Steam might be implementing shared games

dylandylandylan

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/steam-might-soon-let-you-share-your-games-with-your-friends/

If this is true, that would be amazing. It would make me buy AAA titles on my PC again. I don't even know how valve would implement this though, being a strong supporter of DRM and supporting the developers for years and years to a lot of negativity until it became the norm.

Thoughts?

#!

I don't think it will happen.

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

I would be very surprised that steam would do this. Steam hasn't let you share games since the very begging and i don't see them doing it now unless its only to get more people to switch to pc. Even if that was the case I don't know how well it would work.

I could totally see this being implemented. Of course there will be some sort of restrictions, but I doubt they will be as severe as the Xbox One. Maybe friends can only borrow one game at a time and you won't be able to play that game until he is done? Some people are saying it's going to be timed based, but I don't see that happening. If I bought the license, then I should be able to let my friend borrow that license until I want it back and he should be able to go offline and play it as well. I do see problems with certain publishers that use 3rd party DRM(Uplay, Rockstar Social Club, etc.), so only Valve games might be able to be borrowed at first and I bet a lot of Indie devs will go along with this as well.

It could be implemented to counteract the negative press of "at least the Xbox One lets you share games". I remember Major Nelson counteracting

, hopefully he'll shut up about Xbox One's family share plan.

I really do hope they implement this, it would make the PC gaming platform even stronger than it already is! 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

It really is exciting, it will make me, and a lot of people in my position who still play console AND PC switch to PC only. The only reason I buy my titles on xbox and PS3 is because I like to trade with my friends when I'm done. What do people do with games that you've completed 100% that sit in your steam library? I know people with ove r 200 games in their steam library and it's just like UGH MAN let me play on my system! :P

#!

If they did this it would be amazing. i have games on my account that i don't like but i know friends would.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

"at least the Xbox One lets you share games".

This was a misunderstanding, the Xbox One won't have any game sharing functionality. It will however let you give your games to people on your friends list.

I really hope they will implement this, it would make the PC much more attractive to more people.

But they still want people to buy games, so I think it will be something like this:

You can only lend a game for a limited ammount of time(max X hours NOT including download time) so that they can try the game and determine wether they want to buy it or not.

After that time is over the game automatically locks up and brings you to the steam store page of that particular game

You can only lend a game once at a time and once you have lended game X to account Y once you can not lend game X to account Y anymore, but can still lend all your other games to that account and the same game to other accounts.

I am not sure if you'll be able to play the game yourself while your friend is playing it, but I hope so.

What do you think of this concept?

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

I don't think their doing this out of the goodness of their heart, but they are currently involved in a law suit in Germany that puts their entire existence in Europe in doubt. I think their trying to attribute ownership of the games to their customers, "of course you own the game, you can even give it to a friend!". 

I don't think their doing this out of the goodness of their heart, but they are currently involved in a law suit in Germany that puts their entire existence in Europe in doubt. I think their trying to attribute ownership of the games to their customers, "of course you own the game, you can even give it to a friend!". 

That would be nice. Only time will tell.

The sharing appears to be for sharing your library, not individual games. So if you have GTA 4 and Skyrim on one account and share it with your friend, he will be kicked off from GTA 4 if you launch Skyrim. This is logical based on the line of code mentioning "[,,,] access to your games" in plural.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

This is logical based on the line of code mentioning "[,,,] access to your games" in plural.

Not unless you can share/lend multiple games to one person.

I kind of like this idea, but I also don't. If they did do this, you would see more people trading games for hats in Team Hatress 2, (lol) and you could probably buy used games from the marketplace or something. But, if they did implement this, they wouldn't have many sales, they probably wouldn't have all of the summer sales, because all of the money lost from the sale of used games would hurt all of the game developers, so they have to sell their games at full retail price to gain the same amount of revenue as before, where they had all of the summer sales and random sales of the week.

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

Not unless you can share/lend multiple games to one person.

Time will tell, but I'm 89.56% sure that it'll be library sharing and not individual games. And I'm like the closest you get to a professional game rumour analyst and between-the-lines dissemination expert  :P

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Time will tell, but I'm 89.56% sure that it'll be library sharing and not individual games. And I'm like the closest you get to a professional game rumour analyst and between-the-lines dissemination expert  :P

Library sharing would just be a silly idea.

I kind of like this idea, but I also don't. If they did do this, you would see more people trading games for hats in Team Hatress 2, (lol) and you could probably buy used games from the marketplace or something. But, if they did implement this, they wouldn't have many sales, they probably wouldn't have all of the summer sales, because all of the money lost from the sale of used games would hurt all of the game developers, so they have to sell their games at full retail price to gain the same amount of revenue as before, where they had all of the summer sales and random sales of the week.

Nobody said anything about trading or being able to sell your games. This is about possible limited sharing of a game or games between two users. That's it.

im a bit confused

i share my 3 steam accounts with friends and family since 2009

some with10+ games in them

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

This would be cool!

they have no real reason to do this. People on Steam have never been able to lend games, so they don't really get annoyed about it. Consololers however, they were able to lend games and this is being taken away from them even though it's so easy to do on console. it's simply very difficult to implement a way that's fair to the dev, player, and valve themselves, seeing as some games are region locked etc.

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

im a bit confused

i share my 3 steam accounts with friends and family since 2009

some with10+ games in them

Technically, you're not allowed to do that.

Library sharing would just be a silly idea.

Nobody said anything about trading or being able to sell your games. This is about possible limited sharing of a game or games between two users. That's it.

Ah, didn't get that.

I think it would be cool if when you got kicked out of your game because the original game owner started playing it, you could get a deal to buy the game for %25 off or something, promoting the sale of the game.

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

Ah, didn't get that.

I think it would be cool if when you got kicked out of your game because the original game owner started playing it, you could get a deal to buy the game for %25 off or something, promoting the sale of the game.

Neat idea. But I don't see Valve doing that. Maybe 10%

Neat idea. But I don't see Valve doing that. Maybe 10%

Any sort of thing to promote the sale would be sweet :D

Technically, you're not allowed to do that.

yeah but nothing really happens

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

yeah but nothing really happens

Nothing has happened because not many will care to take the time to report you.