Shadowplay coming june 25

mvitkun

Does anyone know if this will work with mobile Kepler cards? I feel like I'm left out of some of the things *Nvidia Shield*

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

I'm getting an MSI z87 board specifically for the quick sync support to see if it can be used as a codec in dxtory

I don't think that will work sadly, but I looked around on doom9 and found a program called "Action!" and it can (supposedly) with the help of Lucid Virtu and QuickSync do on the fly encoding to H.264 using the onboard graphics.

http://mirillis.com/en/products/action.html

Some guys on doom9 is trying to get QuickSync to work with Dxtory but it seems like it's pretty hard to do (especially without help from Intel or the developers of Dxtory).

Couple of points:

First of all, GeForce 600 series was the first NVidia series to feature hardware dedicated solely to h.264 encoding, as per their whitepaper: http://www.geforce.com/Active/en_US/en_US/pdf/GeForce-GTX-680-Whitepaper-FINAL.pdf

Turn to page 26, NVENC section. Ergo, shadowplay is likely a software feature to take advantage of this hardware, hence incompatibility with previous NVidia cards (which could encode h.264, but it used the CUDA capabilities and so would directly impact performance in games).

Secondly, the HD 7000 series already includes a hardware h.264 encoder, which AMD called the Video Codec Engine (link: http://anandtech.com/show/5261/amd-radeon-hd-7970-review/9). It may therefore be possible (not knowing the details and not being a GPU engineer I don't really know) for AMD to enable similar functionality for the HD 7000 series and up. /wild_speculation ;)

I don't think that will work sadly, but I looked around on doom9 and found a program called "Action!" and it can (supposedly) with the help of Lucid Virtu and QuickSync do on the fly encoding to H.264 using the onboard graphics.

http://mirillis.com/en/products/action.html

Some guys on doom9 is trying to get QuickSync to work with Dxtory but it seems like it's pretty hard to do (especially without help from Intel or the developers of Dxtory).

Time will tell..ill certainly be keen to try further. With the people behind handbrake and Intel working together for transcoding, the software side will progress further too, admitted separate, but yeah.

It may be another gen away before realtime quicksync gameplay recordings. A man can dream tho.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

This will make me buy an NVidia counterpart to AMD's 7950 if the prices and performance have no more than a 7% difference. If it does, back to Fraps.

Edit: I forgot I was planning to buy the AverMedia Portable to record Tales of Xillia footage for PS3 which can also be used be PC with little performance impact. Derp

How does it determine what is 'gameplay'? Will it only be directx 11 titles? I used fraps to record zsnes and dosbox.

If it can record anything and not just games that the software has enabled it for, it would be awesome. My guess is if nvidia sells more cards because of it, AMD will add it. I don't know exactly how it works, but I would imagine they would be able to figure a way to do it without requiring a TON of engineering. It probably won't be on their next gen cards, but maybe the ones after that.

I wonder if they have worked out anything that will let you record and post the content without it being a copyright infringement? In Saints Row the 3rd there was a record option and it would strip out all the music. I wonder if this will do anything like that? I have no idea how it could without the games being programmed for it... but just thinking out loud.

Where do i download it? i cant find anything on the nvidia website

it should come with geforce experience(when theres an update) which should be today sometime

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

It's know the 26th so where is the "Shadowplay". Was that an official date or was it just a rumor that it was coming out on the 25th.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I'm disappointed that it doesn't seem to support any lossless video formats.

I'm disappointed that it doesn't seem to support any lossless video formats.

Then use fraps.

This is a dedicated h264 encoder.

It's like saying you're disappointed coca-cola isn't a beach umbrella.

Cookie Cutter Build log

It's June 26th in England and I still can't get ShadowPlay. Was the date correct or was it wrong.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Then use fraps.

This is a dedicated h264 encoder.

It's like saying you're disappointed coca-cola isn't a beach umbrella.

Not really. The whole point of it is to record video at reasonable frame rates, and if you spent over $600 like I did on my GTX 680 they should at LEAST be able to record losslessly using Shadowplay. I don't know much about this whole encoder thing anyway, that's why I brought it up.

k, its the 26th, where is it? :C

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Still waiting. I guess this was an unofficial leak, but nevertheless do hope to see it launched and in action within a few weeks :)

PC in Profile

Not really. The whole point of it is to record video at reasonable frame rates, and if you spent over $600 like I did on my GTX 680 they should at LEAST be able to record losslessly using Shadowplay. I don't know much about this whole encoder thing anyway, that's why I brought it up.

Self entitled much?

The fact of the matter is you did not buy the 680 with shadowplay in mind. Fraps has always been there.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Self entitled much?

The fact of the matter is you did not buy the 680 with shadowplay in mind. Fraps has always been there.

How is it self-entitled? It's such a minor, inexpensive request. Even the lower end GPUs have the same encoder, so obviously it must not cost much at all for that, and most likely not for a lossless one either.

All I said was that I'd like to have a lossless solution, you act like I'm asking for 5 butlers and a mansion. Why are you so mad?

depends if future games will be over optimized for AMD

and leave Nvidia waiting for good drivers to make the game playable like Need for Speed: Shift  on AMD cards

or waiting for a glitch to be fixed which would take a month sometimes

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

How is it self-entitled? It's such a minor, inexpensive request. Even the lower end GPUs have the same encoder, so obviously it must not cost much at all for that, and most likely not for a lossless one either.

All I said was that I'd like to have a lossless solution, you act like I'm asking for 5 butlers and a mansion. Why are you so mad?

H.264 encoding is lossless.

Are you sure? Like I said I don't know a whole lot about it but from what I've read it's lossy.

It is not here yet? :(

OR can I just not see it since I have a 560ti (in this computer)

Are you sure? Like I said I don't know a whole lot about it but from what I've read it's lossy.

H.264 is in 99.99% of the cases lossy. You can use it for lossless though, but the files are huge and you might as well use FRAPs if that's what you want.

What does it use for the audio? Can't find that anywhere.

How do I get shadowplay? Do I have to update to the beta driver or something?

PC Specs:

CPU: i7-3770k OC @ 4.4GHz                       Graphics: MSI GTX 670 PE              SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB                    Case: Cooler Master Haf X      Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16gb 2x8gb 1600 mhz

MotherBoard: Asus Maximus V formula      Optical: Asus 24x DVD Burner        HDD: x2 Seagate Barracuda 3TB        PSU: Corsair AX850             Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Cookie Cutter Build log

How do I get shadowplay? Do I have to update to the beta driver or something?

It will be part of Geforce Experience.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch