Haswell-E: DDR4, Octacores and more!

Thibaudv

http://vr-zone.com/articles/intel-core-i7-ivy-bridge-e-core-i3-haswell-lineup-detailed/37832.html/1

Vr-zone gave a preview of what haswell-E is going to be:

-22nm

-only 6 and 8 cores

-DDR4

-33to50% performance increase over Ivy-E

I personally might get a 5930k!

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

i might get one as well! HASWELL!

Here is where I would keep my frolics if I had any.

i would be suprised if there was %20 performance increase compared to 6c ivy bridge %50 is WAAAY too optimistic

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

i would be suprised if there was %20 performance increase compared to 6c ivy bridge %50 is WAAAY too optimistic

Agreed, but 8 physical cores is still pretty darn awesome.

I'll be curious to see how it plays out. 

And more importantly, what sort of real world benefit is made from DDR4

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

well going from ivybridge -> haswell there's a 10-20% improvement.

and there's 4 extra cores,along with DDR4.yes I said 4,because in the article it compares it to 4 cores,unless I'm mistaken about what 4C¹ means.I'm assuming 4 core with one processor,could be wrong.

though even if it were referring to the 6 cores I could still buy 50% improvement with those 2 extra cores and 4 extra threads + the improvement from ivy to haswell.

I can buy 50% improvements in situations such as 3d modeling/animation +  rendering and Video Editing +rendering where it can take advantage of all the above. 

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Cool. When is the release? When Broadwell comes out in two years?

:rolleyes:

2nd half of 2014

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

lets hope it will be a better price per performance than what AMD has...

that'd be the ddr4 more than the 2 extra cores i think.

but a workstation computer with low power consumption sounds very nice.

lets hope it will be a better price per performance than what AMD has...

For an extreme grade CPU, wouldn't think so...

The 8 core will probably be the chip that will get my wallet to open for an upgrade.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

If you're thinking about gaming then there will be pretty much no need to bother with this at all.

Gaming is about to go X86 unified. That means that the only limitation to PC gaming will be the consoles, as is the norm. Because it will be easy to build a PC based on these consoles (and cheap) there will be no need for CPUs like this.

Why? well, in the past because of the differences in architecture and programming languages the best way to run a console port was with brute force. This way the sheer power being tossed at the game was enough to overcome all of the problems with it.

When that changes to X86 though the absolute most you are going to need is an 8 core AMD. Why? because that's what the console has and you can buy one that operates three times as fast with the same core architecture as the console counterpart.

So this means that PC games will be much easier to run and at much higher FPS counts because there is no transition between the coding.

Which will make CPUs like this a bit pointless really, unless you just want to wave your willy around.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Sounds like it will be a much bigger upgrade than Haswell was over Ivy Bridge (non E). Still it's over a year in the future so it's a bit too far away to get excited... Also it's completely useless for me but it's always interesting to look at the high end.

Did Intel have this CPU already and sitting on it. Till AMD released there  CPU pushed them to release it? Should we thank AMD?

DDR4? Really?

They haven't even released DDR4.

Also, this sounds more like rumours than anything else, especially since Intel hasn't released any info about IB-E.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Another Source from techpowerup: http://www.techpowerup.com/185719/haswell-e-intels-first-8-core-desktop-processor-exposed.html

Any idea about the removal of PCI/5V tolerance? What is that function about?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I really love the idea of an 8 core Haswell beast of a CPU, especially with how developers are finally starting to optimize for 8 cores.
But I always get excited for stuff that I can't afford & I have a suspicion that these chips will be horrifically expensive.

Just wondering, (because i really don't know) but does AMD have anything realistic coming out or combat this? to me 5Ghz/200watt cpus sound silly as hell...

This is insane. I'm glad I didn't go Haswell. Thanks OP.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

Just wondering, (because i really don't know) but does AMD have anything realistic coming out or combat this? to me 5Ghz/200watt cpus sound silly as hell...

well considering this is nearing server/workstation grade you should look at opteron processors. of which are VERY nice.

well... looks like im gonna have to change my next build a little :|

Character artist in the Games industry.