Do you think it is possible to Optimize PC configurations to the same extent as consoles

kuddlesworth9419

I would think that it is possible however it would cost too much. The main question is what kind of performance do you think we could get if PC configurations where optimized to the same extent as the last generation consoles. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I dont think we will be seeing full optimization on pc as it would cost alot and so many brand,model.Currently there are optimization for specific brand only.

It could be possible if they made a machine that was universal ie a console, but in pc format. That would ruin all the benifits of pc gaming and finding the best parts or making a cheap rig.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

I heard that Nvidia had a SuperComputer that could replicate any piece of hardware configuration so wouldn't that make it significantly cheaper to optimize.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I heard that Nvidia had a SuperComputer that could replicate any piece of hardware configuration so wouldn't that make it significantly cheaper to optimize.

I too heard about that, and it would still be very expensive and time consuming because it has to be operated manually, also they can't just optimize the game without the dev making some changes on their end, Nvidia released a statement on the topic of Tomb Raider's poor performance on Nvidia cards''We are aware of performance and stability issues with GeForce GPUs running Tomb Raider with maximum settings.said Andrew Burnes, games and technology editor at GeForce.com ''Unfortunately, NVIDIA didn’t receive final game code until this past weekend which substantially decreased stability, image quality and performance over a build we were previously provided.”

''Crystal Dynamics will need to make code changes on their end to fix the issues on GeForce GPUs as well''

EDIT: Sorry forgot to post the source ;p http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/07/nvidia-apologizes-for-poor-geforce-performance-in-tomb-raider

What do you think would happen if Nvidia, AMD and Intel teemed all up together to fight the console market. I know that it would never happen but still it would be a completely one sided war where the PC would win hands down.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

IMO it really depends on what do they intend to do, are they going to create a console? or a PC? If it was a PC, I'd say there's no need since if they all teamed up most likely they would make it standardized which of course you don't want a pc to become a console. If they make a console then we're talking, then they will kick the sh!* out of Sony and MS, especially if they make it work with PC games, have steam in there and boy you got yourself a way to print money. That is if it wasn't too expensive and was priced to compete with current and next gen (PS4, XBOX 1) consoles.

What do you think would happen if Nvidia, AMD and Intel teemed all up together to fight the console market. I know that it would never happen but still it would be a completely one sided war where the PC would win hands down.

Not going to happen because AMD is staying afloat by the next generation consoles. however if such a thing would exist it wouldn't matter because the money just isn't there sadly. We can dream though :)

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

See when there were the rumors that valve was working on a steam box to compete with the consoles I was really excited. That has since hushed for the most part but that doesn't mean that it can't happen. I would love to see a great platform that allows developers to specifically code for while retaining the openness of the PC platform. But having said that I will say that a couple days after the xbox1 announcement there was a pcperspective.com podcast in which a segment was talking about the new arcitecture of the xbox1 and something that interested me was the fact that the new Xbox has to split it's cpu/gpu/ram resources between 3 virtual machines. It does this by using something called a hypervisor which splits the resources. Now what is truly interesting is the fact that in by using this system it means that less resources are available to the game developers due to the split, therefore the specs that are lesser in comparison to the PS4 are even further cut down. I guess the chain of command goes OS-Hypervisor-VM-Application as opposed to the previous gen OS-application. This means that the Xbox1 developers won't be able to optimise the games as well for the hardware due to the fact there are so many layers to go through to get to the game. Therefore the hardware 'direct to metal' access is GREATLY diminished  compared to the last generation consoles. How does this pan out? I don't know, only time will tell. 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

It is never going to be a tightly optimized as a console mainly because they are manufactured for the pacific purpose of running games.

PC gaming is as optimized as its going to get, it does pretty well considering all the variations in parts that are available, Driver optimization is still needed, you only have to look at crossfire performance, and SLI scaling, if they could get the scaling up to 90-100% it would be a big step forward for PC gaming.

Either way if you have a 2500k and a 660/7870 upwards you pretty much have a more powerful machine than the Xboner and ps4, and will get a better experience on your PC for the next few years anyway, as all console ports in theory should run and look better on PC.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Xboner

A hahaha! You said boner.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

i think not, i mean it would take longer for developers to make that kind of optimization. if that happens you would see a 660ti playing games at 60 fps for the next 5 years.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll