Theoretical builds for a Public Library

Hey there,

I'm in the process of writing a proposal for an implementation of a network for a public library in my area...

I'd like to ask for suggestions on what hardware to suggest for them... The main factors to consider are that the computers will be serving for a decade or so, that the budget is minimal, and that these computers will be for public use..

Purpose: General office work, web browsing, media consumption. No gaming.

Budget: As low as possible.

Other considerations: 10-year expected lifespan, public use, include peripherals. 18" Monitor preferred.

I need 2 builds for this. One for the clients, and another for the librarians...

Fire away.

Thanks in advance,

Hermit

PS. Can you also suggest a good 16-port Ethernet Switch and a Wi-Fi Access Point?

You could probably easily get away with a locked i5, or maybe a pentium g3258.

Sadly I am not at home right now, so I don't have access to my buttloads of bookmarks for good networking devices to suggest to people...

For a wifi access point, there are some good ones from asus that you could take a look at.

And for a switch, Netgear is a pretty decent brand, same for TP-Link.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

i3 with hyperthreading for librarians, g3258 for the normal PCs.

only use integrated graphics.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You could probably easily get away with a locked i5, or maybe a pentium g3258.

locked i5... hmm... (I'll try and see how much influence the library has over the mayor...)

i3-4150 with 4GB of 1333 ram and a H81 board should really be enough for the core parts. Any generic case with an 80+ PSU as well as a 250GB/500GB HDD could be considered. Anything else would really be for you to decide. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

i3-4150 with 4GB of 1333 ram and a H81 board should really be enough for the core parts. Anything else would really be for you to decide.

4GB? It might be fine now, but in 5 years?

4GB? It might be fine now, but in 5 years?

Well for the tasks that you stated in your OP, 4GB would be fine for 3-5 years. However, if you want to bump it up to 8GB, go for it.  

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

This or something similar

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($27.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($34.64 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $252.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-25 10:40 EST-0500

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

This or something similar

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $252.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-25 10:40 EST-0500

Actually looking at that now, the 1TB WD Blue (WD10EZEX) is just a bit more. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

My old computer has an athlon x4, integrated graphics, and 3gb of ddr2 ram and can run any of the described activities above.  You really don't need much for this kind of a build.  Office work and what not will not become anymore intensive in the next 4-5 years unless they decide that CAD is office work.

you thought about building a load of dumy machines and having them networked to a small server server?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU/Motherboard: ECS BAT-I W/ Embedded Celeron J1900 ($56.98)

Memory: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB laptop ram ($58.99)

Storage: Toshiba  500GB 2.5" 5400RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Inwin BP655.FH300TB3 Mini ITX Tower Case w/200W Power Supply  ($57.91 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($13.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $245.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-25 10:45 EST-0500

Everything you'd ever need for that situation.

And yes, that is a quad core celery, 8 gigs of ram, and a hybrid drive.

Actually looking at that now, the 1TB WD Blue (WD10EZEX) is just a bit more. 

He from the Philippines not US ;)

But if the difference is small, the 1TB is the one to go with

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

He from the Philippines not US ;)

But if the difference is small, the 1TB is the one to go with

It looks to be ~$7 more. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

When it comes to switches, I've had a good experience with Netgear. The FS116 (10/100) is around 60$, the GS116 (10/100/1000) is around 100$. Both have 16 ports and a metal case. Unfortunately both come with a external power supply.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

My university's library uses locked i5 processors, 8gb RAM, integrated graphics. But across the various libraries and buildings they own, plus those provided to staff I'd assume they have over 1000 of them, so got them on the cheap.

I'd actually go a low end NUC route -  something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1813869

And a monitor such as:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824276025

Then just mount the PC onto the back of the monitor. It has a few advantages - saves desk space, noise (this is a library), if there's a failure you can RMA the unit cheaply (cheap to ship) and the whole system has a good warranty. Whether you want a beffier CPU is up to you, but a Celeron for word processing and web pages will be sufficient, and an SSD will mean it won't wear badly over time, plus applications such as MS Office will be snappy and quick loading.

you thought about building a load of dumy machines and having them networked to a small server server?

Thin-client setup? Might not work since by EOL, these machines might end up in public elementary schools... Also, it would be hard to justify the additional cost of getting server-grade hardware for this application (especially because the administration is almost tech-illiterate)...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU/Motherboard: ECS BAT-I W/ Embedded Celeron J1900 ($56.98)

Memory: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB laptop ram ($58.99)

Storage: Toshiba  500GB 2.5" 5400RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  ($57.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Inwin BP655.FH300TB3 Mini ITX Tower Case w/200W Power Supply  ($57.91 @ Amazon)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($13.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $245.86

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-25 10:45 EST-0500

Looks good from here... That PSU should last the first six years if my estimates are correct...

Looks good... I can cut costs by reducing the HDD to a smaller one or replacing it with a small SSD...

So here's how the user build currently looks:

CPU: Intel G3250

Mobo: Compatible H81 mATX

RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: 500GB/64GB SSD (60GB Kingston SSDNow?)

PSU: Antec EarthWatts 380W or Generic 400W

Case: Generic mATX Case

Monitor: 18" Samsung TN Panel

Keyboard and Mouse: A4Tech Package

Headset: ? (Maybe something from A4Tech or CDR-King)

Edit: Forgot to note that There would be 15 units maximum so bulk order discounts might not apply...

Total: $208.60

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-25 10:58 EST-0500

How many computers will be needed? If it's anything larger than 20 then I would go with a prebuilt HP/Dell/... Those manufacturers can provide you with a proper support plan. Doing the maintenance for a larger amount of computers is a pain in the arse, if you have all the responsibility. I would put the responsibility for service on the support of a larger company.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

For some reason, I feel like it would be easier to convince them with a quad core than a dual core.

For some reason, I feel like it would be easier to convince them with a quad core than a dual core.

Can you suggest a build? I might be able to justify the i5s for the librarians (library marketing includes video production and photo editing), but the user builds would be problematic...

How many computers will be needed? If it's anything larger than 20 then I would go with a prebuilt HP/Dell/... Those manufacturers can provide you with a proper support plan. Doing the maintenance for a larger amount of computers is a pain in the arse, if you have all the responsibility. I would put the responsibility for service on the support of a larger company.

This is still theoretical... Current statistics indicate that around 8 units can fill the demand, but I'd like to prepare for an increase in foot traffic...

Can you suggest a build? I might be able to justify the i5s for the librarians (library marketing includes video production and photo editing), but the user builds would be problematic...

This is still theoretical... Current statistics indicate that around 8 units can fill the demand, but I'd like to prepare for an increase in foot traffic...

Celeron J1900 is a quad core. I know it's equal or less to the rest of the builds, but it would be much easier to convince them to get, thanks to everyone buying into the more cores = better marketing, and besides, power consumption is less, runs cooler, and is pretty close in performance in the first place/