Why does everyone dislike Windows 8?

So since it was released i've heard nothing but hate and frustration over windows 8.

Seriously I have zero problems with it, it performs well, and it's smooth to use. I don't necessarily use the Metro UI but you don't even have to?!

CURRENT: intel i9-10900K ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero ROG Strix RTX 3090 32GB 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RM1000i Lian Li O11-Dynamic

OFFICE: intel i5-3570K ASUS Z77 mITX EVGA GTX 970 SC 16GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP Silverstone SFX PSU Fractal Design Node 202

8.1 is great
If I wasnt so lazy I would have switched to it already.

IMO the UI looks very nice and modern.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I've had some issues with it for a few older games and even recent games. Only a few but a few is still annoying. Been thinking about going back to W7 because... it's... fantastic. But other than that, I have no issues with it whatsoever.

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

8.1 is great

If I wasnt so lazy I would have switched to it already.

Lol it took me like 4 months to switch xD

but nah I like 8 once I got used to not having a normal start button.

Please use http://pcpartpicker.com/ for everybodones sake!

and quote me if you want me to see a reply please :)

pewpewpewphysicslazers!!!

Its awesome.

people are drunk and sutbborn and actually have never really used windows 8 and all they say is "OMG IT LOOKS LIKE CRAP. WHATS WITH ALL THE TILE GRID ICONS?!?"

the look of the task manager alone should be worth upgrading to IMO

DBCTaskman-Performances-tab.png

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

I've had some issues with it for a few older games and even recent games. Only a few but a few is still annoying. Been thinking about going back to W7 because... it's... fantastic. But other than that, I have no issues with it whatsoever.

Yeah, I can't play Flight Simulator X on Windows 8 and that's the only problem I have with it... actually considering getting a copy of Windows 7 for that haha!

CURRENT: intel i9-10900K ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero ROG Strix RTX 3090 32GB 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RM1000i Lian Li O11-Dynamic

OFFICE: intel i5-3570K ASUS Z77 mITX EVGA GTX 970 SC 16GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP Silverstone SFX PSU Fractal Design Node 202

Lol it took me like 4 months to switch xD

but nah I like 8 once I got used to not having a normal start button.

I actually almost never use the start button here on windows 7...

All the programs I need access to I have a shortcut on my desktop, and I just access all my files through windows explorer.

Who needs a start button? :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yeah, I can't play Flight Simulator X on Windows 8 and that's the only problem I have with it... actually considering getting a copy of Windows 7 for that haha!

Then something is wrong with your PC.  Flight Sim X works fine on my Windows 8 machine. 

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

I played FSX on windows 8

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: ASUS Strix Radeon R7 5700 XT OC Edition Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 CL14 SSD: 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860 Cooling: NZXT Kraken X72 Case: Corsair Crystal Series 570X Mirror Black Display: BenQ XL2420Z  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Audio: Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum

anything that was wrong with it was fixed with 8.1 and classic start. 

also, i gained 5 frames a second for 7 to 8. and 2 frames a second from 8. to 8.1 

so yee.. (in TF2, which, terrifyingly enough, i currently average around 40 fps)

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Ill tell you why people don't like it, its because it is different.  Just think there hasn't been a major overhaul of the Windows "Desktop" for almost 15 years (Windows 95 to Windows 7).  So you have 15 years of people use to something and now we have a revolutionary change and a bunch of people (most of which are use to being on the top of the technology food chain) are having a hard time learning something new.

Every single task in Windows 7 can be performed either as easily, or easier, in Windows 8.  People just want to do it the same way they always did.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

I played FSX on windows 8

Hmm i'm on 8.1 now and i don't think it'll run... Microsoft website says it's not compatible :/

I use Win8.1 and I am happy that I use it. It is far better for me than Win7, but thats just my opinion :)

So since it was released i've heard nothing but hate and frustration over windows 8.

Seriously I have zero problems with it, it performs well, and it's smooth to use. I don't necessarily use the Metro UI but you don't even have to?!

Let's just call some of them bandwagon haters. :P

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

I've had a lot of problems with windows 8 (actual windows 8, but still several in 8.1). Windows update screwing up and corrupting things forcing me to reinstall, stuck in and endless loop of restarting on a factory installed image on a laptop (how did they manage that?) forcing me to reinstall, more windows update failures that I don't actually have to reinstall the os because of this time, not always booting up properly, not sleeping properly. I don't know if I got all the weird problems or what, but my experience was hell.

That and i hate that they can't have everything related in one place. You want to change the desktop and window colors? normal, change the lock screen? suddenly taken to completely different app in metro. Note, that the problem isn't that it's in metro, but that they couldnt just have it as another option in another tab or something. Though i'm probably just nitpicking here.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

I've had a lot of problems with windows 8 (actual windows 8, but still several in 8.1). Windows update screwing up and corrupting things forcing me to reinstall, stuck in and endless loop of restarting on a factory installed image on a laptop (how did they manage that?) forcing me to reinstall, more windows update failures that I don't actually have to reinstall the os because of this time, not always booting up properly, not sleeping properly. I don't know if I got all the weird problems or what, but my experience was hell.

That and i hate that they can't have everything related in one place. You want to change the desktop and window colors? normal, change the lock screen? suddenly taken to completely different app in metro. Note, that the problem isn't that it's in metro, but that they couldnt just have it as another option in another tab or something. Though i'm probably just nitpicking here.

nah you're right, however those are just some of the minor issues that have a big effect.

i personally just set everything to either black or pink, and once its set i never touch it. xD so i dont deal with thesse problems that much.

one thing i dont like, is how windows 10 is a completely seperate OS.

i get it, if it runs so frikken differently that it needed to be from the group up, or a simple update couldnt bring you there.

bit if its basically just badass 8.1 with a 7 start menu. WHY THE HELL IS IT STILL IN DEVELOPE EMNT

it should be full release by now. not in that beta sort of stage....

ALSO 10 BETTER STAY FREE

OSX AND LINUX ARE, , microsoft if you wanna keep making money off windows just make workstation versions and consumer versions... jeez....

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

I actually almost never use the start button here on windows 7...

All the programs I need access to I have a shortcut on my desktop, and I just access all my files through windows explorer.

Who needs a start button? :P

lol yeah it took me a week or two to adjust but honestly i never leave the desktop unless i need to search something which works well anyway. windows button and start typing your search its actually faster than a start button xD

Please use http://pcpartpicker.com/ for everybodones sake!

and quote me if you want me to see a reply please :)

pewpewpewphysicslazers!!!

On desktop, Metro/Modern UI, lack of start button and charms but mostly the Metro UI. There is absoluely no use of the touch features when you have a mouse and keyboard which you could do things faster. Everything else like the more detailed task manager, file transfer windows and general performance gain are excellent, but the way Microsoft marketed it as a "mobile" platform and thinking everybody would get a touchscreen was just stupid. Put startisback, classic shell/start etc, remove Metro to have desktop only and it's pretty much good.

On mobile (laptop, surface) where you would probably have a touch interface, it is sometimes handy to just tap when the touchpad is too slow. Hopefully Windows 10 will be good with different modes for people to select to their preferences instead of shoving features down your throats.