Dropbox alternative

sebastien calvignac

Hi, as mentioned in the title i am looking for a dropbox alternative. I currently use dropbox and i am very happy with it but i am very interested if i could have my own "dropbox" that way i:

- wouldn't be limited to my current 8.5GB storage

- there would no privacy concerns

- i would be resposible for reliability.

along with other things but these are the major ones.

I still would like the experience to be as close to dropbox as possible but let me know if you know of any way i could achieve this.

https://www.bitcasa.com/ (i used them a while ago when they had "unlimited storage" for around a year, so I'm not too sure whether it's good anymore)? or make your own "cloud"

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

- i would be resposible for reliability.

The only way this is possible is to build or buy a personal NAS and make your own cloud.

Other than that, google drive works great for me.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

i second owncloud. i run it on my server and its great

Yeah, it's pretty good. I tried running it on my RPi but it's very heavy for it, it should work just fine with even a low end regular computer though.

i'm a potato

You could build your own nas server.

First read I though, "NSA" ? What?

Anyway, the best and oldest has been good old ssh or scp, has existed way before Dropbox and will long after, best thing is it has always encrypted on the wire ;)

I guess modern versions are rsync and ssh is now called open-ssh.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Yeah, it's pretty good. I tried running it on my RPi but it's very heavy for it, it should work just fine with even a low end regular computer though.

I run it on a raspi and it works fine, only the web interface is a little slow. It was a little bit tricky setting it up too. But otherwise I love it.

It even has an Android app, you can auto sync pictures and videos and all that great stuff. I have a 500gb external drive on my pi so yeah tons of syncing power.

You will be limited by the Internet connection you plug the Raspberry pi into though. So the upload speed there wont be very great, which means that the download speed from your cloud wont be too high. I am writing this for OP btw :)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Anyway, the best and oldest has been good old ssh or scp, has existed way before Dropbox and will long after, best thing is it has always encrypted on the wire ;)

Well. The NSA will get hold of your files that are stored on the server no matter what, so i guess it is a NSA server.

https://www.bitcasa.com/ (i used them a while ago when they had "unlimited storage" for around a year, so I'm not too sure whether it's good anymore)? or make your own "cloud"

You could build your own nas server.

The only way this is possible is to build or buy a personal NAS and make your own cloud.

Other than that, google drive works great for me.

i second owncloud. i run it on my server and its great

I run it on a raspi and it works fine, only the web interface is a little slow. It was a little bit tricky setting it up too. But otherwise I love it.

It even has an Android app, you can auto sync pictures and videos and all that great stuff. I have a 500gb external drive on my pi so yeah tons of syncing power.

You will be limited by the Internet connection you plug the Raspberry pi into though. So the upload speed there wont be very great, which means that the download speed from your cloud wont be too high. I am writing this for OP btw :)

Well. The NSA will get hold of your files that are stored on the server no matter what, so i guess it is a NSA server.

Thank you all very much for your help. I will try owncloud and hopefully it wont be too dificult to setup. One last question for you owncloud users, assuming i have the owncloud server client running in the same network as the other devices will i be able to take advantage of speeds above the ones my ISP provides me ?

Thank you all again !

Thank you all very much for your help. I will try owncloud and hopefully it wont be too dificult to setup. One last question for you owncloud users, assuming i have the owncloud server client running in the same network as the other devices will i be able to take advantage of speeds above the ones my ISP provides me ?

Thank you all again !

if they are on lan...it should go to the rate of the network you are on. to be sure, for any client that wont ever leave the network (ie desktop) i would just use the internal ip address of the server for configuration. for things like phones, i would use whatever dns record you decide to set up, if you decide to set one up (i recommend you do)

Thank you all again !

You will be limited to the speeds that your ISP provides you, you can't really o above that, unless you upgrade your plan. 

i'm a potato

if they are on lan...it should go to the rate of the network you are on. to be sure, for any client that wont ever leave the network (ie desktop) i would just use the internal ip address of the server for configuration. for things like phones, i would use whatever dns record you decide to set up, if you decide to set one up (i recommend you do)

Ill keep that in mind. Thank you very much !

You will be limited to the speeds that your ISP provides you, you can't really o above that, unless you upgrade your plan. 

Hopefully my current 8MB connection will do the job if not i will see what i can do to upgrade that, but thanks for the info.

Hopefully my current 8MB connection will do the job if not i will see what i can do to upgrade that, but thanks for the info.

8MB up? 8 Megabytes (MB) or megabits (Mb)?

i'm a potato

8MB up? 8 Megabytes (MB) or megabits (Mb)?

nah i havent had 8MBps upload dont worry haha. its simply a 8MBps contract so yeah just a fraction of it. Speedtest.net tells me around 9Mbps download and 2Mbps upload. (so thats 0.25MBps upload :/ )

nah i havent had 8MBps upload dont worry haha. its simply a 8MBps contract so yeah just a fraction of it. Speedtest.net tells me around 9Mbps download and 2Mbps upload. (so thats 0.25MBps upload :/ )

Well, then if you're outside your local network you'll be limited to that speed. If you're inside the local network then you won't be limited by your ISP, instead you'll be limited by the slowest interface between the client and the server, what that means is that if every single interface between your computer (client) and your ownCloud server is Gigabit then you can *in theory* achieve that speed (I say in theory because your HDD or SSD will probably bottleneck that), but if something in between (the client, the router/switch or the server) has a 100 megabit interface or even a 10 megabit interface (unlikely) you'll be limited to that speed.

Hope you could understand.

i'm a potato

Well, then if you're outside your local network you'll be limited to that speed. If you're inside the local network then you won't be limited by your ISP, instead you'll be limited by the slowest interface between the client and the server, what that means is that if every single interface between your computer (client) and your ownCloud server is Gigabit then you can *in theory* achieve that speed (I say in theory because your HDD or SSD will probably bottleneck that), but if something in between (the client, the router/switch or the server) has a 100 megabit interface or even a 10 megabit interface (unlikely) you'll be limited to that speed.

Hope you could understand.

Thanks for the information but ultimately ill have to simply test it and see how it compares to my current drobox.

Thanks for the information but ultimately ill have to simply test it and see how it compares to my current drobox.

Yeah, doing a test beats out everything.

i'm a potato

An important thing to remember about dropbox or services like dropbox is that if anything should happen to your local files, or your home server crashes or whatever... you'd still be able to recover your files from dropbox cloud/servers.  If you lost all of your personal devices, or they crash, or all burn up in a fire, etc (worst case scenarios)... you can still later recover those files.

Using your own "clould", if it should ever fail/die or just temporarily cuts out because of hardware/software failures for any reason, the data in your "cloud" is then not accessible.  If your other "local" devices then needed to recover by pulling from the cloud, they'd be unable to.   Basically it means you would need to be extra stringent with backing up your "cloud" repository (and storing the backups offsite).