Google’s Chromecast Overtakes Apple TV in Battle for the Living Room

Aniallation

http://time.com/3616025/google-chromecast-apple-tv/

As tech companies vie for control of the television screen, a relatively new entrant is already making big gains.

Google’s Chromecast streaming stick managed to outsell the Apple TV in the first three quarters of 2014, according to research firm Parks Associates. Chromecast comprised 20% of the total sales for streaming devices in the U.S., while Apple TV netted just 17%.

Longtime market leader Roku continues to dominate with 29% of sales, but that’s down from around 45% in 2013. Amazon, another new competitor, has made solid progress with its Fire TV devices, gaining 10% marketshare in 2014.

Google’s quick ascent shows that the simplicity of the Chromecast, which allows users to stream content from their phones or tablets, may be a long-term winning strategy — its price, $35 to the Apple TV’s $99, probably hasn’t hurt either. Roku and Amazon, which started out with set-top boxes, both released cheaper Chromecast-like streaming sticks earlier this year.

While it seems that Roku still has the lead with these home theater boxes, it's nice to see Chromecast jump so far ahead of what used to be the very popular Apple TV.

If you live in the US or Canada and want your very own Chromecast, I'm giving one away for FREE to a lucky member of the LTT community! Enter the giveaway here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/262873-chromecast-giveaway/#entry3576199

"Rawr XD"

YES!! The apple TV is for vegetarian barefoot weed smoking VW bus driving hippies  (im vegetarian but not a hippie)

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I thought Apple TV was only for vegetarian food shows.

:lol:

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I don't know how this can surprise people. The Apple TV has been available for ages, the Chromecast has been out for a year. The people who want Apple TV picked one up long ago...

I recently grabbed an AppleTV from the storage room at my office, I kind of like it. Really only use it for Airparrot to stream my desktop

YES!! The apple TV is for vegetarian barefoot weed smoking VW bus driving hippies  (im vegetarian but not a hippie)

My cousin has one...

He's a manly man that owns his own flooring company.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

My cousin has one...

He's a manly man that owns his own flooring company.

im kidding

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

im kidding

Meat is good. Except crappy processed meat like The stuff on those premade pizzas

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Meat is good. Except crappy processed meat like The stuff on those premade pizzas

im not doing it for health or save the animals. Im doing it to conserve land for farming which means more food for every one

im not doing it for health or save the animals. Im doing it to conserve land for farming which means more food for every one

Bread is the best food :)

Bread is the best food :)

exactly 

exactly

Too bad in Alberta our economy is based off of Beef and Oil. More or less

Too bad in Alberta our economy is based off of Beef and Oil. More or less

I know :( wait your in AB .. interesting. at least my family is fed by educating people.

I know :( wait your in AB .. interesting. at least my family is fed by educating people.

1. You're*

2. I used to have my actual location in my profile.

3. My dad is a mechanic.

4. I like lists.

5. The imperials love their damned lists! mr.skyrim_pc

1. You're*

2. I used to have my actual location in my profile.

3. My dad is a mechanic.

4. I like lists.

5. The imperials love their damned lists! @mr. skyrim_pc

1. New official gRaMm3R Nazi of the LTT forums

2. ok

3. still living off oil

4. we should talk in lists

2. I like lists

How does not eating farm food same farm land? 

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

How does not eating farm food same farm land?

to feed a cow till the point where we can slaughter it requires a lot more crops than what it would take to feed the same amount of people that could have eaten the cow

to feed a cow till the point where we can slaughter it requires a lot more crops than what it would take to feed the same amount of people that could have eaten the cow

They don't feed animals real food, and cows just need grass. Watch the documentary Food Inc.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Never mind sapping the soil for nutrients and losing all that fertilizer that cows make, lets just eat soybeans, which if you live anywhere near a soybean field you would know, they leave the soil in an absolutely horrible state.

Seriously, our landlord grows soybeans and even though he uses fertilizers, the soil is so horrible we can't even grow onions. (he set aside a small piece of the field for us) we had to put down 3 truck loads of top soil before the soil became even semi decent for growing anything. Before that it was hard as a rock.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

They don't feed animals real food, and cows just need grass. Watch the documentary Food Inc.

thats not what I meant I watched it as well. What I meant was that instead of growing grass we could grow wheat and corn