Objects appearing and "snapping" the closer I get in games!

anthonyc813

Unfortunately this is a problem lots of games suffer. For example, Games like Battlefield 3 suffer from dandelions popping in only withing a few feet of your character when strolling through the grass fields of say, Caspian border. games like Skyrim have problem such as Z-Fighting, when textures in the distance appear to flicker (noticeable on mountains with snow) and can be very annoying at times. some games like Skyrim, you can edit and tweak to fix, while others like Battlefield...well your screwed=/. You just have to learn to ignore it. I recommend doing a YouTube search on it for that specific game and see if there are any .ini commands you can change to help diminish this issue with said game.

If you are into Skyrim, I recommend checking out a YouTuber by the name of GOPHER. He is a Modder and will address every problem in the game like pop-ins and z-fighting and have solutions for it. Also, he can teach you how to mod. Cool stuff, don't MOD without 8GB+ of RAM, or on 86x OS, you will CTD a lot. I'm speaking from experience.

Z77A-G43 LGA 1155, Intel I5 3450s, Radeon R9 290 (non-X), Cooler Master V750 Gold (750W) PSU, 2x4GB Ripjaws X 1866 MHz, 1x4 Crucial 1866 MHz, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, Thor V2 Full-tower Case, Acer 1920x1080 Monitor

Lame... I haven't tried skyrim in over a year. Just wanted to see if the rest of library is acting up like all the dragon age games... always thought it was a hard ware upgrade thing... do consoles do.this too?

My windows is on a ssd that's 5 years old. If it's not a pain I'll try the Windows reinstall..

Would lowering some settings reduce texture pop up?

snip

sounds to me like your noticing LOD (level of detail) pop-in - things at further distances are replaced with low quality versions to improve frame rate and reduce memory usage. As you get closer to something it then snaps to its "high quality" version and this can sometimes be very noticible... I notice it really badley in Farcry 4 - when driving there is literally two separate waves of different quality regions, there is a band where the shadows change from soft shadows to low quality shadows and a band where the tessellation applies and even one where the foliage disappears. its terrible... hurts my feels so much I refuse to play it until its patched.

this also applied in some engines to "off-screen" items, the engine that powers the new wolfenstein is notorious for it (the ID rage engine or something?)

each game can be "hacked" or modded (sometimes( to change the levels at where the game engines makes these changes to be further and further away and at wider and wider FOV to avoid this being so noticeable... games like skyrim can benefit from this as the hardware today is capable of so much more than the in game "sliders" that control this.

Another way to reduce this is to install the game on a faster storage media, installing the game on an SSD is a good option to avoid FOV related LOD

Is your harddrive less than 90% full? when was the last time you defragged?

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

sounds to me like your noticing LOD (level of detail) pop-in - things at further distances are replaced with low quality versions to improve frame rate and reduce memory usage. As you get closer to something it then snaps to its "high quality" version and this can sometimes be very noticible... I notice it really badley in Farcry 4 - when driving there is literally two separate waves of different quality regions, there is a band where the shadows change from soft shadows to low quality shadows and a band where the tessellation applies and even one where the foliage disappears. its terrible... hurts my feels so much I refuse to play it until its patched.

this also applied in some engines to "off-screen" items, the engine that powers the new wolfenstein is notorious for it (the ID rage engine or something?)

each game can be "hacked" or modded (sometimes( to change the levels at where the game engines makes these changes to be further and further away and at wider and wider FOV to avoid this being so noticeable... games like skyrim can benefit from this as the hardware today is capable of so much more than the in game "sliders" that control this.

Another way to reduce this is to install the game on a faster storage media, installing the game on an SSD is a good option to avoid FOV related LOD

Is your harddrive less than 90% full? when was the last time you defragged?

i defragged both HD's this weekend. all games are on the regular HD. the SSD is for windows and minor stuff. should I put origin and Inquisition on the SSD and see if that helps?

i defragged both HD's this weekend. all games are on the regular HD. the SSD is for windows and minor stuff. should I put origin and Inquisition on the SSD and see if that helps?

It is worth a shot.

Putting games that stream world data all the time from the HDD (like Skyrim) can very much benefit from being put on an SSD.

It is worth a shot.

Putting games that stream world data all the time from the HDD (like Skyrim) can very much benefit from being put on an SSD.

OK ill try that today after work.

is it possible to split my steam library on 2 HDs? the games i currently play on the SSD and everything else on the HD? or do I have to get a 1TB SSD for everything? I can put Origin on the SSD no problem cause I only have 2 games on that but my steam library is over 900GB of stuff...

Potential bottlenecks in your system:

-If you really are gaming off a Western Digital Green drive, download the official WD software and turn off intellispeed or whatever it's called. This feature of Green drives 'park' the reader head of the HDD leading to much longer access times. This is why Green drives should only be used for storage, media or backup.

-If that is not it, and your problem persisted across several GPUs, you may need to check that the PCIe slot is clean. Get a can of compressed air if it looks gunky and let rip. Alternatively, switch PCIe slots if you have an alternate slot.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Potential bottlenecks in your system:

-If you really are gaming off a Western Digital Green drive, download the official WD software and turn off intellispeed or whatever it's called. This feature of Green drives 'park' the reader head of the HDD leading to much longer access times. This is why Green drives should only be used for storage, media or backup.

