Video Settings

KirbyTech

I am looking to do full manual video on the Canon T5. How would I go about doing this, I can set the ISO but not the shutter speed or aperture. 

Are you in the "M" mode?

If not, move the dial until it reads "M" Instead of Av,Tv, or whatever else it's set to. 

Are you in the "M" mode?

If not, move the dial until it reads "M" Instead of Av,Tv, or whatever else it's set to. 

Ah okay I was thinking that I could do it in video mode haha maybe I should wait till morning 

why would shutter speed be something you need to change filming

I don't need to, just figured where that would be I could find aperture. 

You use it to prevent rolling shutter. So if you're shooting video at 60FPS, you want your shutter speed to be 1/125th of a second. If you're shooting at 30FPS, you want your shutter speed to be 1/60th of a second.

Your shutter speed should always be twice the video frame rate... unless you want rolling shutter.

http://photography.tutsplus.com/articles/quick-tip-how-does-shutter-speed-affect-video--photo-12092

Your shutter speed should always be twice the video frame rate... unless you want rolling shutter.

Not always it depends on the look you want to achieve, there are a lot of Hollywood movies which aren't filmed (at least entirely) at a 180° shutter.

An example: http://cinemashock.org/2012/07/30/45-degree-shutter-in-saving-private-ryan/

Also if your camera is having a rolling shutter you are always having a rolling shutter.

at the moments you are filming electronics, you might see some quick flashing in video's with electronics,this is because the shutter speed and refresh rate(if monitor) or the power source( ac power, wich switches positive end negative x amount of times each second)are at the same speed.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Ah okay I was thinking that I could do it in video mode haha maybe I should wait till morning 

You should be able to do it in Video as well, but you might have to go into your camera settings and change the Video Exposure to Manual.

Workstation: i7-4930k | Asus Rampage IV Gene | Reference GTX 780 | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO | Corsair RM650 | MidNight Black BitFenix Prodigy M

Old Rigi5-2500k @ 4.7 GHz | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | EVGA GTX 560 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | 240 GB Samsung 830 Pro | 1TB Hitachi | CoolerMaster Storm Scout (1)

You should be able to do it in Video as well, but you might have to go into your camera settings and change the Video Exposure to Manual.

It was set to manual. The Manual mode works so can't complain. 

You use it to prevent rolling shutter. So if you're shooting video at 60FPS, you want your shutter speed to be 1/125th of a second. If you're shooting at 30FPS, you want your shutter speed to be 1/60th of a second.

http://photography.tutsplus.com/articles/quick-tip-how-does-shutter-speed-affect-video--photo-12092

Rolling shutter is a separate issue from shutter speed/angle. What you're talking about is motion blur and shutter angle; 'rolling shutter' is the way the sensor records video. In a typical film camera, each frame will stop for a fraction of a second in the gate to expose the frame. Most DSLR's and prosumer video cameras have a CMOS sensor that will actually start recording the top portion of the sensor while the bottom is still recording the previous frame. That process results in 'jelloing,' which is most easily seen by panning very quickly. What should be vertical lines end up skewing at an angle because the camera is moving faster than the sensor is recording entire frames. A camera with a global shutter (mostly high end cinema cameras/cameras with CCDs) will record the exposed pixels for a given frame all at once before moving to the next frame.

Shutter angle should generally be 180* to maintain a 'cinematic' or film-like motion blur. This is another relic of the film days, which I won't fully go into for it is quite boring. For a camera with a rolling shutter or only shutter speed controls, like you said,  you take the inverse of twice the framerate (in seconds). However, this WILL NOT prevent rolling shutter/jelloing issues, as that the sensor, but it will give you a smooth and 'natural' (this is up to debate) looking motion of subjects that you are filming. As @spider. said, it's not a rule you have to necessarily follow. A faster shutter speed will give you a smaller shutter angle and less motion blur; while a slower shutter speed with give you a larger shutter angle and more motion blur. I personally shoot 24fps at 1/40 sec rather than 1/50 sec, I like the extra bit of exposure and it seems to smooth out some of the 'sharpness' that digital inevitably has.

Edit: Because you're pretty much locked into relatively slow shutter speeds for video, a set of ND filters or a variable ND filter is a necessity for bright scenes if you want to maintain an open aperture/shallow depth of field.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't quite know this. Thanks for the info. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator