AMD's 380X preview (Captain Jack?)

Linusinium

Their desktop drivers are fine. Their mobility driver on the other hand....

Anyway, I think AMD are loosing money from their CPU line (they are getting their ass handed to them by intel in mobile cpus and mid-high end cpus)

True, the mobile driver is really bad.. I have zero problems with the desktop ones, but my notebook's will always prefer to use its iGPU rather than the radeon graphics.. Which is shitty.. I've looked for support for it for the last year and got nothing in return..

@Topic: This is very interesting, I'm looking forward to more info on the new cards.. Hope they are all we expect :D

Looks like Ti versions as well as new titans are coming if this is true.

Pretty damn sure there won't be a 980 Ti.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Hopefully 20 nm and 3D stacked memory... that would explain the gain in power efficiency.
And Fiji is an awesome codename too, I like AMD's branding with islands.

My current build :

Hurricane Mk.I

• CPU - Intel Core i5-4690K @ 4.6 GHz ~ 1.25V
  • Cooling - Corsair H60 2013 Edition
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 (mATX)
  • RAM - 16 GB DDR3-1600 Avexir Core Series (Red LEDs)
  • GPU - XFX Radeon R9 Fury X @ 1100/500 MHz -24 mV
  • Case - CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3
  • SSD - 256 GB ADATA SX900
  • HDD - 1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM
  • PSU - Corsair RM750 (750W 80+ Gold)
  • Display - LG 34UM67-P Ultrawide (Freesync)
  • Keyboard - CM Storm Quickfire TK (Cherry MX Red) + CM Masterkeys Pro S RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
  • Mouse - Razer DeathAdder 2013
  • Audio - Sennheiser HD598 SE with detachable mic
  • OS - Windows 10 Home Edition
  • VR - Lenovo Explorer Windows Mixed Reality Headset
  • Laptop - ASUS K501LX with i7-5500U and GTX 950M

I can't belive somebody on this forum has started claiming that AMD has inferior image quality. Please be responsible about what you post, millions of people randomly google stuff and sometimes get linked to this forum and they may believe that you are a credible source.

For someone who claims to not be a fanboy you sound quite like one. First and foremost AMD drivers are fine. I've never had an issue with them and they've grown to be stable ever since the Never Settle campaign launched. Sure there are little issues, quirks and other minor stuff but that's to be expected from any video drivers (including Nvidia).

Exactly. AMD drivers are fine on Windows. I switched to AMD after like 8 years of Nvidia and my driver experience has been positive. And the catalyst control panel is good too, with Nvidia I had to do workarounds to get HDMI to output the full 0-255 RGB colour range.

Where AMD has to improve is their Linux driver gaming performance. In that area Nvidia is ahead.

this makes.....0.....sense. its a i'll believe it when i see it situation for me

I think that this is just asking to play pirated games. I mean, "Hey, you pirated FC4? Good luck running in dude." "Yarr boy, me an' Capt'n Jack can handle it no problem!"

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

Man, my fingers are crossed hoping that if that graph is true(which it is sketch as all hell), but if it is true.. I want -that- card to be the 380x.  I want AMD to just pull out a trick up their sleeve and make nVidia's jaw drop at the performance of their low offering 380x compared to what would've been GM210 / GM200 x80 offering.  So, hoping.  Because then the 390x would have around 70fps in most 1440p games and that'd make me happy :3  Crossfire scaling would probably allow one to drive far beyond 110 fps on two cards and that'd just mean a dual-gpu solution could last -many- years longer.  Hope.  It shall never fail me!

For someone who claims to not be a fanboy you sound quite like one. First and foremost AMD drivers are fine. I've never had an issue with them and they've grown to be stable ever since the Never Settle campaign launched. Sure there are little issues, quirks and other minor stuff but that's to be expected from any video drivers (including Nvidia). As for image quality both hardware and device drivers play no part in texture quality. You're probably thinking of PhysX as being better graphics in confusion. PhysX is only an add-on API for a select few games. It also doesn't enhance the game textures either. So where you're getting this "Nvidia has superior image quality over AMD" is beyond me. Also to contrary belief Nvidia is actually behind AMD in quite a few things as well. As for getting in touch with game developers? Mantle is being used in over 22 game titles. Which means AMD is in touch with more game developers than Nvidia at the moment. Also look at how big the Never Settle campaign is right now. It's hard to say AMD isn't in touch with the gaming market.