-If that is not it, and your problem persisted across several GPUs, you may need to check that the PCIe slot is clean. Get a can of compressed air if it looks gunky and let rip. Alternatively, switch PCIe slots if you have an alternate slot.

OK thanks, ill pop open the case and see if the slot is dirty. it shouldnt be cause the board is a year old this week and had a card in it since day one but ill check. I am not sure what color HD so im guessing its green cause I probably grabbed a cheap on that day last year. i cant look till 4pm EST today though...

if its a possible bottle neck how could I check and correct it? its a FX 8320 OC to 4.21 temps never gone above 39* cause I keep all fans on full blast all the time. nice and cool in there. I am hoping its the HD everything is on. Id rather not buy a new intel CPU and motherboard when my current stuff should last another year or so in theory, right?

It is worth a shot.

i did the 30 bucks off and got 2x 240 crucial SSD's and checked with a IT guy at work and made a thread on LTT to make sure I can put some steam games on a separate SSD and keep everythign else on the 1TB HD and everythign would open and play as normal. hope this works... ill be kinda upset if it wasnt a GPU issue this whole time cause I really didn't need the STRIX 970... my R 280X was jsut fine fow what I do with it.

thank you all for the advice and help. i love these forums. helps dummies like me understand more and more and learn how to use and fix the PC's we love to play gmaes on

<3

Will getting Windows 8 reduce texture pop in?

No. In fact W8 is poorly optimized for games, developers really don't bother with it too much unless they program for a touch screen interface like CivV does. Or at least has the option for. Stick with Windows 7 for now and hope that Windows 10 isn't a disappointment.

Z77A-G43 LGA 1155, Intel I5 3450s, Radeon R9 290 (non-X), Cooler Master V750 Gold (750W) PSU, 2x4GB Ripjaws X 1866 MHz, 1x4 Crucial 1866 MHz, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, Thor V2 Full-tower Case, Acer 1920x1080 Monitor

No. In fact W8 is poorly optimized for games, developers really don't bother with it too much unless they program for a touch screen interface like CivV does. Or at least has the option for. Stick with Windows 7 for now and hope that Windows 10 isn't a disappointment.

OK thanks. I hope putting some games on a SSD will reduce or correct the texture pop in I dislike... will also do a fresh driver install today as well and see if that helps...

if it is a bottle neck problem, how can I fix that or improve it without buying a new CPU and mother board?

Try doing a clean install of the newest NVIDIA drivers but using Display Driver Uninstaller first.

Uninstall your current drivers (make sure you have the newest drivers for your NVIDIA card already downloaded to your computer). Restart. Make sure Windows Update DOES NOT automatically install drivers for you (you can do this by unplugging internet for a moment). Run Display Driver Uninstaller, Select AMD and select "Uninstall Current and Previous Drivers, DO NOT restart computer." Then Select NVIDIA, and select "Uninstall Current and Previous Drivers, restart computer." Install the New Drivers after restarted (the ones you have downloaded already). Restart Computer. Plug in internet again, make sure Windows Update doesn't try to install an older version of the NVIDIA drivers (if you see it appears in Windows Update just hide it). Make sure you dont forget to go back into NVIDIA Control Panel and change Texture Filtering back to High Quality, again

​See if that does anything. Might have some old versions of drivers conflicting somehwere.

did exactly this except the AMD part.... i hit restart then followed the rest of your instructions to the T. safe mode, no internet, and did a 2nd clean up then put back on 344.75 that I saved. gonna test this out now. did the high texture quality in the control panel for Nvidia as well

OK thanks. I hope putting some games on a SSD will reduce or correct the texture pop in I dislike... will also do a fresh driver install today as well and see if that helps...

if it is a bottle neck problem, how can I fix that or improve it without buying a new CPU and mother board?

Judging by the Specs on your profile, an SSD is all that's worth improving over HDD. Everything else is near top notch for gaming.

Judging by the Specs on your profile, an SSD is all that's worth improving over HDD. Everything else is near top notch for gaming.

thank you sir <3

after the clean install i tried dragon age origin and it went down quite a bit. not went away but not enraging. maybe cause I am only looking for it now? I will give Inquisition a break tonight and wait till teh SSDs come in the mail Tuesday and see whats up. thank you all for the support! i also googled 8320 and GTX 970 and a few tomshardware and 3dguru threads all said ill be fine for a while with that combo. no holding each other back on anything

thank you sir <3

after the clean install i tried dragon age origin and it went down quite a bit. not went away but not enraging. maybe cause I am only looking for it now? I will give Inquisition a break tonight and wait till teh SSDs come in the mail Tuesday and see whats up. thank you all for the support! i also googled 8320 and GTX 970 and a few tomshardware and 3dguru threads all said ill be fine for a while with that combo. no holding each other back on anything

You cant really ever get rid of it, it will always be there, you can only sometimes diminish the effect. Also, try adjusting FOV sometimes that helps, or Depth of Field.

You cant really ever get rid of it, it will always be there, you can only sometimes diminish the effect. Also, try adjusting FOV sometimes that helps, or Depth of Field.

lame... I will adjust those FOV/DOF settings from now on if I seem them in a game, thanks! hopefully that will help