Steam game sharing code found in clients beta update.

Minjon

Source:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/19/steam-game-sharing-code-found-in-clients-beta-update/

As the furore over the game sharing policies of the new consoles continues, it’s easy as a PC user to look on bewildered. You can’t share games; they’re not even real! They’re an intangible entity pushed through magic underground tubes, like some non-corporeal spirit of entertainment haunting your hard-drive. But if some lines of code found in the latest Steam beta program are to be believed, Valve may be looking at the possibility of taming that spirit – bringing a game sharing infrastructure to the client.

The discovery was made by NeoGAF, who found reference to shared license lending in Steam’s steamui_english file. The three lines prompt Steam on the messages to display in certain situations regarding license sharing. For instance, informing a license owner when a game is in use by someone else.

Here are the references:

“SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicense_Title” “Shared game library”

“SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_OwnerText” “Just so you know, your games are currently in use by %borrower%. Playing now will send %borrower% a notice that it’s time to quit.”

“SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_BorrowerText” “This shared game is currently unavailable. Please try again later or buy this game for your own library.”

To see the code for yourself, you’ll need to opt in to the latest Steam Beta, then head to Public/steamui_english.txt in your Steam folder. Beyond looking at it and saying “oh yeah, that’s neat,” there really isn’t much to do at this point. And, of course, this could all be part of a test with no real plan for release. Hopefully we’ll hear something official soon.

Is this the answer to "xbox one" online sharing of games?

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

Oooooo Interesting, what do you have up your sleeve gabe?

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Hey, PC is progressive. We couldn't share games, and we may be on our way to doing so now. :D

Opposite of consoles which is/was "share your games anytime with anyone all the time" to "once each per game with hourly checks for piracy". 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Thought this topic is about PC Gaming and didn't find any topics about it here.... next time il look into tech news.

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

but that was the news section :P

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Thought this topic is about PC Gaming and didn't find any topics about it here.... next time il look into tech new.

its fine i think, not everyone reads the news section and it is a pc topic

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

If sharing games has taught us anything it is that it leads to a higher prices, generally for the devs whose game won't sell as much as it did before. I just hope that if Valve decides to go for this, it will not affect any prices. As a lonewolf PC gamer in my community, this really concerns me rather than makes me happy.

PC in Profile

I think I'm on to what they are doing.

It's wouldn't be sharing per se, rather "see a friend playing a game that you haven't bought, you get 2 free chances to join him without paying".

I remember someone talking about this, though i have completely forgotten who and when it was...

If this was the case, games' prices should go down if anything, since we would have the chance to try more games >> buy them later.

Feels like almost a direct response to a Microsoft guy asking "Does Steam allow game sharing? I thought not" in an Angry Joe interview. Well played, Valve. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Feels like almost a direct response to a Microsoft guy asking "Does Steam allow game sharing? I thought not" in an Angry Joe interview. Well played, Valve. 

Yep.

Game-Sharing? Like the one in PSP? Well... it would be good if they also allow you to play online (doubtful though since it will hurt their market.). If that would be possible, it would be limited like... 24hours. But like any other people monitoring Valve releases, there's always a twist. Maybe they allow players to rent the game like $1 per hour. lol.

Maybe they allow players to rent the game like $1 per hour. lol.

Great for games like BioShock but horrible for games like Skyrim. :/