I am sick of Intel (Rant)

I bought my 4770k for 279.99. Not my fault you live in a nation that is not important to Intel and has high taxes so prices are much higher.

Our taxes are quite low actually [8% VAT]. We just earn about 2-3x of an average US citizen, so our stuff is somewhat more expensive =P

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Not all enthusiasts have £270 to spend on an i7 3820 and £170 on a bare minimum 2011 board.

Well worth it even if you have to sell a kidney......and perhaps one of your 'nads as well! :D  I have an LGA2011 setup, as well as an FX8350, neither has disappointed me in games and other uses, like ripping.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Really guys I'm ashamed this isn't a discussion anymore A LOT (not all) of you are just spouting random arguments at each other, without even listening to each other.... this is just a hate war between the red and green/blue camp..

Hope thread gets closed.. Sure linus (or any thinking being for that matter) would want this..

Yarrrr, ye be warned lily-livered scallywags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI#t=93

The problem is that a good chip costs more than a non-enthusiast would want to pay, and underclocking a chips is pointless unless you're trying to lower heat output in a tablet or ultrabook.. Underclocking a CPU doesn't decrease the cost of the CPU at all, so there would be no reason to underclock CPUs for non-enthusiast platforms..

Mobile chips ARE on a completely different tier than their desktop counterparts; they aren't interchangeable in any way.. Are you suggesting that Intel makes a completely different architecture for their mobile CPUs than their desktop CPUs??  Like Dudenstein said, that would only increase the price of the chips, because they would now have to design and manufacture two new architectures each generation, which would essentially double the development/production cost.. What do you think that would do to prices?

Why should we care what the CPUs cost Intel? I am not suggesting different architectures, rather different features for different platforms. If Intel can produce a single processor that can be used in every single type of system, but work as it should (more desktop performance models, less power consumption models for laptops), that's fine by me. But producing a desktop chip that is designed for a laptop? Hell no.

OK well if you don't care about power consumption in the next 10 years a CPU would have a TDP of like 1000 watts. Besides CPUs are fast enough for everything you need to do.

How does power consumption affect you? Do you mind the 40$ more you have to pay for your annual power bill but you can spend 150$ more on a cpu? We shouldn't have to settle for enough because Intel wants to make money. Be reminded of fast enough in 10 years and don't upgrade your system till then to see if they are fast enough.

because bigger numbers mean eveything for some people and not the technological advances and they are butthurt beacuse the socket changed. and there is not reason to ugrade unless you need too, right now technogoly is at its peak and we cant really make things have huge leaps as they did before

Technology isn't anywhere near its peak. We could have so much more if we demanded them.

10% performance less power consumption, bettter RAM contollers, and better iGPU are all reasons to upgrade. Not from IVB unless you are an entusiast, but from older stuff. People consider AMD's top of the line CPU's which consume a ton more power and put out a ton more heat becuase they are trying to catch up, but they are not advancing. They are trowing more GHZ at the problem instead of improving perfomance ATM. They have to push and scale up so much more just to be competitive. even Intel's flagship (3970X (based on 2 year old architecture about to be updated soon tough)) is using less power than a 8350.

I don't think anyone with a desktop cares about power consumption. Ram controllers on Haswell are useless if you manage to overclock. iGP is no reason to upgrade a desktop processor. How exactly more heat from AMD's cpus affects you other the fact that you need slightly better cooling which is much more attainable for a lower price than a power efficient chip? AMD doesn't have the cash right now and you supporting the company that is bleeding us dry doesn't help them, but that is your choice.

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

Really guys I'm ashamed this isn't a discussion anymore A LOT (not all) of you are just spouting random arguments at each other, without even listening to each other.... this is just a hate war between the red and green/blue camp

I 100% agree with you

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Well worth it even if you have to sell a kidney......and perhaps one of your 'nads as well! :D  I have an LGA2011 setup, as well as an FX8350, neither has disappointed me in games and other uses, like ripping.

LGA 2011 is really only for 6 core cpus. The 3820 performs worse than the 3770K albeit the huge similarities on the specs sheets and the price premium of the 2011 platform.

Really guys I'm ashamed this isn't a discussion anymore A LOT (not all) of you are just spouting random arguments at each other, without even listening to each other.... this is just a hate war between the red and green/blue camp..

Hope thread gets closed.. Sure linus (or any thinking being for that matter) would want this..

I just want to let you know that i was a huge Intel and Nvidia fan right up to sandy bridge. Right now I'm rocking a 7950 which I got very cheap and saving up for Steamroller.