I don't know if you are just dumb, in denial or just missinformed. But i kinda like the "drivers have no problems for me, so they are fine" mentality.

First off, there are alot of people with issues  with AMD drivers for more then a year, on destop, on modern GPUs. Here are a few examples: features like types of AA not working after you turn on other features like AO;  GPU clocks locking on UVD/desktop clocks when you go on a fullscreen 3d application; some types of video not being acelerated, Bad scaling on few monitors, horrible scaling on cf (just read guru3d forum and you will see).

These aren't minor things. They would be minor if they got fixed 1-2 months after with a new driver. Some of these persist for more than a year.

Secondly, i didn't talk about "texture" quality, so stop reading only what you want to read. I specificly mentioned stuff like AO and said that stuff like this, enchanced godrays, physx in few cases and other stuff, makes the games more eye candy. That, for me, matters. I couldn't care less if that doesn't matter for you. Also, i got all this from personal experience. I don't go around reading random retarded google stuff to be posting here. I kinda even tried few stuff trading gpu's (780 isnt mine) and yes, i do prefer the nvidia side of things.

In the end, what i meant was: if i have 2k USD at this precise moment, and want to build a system, i would build an nvidia one. I would get a more pleasing experience with than if i bough and AMD one. I would have physx if i wanted to, gsync (wich is godlike) if i wanted to, and few other good stuff. I would get more stable drivers, more intuitive software (nvidia experience >raptr imo), etc, etc..

And no, i'm not saying that AMD is bad, but they need to kick it up a notch, specially on the software side of things. 

I don't know if you are just dumb, in denial or just missinformed. But i kinda like the "drivers have no problems for me, so they are fine" mentality.

First off, there are alot of people with issues  with AMD drivers for more then a year, on destop, on modern GPUs. Here are a few examples: features like types of AA not working after you turn on other features like AO;  GPU clocks locking on UVD/desktop clocks when you go on a fullscreen 3d application; some types of video not being acelerated, Bad scaling on few monitors, horrible scaling on cf (just read guru3d forum and you will see).

These aren't minor things. They would be minor if they got fixed 1-2 months after with a new driver. Some of these persist for more than a year.

Secondly, i didn't talk about "texture" quality, so stop reading only what you want to read. I specificly mentioned stuff like AO and said that stuff like this, enchanced godrays, physx in few cases and other stuff, makes the games more eye candy. That, for me, matters. I couldn't care less if that doesn't matter for you. Also, i got all this from personal experience. I don't go around reading random retarded google stuff to be posting here. I kinda even tried few stuff trading gpu's (780 isnt mine) and yes, i do prefer the nvidia side of things.

In the end, what i meant was: if i have 2k USD at this precise moment, and want to build a system, i would build an nvidia one. I would get a more pleasing experience with than if i bough and AMD one. I would have physx if i wanted to, gsync (wich is godlike) if i wanted to, and few other good stuff. I would get more stable drivers, more intuitive software (nvidia experience >raptr imo), etc, etc..

And no, i'm not saying that AMD is bad, but they need to kick it up a notch, specially on the software side of things. 

but then again you do not see people flooding forums with "I have an AMD card and there is no problem with the driver at all" you only hear about the problems, as a driver should not have any problems

And same here, there was not any problem so far for me with drivers, and SLI/CF does not scale well at many games, as it takes optimizing to make them work

Edit: do not type while you are speaking to your teacher. just do not

but then again you do not see people flooding forums with "I have an AMD card and there is no problem with the driver at all" you only hear about the problems, as a driver should not have any problems

And same here, there was any problem so far for me with drivers, and SLI/CF does not scale well at many games, as it takes optimizing to make them work

Google: "amd driver Problem" - 7.800.000 results (Note: This will also include all of their cpus, apus and gpus)

Google: "nvidia driver Problem" - 7.940.000 results (Note: This will only include nvidia gpus) 

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

Google: "amd driver Problem" - 7.800.000 results (Note: This will also include all of their cpus, apus and gpus)

Google: "nvidia driver Problem" - 7.940.000 results (Note: This will only include nvidia gpus) 

Somehow AMD is embedded in people`s mind as bad

for CPU I can understand that, but for GPU, AMD/ATi are always producing great graphics cards, they are always in the top, in Price/Performance and in technologies.

