Imagination launches the CI20, RPi on steroids.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8775/imagination-launches-creator-ci20-development-board

MIPS-Creator-C120_RGB_Press_575px.jpg

At a high level, the easiest way to describe the CI20 is Raspberry Pi on steroids. Or perhaps this is what the Raspberry Pi could have been if redesigned two years later with about 60% more cost and a larger PCB size budget. This was clearly a target of Imagination as the CI20 contains the exact same expansion connector as the Raspberry Pi.

This is a 60$ board, sporting a much more powerful chipset, onboard storage, and very similar IO to the RPi. Also to note, its powered by a 5V jack, not USB.

post-51946-0-35541000-1418125152_thumb.j

Its also sporting a CPU based on the MIPS32 ISA, which basically means a freaking mess of a code. but the gpu is PowerVR SGX540, so we get 1080p 60Hz encode/decode :)

For the software side of things, Imagination provides images for the CI20 of both Android Kitkat 4.4.4, Debian 7, Gentoo Linux, Yacto Sato, and Angstrom. Arch and OpenWRT are works in progress. For home media center users, there has also been some investigation running XBMC with Debian on the CI20.

I must say, this is a very interesting little board, might get it just for the fact its a powerful MIPS, so i could try it out :)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

post-14986-0-38775300-1418125789.jpg

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Damn son! Whats holding people back from using a 805 chip on these?

money. heat.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

*saved gif*

What would the uses be for it ?

HTPC, development board, a "brain hub" for a machine, home automation, stuff like that ;)

Can't see this taking over the RPi, RPi is cheaper and has different models also the RPi is huge and they are a lot of project to start with for a noob.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Can't see this taking over the RPi, RPi is cheaper and has different models also the RPi is huge and they are a lot of project to start with for a noob.

Never did i say this would take its place, its just an alternative if you need something stronger ;) if this werent mips, id be all over it, this way, i just want it for playing around wiht

Never did i say this would take its place, its just an alternative if you need something stronger ;) if this werent mips, id be all over it, this way, i just want it for playing around wiht

Pfft.. I would just OC the RPi and save the money or buy the newer model, also can't see how much would this help unless your cracking, there is a Microsoft one that is similar don't know the name it's great for beginners.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Pfft.. I would just OC the RPi and save the money or buy the newer model, also can't see how much would this help unless your cracking.

they are comparing the newest model ;) and OCing wont get you the ability to encode 60frames 1080p :P

they are comparing the newest model ;) and OCing wont get you the ability to encode 60frames 1080p :P

What you can playback 1080p 60fps movies on the RPi, also get more of them and cluster them bro.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Here is how to cluster RPi:

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

What you can playback 1080p 60fps movies on the RPi, also get more of them and cluster them bro.

you cant encode 60fps on it ;) dw i have lots of pi experience, and i love it, but something slightly more powerful, at a similar price is nevertheless, awesome

you cant encode 60fps on it ;) dw i have lots of pi experience, and i love it, but something slightly more powerful, at a similar price is nevertheless, awesome

24fps is more cinematic why you will ever need 60fps ?? also how many RPi do you have ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

24fps is more cinematic why you will ever need 60fps ??

i could make a capture card out of it ;)

i could make a capture card out of it ;)

Which port would you use cant find one on it that will do the job ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

What would be ideal is if it shared the same form factor as the raspberry pi, then all the accessorize and stuff that go along with that device would be compatible and it would be more powerful at the same 

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Which port would you use cant find one on it that will do the job ?

USB ;)

USB ;)

Really how ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Really how ?

clever packing of the data :) ive read its possible

I don't really understand the circuit-board design, although that being said I have 0 exp with that sooo...

But the Pi being a single core and having as low RAM as it does has always bothered me somehow.

two RPi would cost about as much as one of these if not more so what's the point? You'd also save the hassle of clustering. Unless that's what you want to do in that case, or any other, do whatever you please. But don't take away the choice from other people to buy this if they what to just because you deem it unworthy. It's rude and immature.  

two RPi would cost about as much as one of these if not more so what's the point? You'd also save the hassle of clustering. Unless that's what you want to do in that case, or any other, do whatever you please. But don't take away the choice from other people to buy this if they what to just because you deem it unworthy. It's rude and immature.  

aye he was saying that in a joking tone, no need to attack the man ;) it makes you rude and immature :P

I don't really understand the circuit-board design, although that being said I have 0 exp with that sooo...

But the Pi being a single core and having as low RAM as it does has always bothered me somehow.

Come on bro I never said it's unworthy it's just that I don't see it talking over the RPi and I was joking, your being rude and immature. 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

clever packing of the data :) ive read its possible

Would like to give me a link or something please.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