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

Haha... Why does every time a post like this in the General Discussion section always turn out to be a HUGE Debate.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

2. They use extremely high TIM's, but they used too much and there is a space between the TIM and the lid. Delid and just keep the TIM (maybe take a bit off) they have on it and your temps will drop quite a bit.

For the price you pay you shouldn't have to delid your cpu.

Spoiler

Haha... Why does every time a post like this in the General Discussion section always turn out to be a HUGE Debate.

It seems many people are afraid they have not bought "the best" and start raging. It's always the same really.

See Logans AMD videos, caused huge QQ. But it's fun to watch every time :D

Once you utter critique about a certain product, be it whatever, one part will agree and the other part will QQ. ^^

what raid you running those six hdd's in ?? speed benchmarks ??

I am SICK of cheese on my pizza...

Please don't go off topic guys.  :)

Spoiler

I'll just post this so this debate keeps going on and on...
some-men-just-want-to-watch-the-world-bu

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

For the price you pay you shouldn't have to delid your cpu.

Enthusiasts are the ones who OC and care about this. If you are not an enthusiast then why are you even arguing. A enthusiast gets the most out of their system. Delidding isn't even hard.

I'll just post this so this debate keeps going on and on...

some-men-just-want-to-watch-the-world-bu

In it's current state? sure ^^ =P

Enthusiasts are the ones who OC and care about this. If you are not an enthusiast then why are you even arguing. A enthusiast gets the most out of their system. Delidding isn't even hard.

I would delid my cpu but no one else's, if they asked for the same performance. I don't want to void guarantees because Intel cheaps out.

Spoiler

what raid you running those six hdd's in ?? speed benchmarks ??

I don't have them in a raid surprisingly, 4 of them are fill up with movies, 1 is filled up with just software, and the bottom one is my HDD that has OSX on it, I also have a 256GB Samsung 840 pro on the back of the motherboard try, which has Windows 7 on it and some games.

I have a Media sever in my laundry room. It has 8 2TB WD Blacks in it, they are all in raid 5 but I have never done any benchmarks on them, sadly to say.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Sure, that makes an awesome product, the necessity to basically take it appart completely, because the manufacturer is not giving a shit. I love tinkering around with my PC and similar stuff, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

And following this reasoning, to be an Enthusiast, you'd have to solder your own PCBs and build your own CPUs.

I would delid my cpu but no one else's, if they asked for the same performance. I don't want to void guarantees because Intel cheaps out.

Intel didn't cheap out though. moving to 22nm and 3d transitors meant that soldering the cap would not be good enough on heat dispersion. The TIm they use is high quality too. They just used too much TIM and there is a space between the TIM and lid.

Sure, that makes an awesome product, the necessity to basically take it appart completely, because the manufacturer is not giving a shit. I love tinkering around with my PC and similar stuff, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

And following this reasoning, to be an Enthusiast, you'd have to solder your own PCBs and build your own CPUs.

No, delidding is easy as if not easier than OCing which is one of the main things entusiasts do. Builcing your own PCB's and CPU's is almost impossible.

LGA 2011 is really only for 6 core cpus. The 3820 performs worse than the 3770K albeit the huge similarities on the specs sheets and the price premium of the 2011 platform.

Well, the LGA2011 platform isn't for everyone, and guys I hang out with in the local forum have at least a 3930K installed, with most having the same CPU as me. One of the reason why I'd chosen this platform is due to its native 40 PCIe lanes with my cards doing PCIe 3.0 @x16/x8/x16. It's the platform for multiple GPU setups and not for the faint hearted.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Intel didn't cheap out though. moving to 22nm and 3d transitors meant that soldering the cap would not be good enough on heat dispersion. The TIm they use is high quality too. They just used too much TIM and there is a space between the TIM and lid.

Especially the gap between the lid and the TIM is plainly bad manufacturing and pretty much showing the "not giving a shit"-attitude. This screams "good enough for you" right into your face.

No, delidding is easy as if not easier than OCing which is one of the main things entusiasts do. Builcing your own PCB's and CPU's is almost impossible.

Would you also build your own house or modify yourself your own car? We buy stuff expecting they work impeccably right out the box, not buying them so that we make them work as they should by ourselves.

Spoiler

Would you also build your own house or modify yourself your own car?

...People do this you know.. Lots of people. And after they're done? The get this.. sense of accomplishment and self-worth. Pretty stupid of them, huh?