People tend to forget this at generation changes (like now) and for some random reason why they say Nvidia is the best...

It has to have a low price if they want to steal nvidia customers.

Also what's the latest rumor on the release date? I knew it was Q1 but now I hear people sayings its going to be late Q2 somewhat

To be fair, there are no CPU drivers so the AMD results are for their GPUs as well. On top of that, Nvidia GPUs are far more common than AMD GPUs. AMD has 29.3% marketshare and Nvidia has 51.6 according to the Steam survey.

So the ratio if Google results per 1000 user is far far higher on AMD's side.

Luckily for you however, the number of Google results is an absolutely terrible way of trying to argue that X has better drivers than Y.

So your own argument is actually arguing against you, but it was a terrible argument to begin with so it shouldn't be used against you.

Somehow AMD is embedded in people`s mind as bad

for CPU I can understand that, but for GPU, AMD/ATi are always producing great graphics cards, they are always in the top, in Price/Performance and in technologies.

People tend to forget this at generation changes (like now) and for some random reason why they say Nvidia is the best...

You could say the exact same thing about AMD people. They are always saying Nvidia is worse at price/performance even though it's not true. I don't know what you mean by "always in the top in technologies".

You're just as guilty as the people you are complaining about. You shouldn't make broad generalizations, not even a generalization like "AMD has good price:performance", because changes all the time. Sometimes AMD has the best price:performance in a certain price range, and sometimes Nvidia has it in the same price range.

Aside from GTA V, nothing on the PC side is really capturing my attention that my old 560 Ti can't handle. If an R9 380x is this good and a good price, I'd snag. I would 970, but literally nothing is making me go "I NEED A NEW GRAPHICS CARD TO PLAY THAT RIGHT NOW." All we're getting is Ubisoft cocking things up.

I will believe it when luke shows me the numbers, not some shady graph from a site I've never heard of.

Its an asian site,do you browse asian language sites on tech everyday? of course you would have never heard of it.

Its like how I know of an asian version of youtube, yet there aren't any english viewers on it.

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

google: number of people with amd gpu

Google: number of people with nvidia gpu

divide properly, boom: statistics!

Also, you aren't taking in account stuff as "driver problem". What problem is it? is it a problem due to your config? Is it really a problem about the driver set?

For example, i stated stuff as broken video support in the driver itself, specially for laptops; few screens not working with native resolution for some fcked up reason.... Or CF not working for alot of big titles out there or even scaling in a negative way (guru3d forums).

Please, don't be a sheep trying to prove stuff like you just did. That is meaningless.

lol its hillarious to read some comments here.

Nvidia drivers are nothing better then AMD drivers.

They both have theire issues.

just stop this garbage ;)

Or CF not working for alot of big titles out there or even scaling in a negative way (guru3d forums).

HardOCP shows the opposite of what you claim with 290x xfire being on par with SLI 980's, yet obviously a single 980 outperforms a single 290x. Frame times are also superior with XDMA xfire over SLI as well. These guys, FWIW, were one of the first to slam AMD for their horrific xfire stuttering/FCAT frame times of yesteryear. I personally think their benchmarks are some of the most relevant because they clearly explain how/why they come to a certain conclusion and provide excellent graphs and charts each step of the way. They actually play the games and thoughtfully describe the user experience for each change in title/graphical setting.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/10/27/nvidia_geforce_gtx_980_sli_4k_video_card_review/11

One game however, Civ BE, uses a new (but actually really old) split frame rendering technique as opposed to alternate frame rendering (when using Mantle and xfire). This does scale poorly like you are saying, but can cut input latency in half and allows for incredibly high minimum FPS and rock solid frame times compared to dx11 xfire.

