programs to convert audio format files would be most appreciated! My expertise is not in audio files, so if it appears I am misunderstanding any of this, or you have helpful suggestions I am more than happy to hear! Thank-you all for your help!

-Sephiroth

MP3 is a lossy format. Converting it over to WAV or FLAC does absolutely nothing besides create an unnecessarily large audio file.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

either its lossless from the get go or its not. You can upscale it but not worth it imo. 

Hello Ladies and Gents of the LTT forums!

I apologize if this isn't the correct space to post this, however I couldn't think of anywhere better than to ask the audio buffs about conversions between different audio file types. I'm curious if it is even worth converting my older audio file formats to a lossless format? I have quite a CD library of film scores, symphonies, operas, concertos, etc... even the complete works of composers like Mozart, Chopin, and Strauss and I'm looking to begin to digitize them. As this collection spans many years, I do not know the formats used on all of the CD recordings, but I would assume the majority is some form of compressed file with audio loss, probably MP3. I enjoy listening to CDs, but as my phone can now hold dozens, if not hundreds of CDs worth of music, I feel it's high time to get all the recordings in one place. In the past few years I've began purchasing more and more of my music online, rather than on CD's, and I really like the high quality audio formats like WAV and FLAC files. So I was wondering whether it would make a difference to find a program to convert MP3 to these audio formats when digitizing my collection, or would it not make much of a difference and be better to just rip the CDs with a high bitrate? If the difference is noticeable, any recommendations on website services/programs to convert audio format files would be most appreciated! My expertise is not in audio files, so if it appears I am misunderstanding any of this, or you have helpful suggestions I am more than happy to hear! Thank-you all for your help!

-Sephiroth

Its not worth it, because the quality will either stay the same or get slightly worse(due to encoding sometimes not being lossless). You can't recover the loss from compression, so you won't be regaining what was lost. Its like stretching out a rubber band. Whether its not being stretched at all or stretched to its limit it still has the same mass, so it really isn't bigger.

From your post, it is unclear to me if the CDs are store bought or if they are burnt ones.  If they are retail CDs, then you can convert them to a lossless format no problem. I would use a program like Exact Audio Copy. However, if they were burnt from MP3s, then you are stuck with them as lossy. You cannot convert lossy to lossless because you cannot create new data. As for your digital downloads, don't transcode them. As I said before, you can't create data. Transcoding them to WAV or FLAC would increase file size but not quality. As for checking the quality of what you already have, you will need to put through a process called spectral analysis. You can read about all of this here: https://www.whatinterviewprep.com/prepare-for-the-interview/spectral-analysis/ and here https://www.whatinterviewprep.com/prepare-for-the-interview/audio-formats/

Lossless is pretty much pointless no matter what.

I won't claim I can hear the difference between lossless and, say, a 320Kbps MP3 file because I can't, but, in this age of terabytes upon terabytes of storage capacity, my philosophy on the matter is "Why not?" If I have the space for it, I can't see a legitimate reason not to rip my music in uncompressed FLAC.

EDIT: That said, converting already lossy files to "lossless" as the OP is suggesting is just pointless.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

I won't claim I can hear the difference between lossless and, say, a 320Kbps MP3 file because I can't, but, in this age of terabytes upon terabytes of storage capacity, my philosophy on the matter is "Why not?" If I have the space for it, I can't see a legitimate reason not to rip my music in uncompressed FLAC.

EDIT: That said, converting already lossy files to "lossless" as the OP is suggesting is just pointless.

I prefer mp3 because I hate installing software. Plus, even with lossless there's no absolute guarantee that you're getting a bit-perfect audio stream when playing on a computer.

All your cds are currently WAV's anyway.  If you want you can rip them directly to flac and they will remain lossless and sound exactly the same.  If you want to save some space and perhaps use them on a range of devices that have limited capacity then rip them to MP3 at 280K or above.  You will not hear the difference but save quite an amount of space.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I prefer mp3 because I hate installing software. Plus, even with lossless there's no absolute guarantee that you're getting a bit-perfect audio stream when playing on a computer.

Out of curiosity, what audio player do you use that can play MP3 files, but not FLAC or ALAC? Windows Media Player?

Out of curiosity, what audio player do you use that can play MP3 files, but not FLAC or ALAC? Windows Media Player?

Yep.

Yep.

Do you not use any software that didn't come with Windows? What does Windows Media Player have to offer other media players don't have? Other than Zune support, I can't think of any off hand.

Do you not use any software that didn't come with Windows? What does Windows Media Player have to offer other media players don't have? Other than Zune support, I can't think of any off hand.

Of course not, but Windows Media Player does what I want, therefore I use it.

Of course not, but Windows Media Player does what I want, therefore I use it.

I guess that's fair, but I think that media players are one of those things where once you try something better you will never go back. You should give FooBar2000 a shot. It's free, it's super lightweight, and has so many plugins that you pretty much build the player to fit your needs exactly. But you do you, man.

All your cds are currently WAV's anyway.  If you want you can rip them directly to flac and they will remain lossless and sound exactly the same.  If you want to save some space and perhaps use them on a range of devices that have limited capacity then rip them to MP3 at 280K or above.  You will not hear the difference but save quite an amount of space.

Isn't AAC a higher quality format at a smaller file size than MP3? For example, a 256 Kbps AAC file will sound just as good as 320 Kbps MP3, no? Why not 320 Kbps AAC? Really great balance between quality and file size. AAC is pretty ubiquitous nowadays.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Isn't AAC a higher quality format at a smaller file size than MP3? For example, a 256 Kbps AAC file will sound just as good as 320 Kbps MP3, no? Why not 320 Kbps AAC? Really great balance between quality and file size. AAC is pretty ubiquitous nowadays.

By 192k, it really doesn't matter what format you use.  AAC and Vorbis only have real benefits vs MP3 when you get in the 160 and less territory.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

@OP , if it's already encoded into a lossy format, you cannot re-add the data that has been "lost"

We'll see.

but mang....

hi @NannerBeans

dLpu4.png

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Maybe technically at certain bitrates, however in practice I have never heard a  difference and MP3 is supported on so many more devices, particularly older ones.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

We'll see.

The only bad thing is that there is no easy way to stop and play so I put in my own hotkey since they let you do that. I just binded space bar to play/pause and it's much easier to use after. 

If you have old CDs or LPs, look up EAC and make some 100% flac rips otherwise forget about it.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."