What's the best GTX 970?

orangecat

So I'm going to be close to affording a 970 soon and I want to start looking around and since i upgrade my GPU every few years I want to make sure i get the best GPU I can get. I may not overclock my GPU right away but eventually I will want to overclock and I want to be able to push the card to the limits.

I'm thinking 970 STRIX Link but I'm not sure yet.

mhh imo the G1 but in reality there isn't that much of a difference find one that goes well with your build :) 

Please use http://pcpartpicker.com/ for everybodones sake!

and quote me if you want me to see a reply please :)

pewpewpewphysicslazers!!!

To most its just a matter of opinion, some will say Gigabyte, some will say ASUS, some will say EVGA, etc...

I personally prefer the EVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

gigabyte g2 gaming or exga sc acx 2.0

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

To most its just a matter of opinion, some will say Gigabyte, some will say ASUS, some will say EVGA, etc...

I personally prefer the EVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0.

Between the ACX 2.0 and the STRIX I can't seem to decide.

the gaming g1, or the EVGA IMO. ;)

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

I have used MSI's 980, Asus's 970, and the G1.

I went with gigabytes after OCing them all.

#1 they Idle almost silently, not quite on the level as the Asus cards, but pretty close.

#2 they overclock like beasts, I got a 1500Core/7200Memory on all 3 cards I have used (1 friends unit, and the 2 I have in SLI) 

#3 they have by FAR the best cooling, expect <65c under load. 

Between the ACX 2.0 and the STRIX I can't seem to decide.

I like the look of the ACX 2.0 more than the STRIX as it just looks much cleaner and fits my color scheme better. (black & blue)

Other than the look there isn't really much different between the two..

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

#1 they Idle almost silently, not quite on the level as the Asus cards, but pretty close.

#2 they overclock like beasts, I got a 1500Core/7200Memory on all 3 cards I have used (1 friends unit, and the 2 I have in SLI) 

With a firmware update the EVGA 970 ACX 2.0 turns the fans off when below 60c or so.

With a firmware update the EVGA 970 ACX 2.0 turns the fans off when below 60c or so.

I didn't have a chance to use a EVGA so sadly I cant comment. From what I hear it is also awesome!

I would have to say the Gigabyte GTX970 G1. Its got a serious factory OC, runs really cool and is very quiet. I just got the 980 counterpart and I love it!

So basically anyone from the big 3 are good?

So basically anyone from the big 3 are good?

Yup, after all, they're 970's.

The MSI 970 is like the middle spot: The Strix is optimized for efficiency, and the power delivery is very low, but it's silent (it's worthy if you're a silence freak, I don't think it's very important since I have other fans running in my PC). The G1 Gaming is a performance beast, the cooler is overkill, and it can suck a lot more power than the Strix and MSI. It also has VRM's cooling, binned chips and a higher factory OC.

I have a G1 Gaming and my case fans are louder than it at idle.

I would pick the G1 Gaming if it isn't very expensive, if it costs the same as the Strix or MSI go for it, you won't regret it. But if it's very expensive grab an ACX 2.0, Strix or MSI 970, you'll be happy with it anyways.

Gigabyte bins their gpu's so they're -really- good, but EVGA is just.. EVGA, they're great, fast, and you can't go wrong between those two.  If I were going with a 970 / 980 - I'd definitely go for the EVGA or Gigabyte cards. Even I couldn't decide between them  :P  Though the EVGA cards are always sexier, slimmer, and OC -great-.