Sorry your customers don't buy AMD hardware, but your recent posts in this thread make it seem like you don't even want them to. You come off as being very passionate about AMD only offering inferior products (at least for the time being). If I walked into your store as an uninformed customer looking for a new video card and you told me all the stuff you've been preaching in this thread, why would I even consider AMD?

HardOCP shows the opposite of what you claim with 290x xfire being on par with SLI 980's, yet obviously a single 980 outperforms a single 290x. Frame times are also superior with XDMA xfire over SLI as well. These guys, FWIW, were one of the first to slam AMD for their horrific xfire stuttering/FCAT frame times of yesteryear. I personally think their benchmarks are some of the most relevant because they clearly explain how/why they come to a certain conclusion and provide excellent graphs and charts each step of the way. They actually play the games and thoughtfully describe the user experience for each change in title/graphical setting.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/10/27/nvidia_geforce_gtx_980_sli_4k_video_card_review/11

One game however, Civ BE, uses a new (but actually really old) split frame rendering technique as opposed to alternate frame rendering (when using Mantle and xfire). This does scale poorly like you are saying, but can cut input latency in half and allows for incredibly high minimum FPS and rock solid frame times compared to dx11 xfire.

Sorry your customers don't buy AMD hardware, but your recent posts in this thread make it seem like you don't even want them to. You come off as being very passionate about AMD only offering inferior products (at least for the time being). If I walked into your store as an uninformed customer looking for a new video card and you told me all the stuff you've been preaching in this thread, why would I even consider AMD?

this is the thread i'm refering to considering the CF: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=393783

Why i take is as "legit" is because it is watched and answered by AMD personnel, saying that they are aware of the issues. 

Also, stop looking at ONE  group using ONE config and posting the results. I mentioned that AMD hardware isn't by any means bad. It's the software side of things causing the problems. When you look at the bigger picture, consumers have over 9k dif types of confis, with rams, chips, whatever options turned on and off. You can't look at one config, see it work and say that they work well. 

As another example, some people fixed their stutter issues simply by changing windows timers (turning on or off the HPET would fix it).

And im just talking about what i read from what i consider legitimate and what i get from personal exp.  Also, and to end my participation in this topic, i run a 280x and i have just one minor issue: if i run google chrome with "hardware accel" on and jump into a fullscreen game, the clocks will lock at 870MHz and not 1020MHz. I have to turn off that option on google chrome. AMD has good hardware. They just need a better software team to keep up with it.

One reason I posted chiphell leak was their track record in the past, they were fairly accurate with Tahiti, Volcanic Islands and GM 204 numbers.

In the OP, I asked to look at this with a grain of salt, same applies here:

10557126_1503835436558355_29520024446782

Taken from here: http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/43305893#43305893

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

And same here, there was not any problem so far for me with drivers, and SLI/CF does not scale well at many games, as it takes optimizing to make them work

Edit: do not type while you are speaking to your teacher. just do not

What happened? Were you answering a question about shakespeare and you said something about SLI?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

What happened? Were you answering a question about shakespeare and you said something about SLI?

In his early days, Shakespeare enjoyed massive success with his productions. So much so that he decided to upgrade to GTX 980 SLI right before the Macbeth production, to which the King (and/or Queen, my British history is rough :P lol) would be in personal attendance.

..... Seems legit :P

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Not really (sadly)

I he was asking questions regarding heat dissipation, and while i was looking at him i was typing, and i might or might not worded the sentences right :/

Remember when the 290 launched? It was faster than the GTX 780, at $300 cheaper, which forced NVIDIA to reduce prices. I can still recomend the 290, as it is at $250. The 970 is a full $100 more expensive, with not much more perf.

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-Corp-290-GAMING/dp/B00HPS4AFG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417131372&sr=8-1&keywords=r9+290

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeForce-Graphics-GV-N970G1-GAMING-4GD/dp/B00NH5T1MS/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1417131489&sr=1-5&keywords=970

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

One reason I posted chiphell leak was their track record in the past, they were fairly accurate with Tahiti, Volcanic Islands and GM 204 numbers.

In the OP, I asked to look at this with a grain of salt, same applies here:

10557126_1503835436558355_29520024446782

Taken from here: http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/43305893#43305893

That would be 390X. If the 390X performs that poorly with a node advantage, it would look really bad.