steam games/gift are now region lock due to Russian ruble crumble

ahhming

-snip-

That's preventing people to hop on a VPN, buy the game on the cheap and hop back to their own network and play.

// TODO: Update signature to include PC buid.

Recently Rubles have hit an all-time low which has been a concern of many game developers

Gee, I wonder why. Clearly it has nothing to do with Putin ego tripping desperately wanting Russia to be relevant as a dominate force again or anything. Nah, that can't be why the global opinion of Russia is falling fast. Certainly this distrust of Russia has no relation to their currency tanking.

This isn't a console, this is PC gaming. If Valve wants to do this, fine. Don't expect to pry my wallet open anymore as a result. Any gamer who utilizes steam should stop looking at GabeN with rose colored glasses and do the same. Region locks are bad, don't give any more money until Valve gets their shit together. (aware this already existed, but it seems it will be getting worse) If it comes down to no longer selling in Russia, fine. The whole punish everyone for someone else's follies is a very bullshit stance to take.

The sanctions are hitting Russia really hard.

They may have gotten Crimea, but they've lost the ability to exploit differences in Steam regional pricing.

Clearly it has nothing to do with Putin ego tripping desperately wanting Russia to be relevant as a dominate force again or anything.

There are plenty of reasons for Russia to not let go of Ukraine that don't have to do with Putin's ego.

Russia is losing influence to China in the East and if Ukraine joined EU and NATO, all prospects of Russia being a regional power in their West, let alone a global one would be in serious trouble.

Well this is great....

Now I need to find out what the pricing is like in Korea or that will be the end of me gifting to friends when I move.

GG Valve.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I'm still to wrap my head around this. But this is what I could gather.

A person is Russia buys a Steam Gift for lets say $15. That same game costs $30 in the US.  So now they are basically blocked from gifting that key to anyone outside of Russia. Erm ok. But is the Gifting of Russian Steam Games really that big of an issue that a full block is even required, it has the backlash of punishing legitimate players who are gifting a game to a friend elsewhere (For free).

Personally if a developer want to region lock their Game Keys they can (and already do), but putting a limit on gifting is not acceptable, if a person buys a game they have the right to gift it to someone or sell it for a profit. This type of move is not meant to benefit the customers in the slightest.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

wait what happens if you move from US based pricing to SEA

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

This is somewhat bad news, don't know why games should have different pricing in different countries.
The font you in which you try to convey this news in though, is way worse. Please stop  :(

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

wait what happens if you move from US based pricing to SEA

As far as I know US uses the Rest of World (ROW) pricing so you can pretty much bring your games anywhere. Not the same case if you're from a specialized region (like SEA or Russia) going to a ROW region (like NA or EU)

This is somewhat bad news, don't know why games should have different pricing in different countries.

The font you in which you try to convey this news in though, is way worse. Please stop  :(

Well you have to understand that wages differ wherever you are in the world. In the case of some regions low prices actually combat piracy.

What we need is choice, not restriction. If I want to gift someone that's in a different region then let me pay for their price even if it's more expensive.

As far as I know US uses the Rest of World (ROW) pricing so you can pretty much bring your games with you. Not the same case if you're from a specialized region (like SEA or Russia) going to a ROW region (like NA or EU)

I don't quite get that policy.Sounds dumb to me, now when i go back to SEA i can never move or else whole library bought there will be gone :(

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

I don't quite get that policy.Sounds dumb to me, now when i go back to SEA i can never move or else whole library bought there will be gone :(

Well you can move. But as long as you don't migrate your account from US to SEA (which is a tedious process BTW) then games you buy while in SEA using your US account with US payment info will still be considered ROW.

It only becomes a problem when you're planning to move permanently from a specialized-region to a ROW region.

Believe me this is a very uncommon but real problem. I've searched months and months for answers and even contacted Steam only to get disappointing results.

Well you can move. But as long as you don't migrate your account from US to SEA (which is a tedious process BTW) then games you buy while in SEA using your US account with US payment info will still be considered ROW.

It only becomes a problem when you're planning to move permanently from a specialized-region to a ROW region.

Believe me this is a very uncommon but real problem. I've searched months and months for answers and even contacted Steam only to get disappointing results.

i probably have to do that. moving from ROW to MYR and god help me if i ever want to move out of SEA

Oh no... I hope g2a is ok

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

If anything this will just hurt their sales imo.  :huh:

i live in India where 1 Euro is 85 rupees, this is really bad for me 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

How exactly would someone in the USA or even in Canada be able to buy a Russian game anyway? Through steam and still get it in English. Region locks have always edited and g2a pretty much is based off this whole process.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Does this mean that you can't buy anything from other sellers outside NA if you're in NA?

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

My mistake

I still think its a good idea, it should also extend to keys tbh

CS:GO trades live off of keys.

Anything above market max value (400$) would immediatly drop price.

I can't remember the last time I got a game off Steam from the ingame store, its always way cheaper to get it off traders, I hope this doesn't ruin it. They already started to destroy it with the whole not being able to trade gifts for 30 days thing which doesn't help anyone.

CS:GO trades live off of keys.

Anything above market max value (400$) would immediatly drop price.

CS:GO trades are pretty stupid anyway but that's just my opinion 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Well assuming it only refers to gifts and trades then I'm cool with this, at least somewhat. 

I never did buy the gifts from key sites as I simply don't trust them, I only buy the occasional CD Key if it's cheap enough to bother.

The only way I think this could affect me, is I sometimes get my 'Merican friend to buy me a game and then gift it. An example would be AC: Black Flag... it was £20 in a summer sale, while it was $20 in the US! So instead of paying the £20 which is $31, I paid $20 instead which is £12.79, saving me just over £7! I normally don't mind paying 1 or 2 quid more as I get it's different with VAT and the such, but literally charging £20 here and $20 there is bull with no excuse lol x'D

Can anyone confirm this?

I was buying gifts pretty regular from sites like G2A, because I am poor. Please have mercy, GabeN

=/

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

CS:GO trades are pretty stupid anyway but that's just my opinion 

Stupid or not, percentages for Steam are made. Wallets are emptied, others are filled. It provides us of things like CS:GO esports, which is a great step to acknowleding gaming of it's potential.

Stupid or not, percentages for Steam are made. Wallets are emptied, others are filled. It provides us of things like CS:GO esports, which is a great step to acknowleding gaming of it's potential.

100% true I agree with you there

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii