Nvidia Licenses out Kepler architecture and future GPU architecture

GoodBytes

Nvidia will start allowing to get a license for the Kepler and future GPU architecture from them, allowing other companies to make Nvidia GPUs or improve on, or use it in a specialty.

In other words, much like ARM does for it's ARM architecture processor.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7083/nvidia-to-license-kepler-and-future-gpu-ip-to-3rd-parties

Do you think it's a smart move for Nvidia to do this, to get more revenue?

Very interesting

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Lets hope apple wont buy a licence for this and start suing other companies who make similar changes

They can't , licencse don't not equal ownership

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

I can see partner companies getting this licence and selling some really powerful version of the chips that are already out. This could be interesting.

I really didn't think Nvidia would be licencing out their products though. Didn't think that was how they wanted to have their business. But this is a nice change.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

They can't , licencse don't not equal ownership

Correct. It just means you can use it. Much like an OS license. It means you can use it, but you don't really own it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

i guess they have there reasons but its very interesting i wonder what will come out of this

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

Lets hope apple wont buy a licence for this and start suing other companies who make similar changes

I'm surprised that they haven't done that with ARM yet...

they're panicking due to AMD''s juggernaut stance.

Not at all. Nvidia makes (and always had), from selling Quadro and Tesla GPUs. While GeForce brings revenues.. it's not a selling factor. Nvidia always works on the big full chip, Tesla, then the cut down version is made as a Quadro, and then a further cut down version: GeForce, pretty much.

If you check Nvidia numbers, you'll see this. Nvidia makes a lot more money selling several thousand dollars graphic card each, in large quantity each year or so, for companies and universities, then selling with low margin, GeForce card.. 1 on average, per customer... yes you have a lot of them, but margin are small.

exactly as GoodBytes said. I think it's a good thing to share the tech, let people upgrade your design. They'll still make more money from that, and how knows it could bring us some cool new products.

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

This could be a good thing, have other manufacturers make better versions of the card to sell at different price points. But, what if one manufacturer makes one huge leap in GPU technology and leaves everyone else in the dust and we see good companies die? I don't know how this would work out if they did do this.

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

I lol'd so hard I smacked my tooth into my knee ._.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

There is something that everyone seems to be missing here,GPU architectures change approximately every 32 months, this means that if any company buys a license for a GPU architecture it will only be able to profit from it for 2 to 3 years maximum, and will have to buy the new license from Nvidia.

According to Nvidia, their most profitable business is the mobile & desktop GPU segment, where most of their revenue comes from, if they allow more competition to enter that segment it will mean less money for them, which is why I think they would have a trick to prevent that.

Actually, a bit more than that... because they'll be able to get it before Nvidia releases the GPU.

Nvidia doesn't release a GPU the minute it is done. Similar to games, they have a spot to wear they think people will buy their GPU, and sometimes puts on the shelf for a bit, while waiting for AMD coming up GPU, to see if it needs tweaking/OC'ing to be at comparable or be faster than AMD offering.

im thinking ... Onboard GPU on motherboards ... could be nice for HTPC's and small form factor pc's