So how many PC gamers really...?

I am surprised by the article. I don't have the time to dig up statistics, but I think the number of desktops has severely gone down, and while there are gaming grade laptops out there, I wonder if anyone who truly loves games would go for those over new generation consoles or desktops. 

I recently went with a GTX 970 upgrade to my 4 year old quad-core PC but there is no one, and I mean no one in my age-range (25-35) who I know plays hardcore video games, let alone play on PC. Maybe all the video game playing resulted into me not having many friends :P But there are people who I know at least have consoles, even Wii. I remember the PC gaming market around the globe before Steam, Origin, UPlay was based on one thing - piracy. This statement from the article can be accounted to just that - "It’s far easier for a PC gamer to amass a large collection of titles, for a a lot less money than console games."

Anyway, I absolutely love PC gaming, but you can't deny that the whole ordeal is more expensive, cumbersome, and challenging. Just think of all the struggles and fiddling we have to do to make that one game run smooth. I just put down 400 dollars for the graphic card upgrade (after just 4 years) to run COD AW smoothly! I have been using my PS3 for almost 6 years and found myself playing on it more frequently. PC is premium, no doubt. But it is just more work. Console makers must be making far more money just on this one vantage point - ease of usability. Pop the Blu ray or DVD in, switch on the huge screen TV (not sure how many desktop users enjoy this benefit), pick up the controller, and GO! 

More importantly, the entire gaming industry including PC grew BECAUSE of consoles. We did not see gigantic posters of a game launch when consoles were very new. Now-a-days it is almost like a big budget Hollywood movie launch. I won't be surprised if they start hiring theaters for a 30 minute premier of a game all over town soon. 

A lot of it should be attributed to the age range too. I am sure there's always going to be a PC user base. It also includes the more dedicated game players (a.k.a. people with way too much time on their hands, ouch!), but if you have 20 - 30 minutes to play once in a while, I am not touching that PC.

Extremely well said. I may be getting off topic but you are right when it's odd that we all chose PC when console gaming is a lot more easier. But with a PC your not just getting a gaming machine, your getting something that can browse the web, edit videos, upload videos, artsy things, type a report, talk to friends and family, multitask, etc. It's also more rewarding especially when you build one yourself. But I've experienced the statistics first hand in some way. I used to game on an A10 with 7660g graphics something. All my friends were on a laptop as well. Even now 2 of my friends still have a CRAP PC. One with a 4000series Radeon card something and the other will an intel core duo with Intel had graphics.

Extremely well said. I may be getting off topic but you are right when it's odd that we all chose PC when console gaming is a lot more easier. But with a PC your not just getting a gaming machine, your getting something that can browse the web, edit videos, upload videos, artsy things, type a report, talk to friends and family, multitask, etc. It's also more rewarding especially when you build one yourself. But I've experienced the statistics first hand in some way. I used to game on an A10 with 7660g graphics something. All my friends were on a laptop as well. Even now 2 of my friends still have a CRAP PC. One with a 4000series Radeon card something and the other will an intel core duo with Intel had graphics.

Exactly why people gave up on hard core gaming able PC platform and moved to laptops, net books, and then tablets or smartphones, because those other utilities are more favored over hard core gaming by almost the entire population. And they also have nice games on them, in addition to mobility and portability! Who then cares about hard core gaming on PC? That number must be very small in percentage, not saying it is insignificant statistically. 

Oh and by the way, the crap PC will still hold up just fine for most of those non-gaming activities you listed, except of course if you're designing animation for Tintin. If achievement from doing something virtual on the screen and scoring virtual cash, points, etc. is the basis of why most people played video games, they logically find the satisfaction playing on mobile devices as well.

PC will never die, but from a consumer front end standpoint, it is already on life support talking strictly from a gaming standpoint.   

Exactly why people gave up on hard core gaming able PC platform and moved to laptops, net books, and then tablets or smartphones, because those other utilities are more favored over hard core gaming by almost the entire population. And they also have nice games on them, in addition to mobility and portability! Who then cares about hard core gaming on PC? That number must be very small in percentage, not saying it is insignificant statistically. 

Oh and by the way, the crap PC will still hold up just fine for most of those non-gaming activities you listed, except of course if you're designing animation for Tintin. If achievement from doing something virtual on the screen and scoring virtual cash, points, etc. is the basis of why most people played video games, they logically find the satisfaction playing on mobile devices as well.

PC will never die, but from a consumer front end standpoint, it is already on life support talking strictly from a gaming standpoint.

Yeah, one more thing to add. I think I am literally the ONLY person in my entire school that owns a high end gaming PC. There is then only like 3 other kids who own something even close to mine. And the sad part is, it's because I have way to much free time and my build wasn't exactly cheap either. But I'm afraid console gaming will always be more popular because it's easier. But luckily the majority of my friends play on high end PCs, in fact they convinced me to switch. So their will always be a place for PC gaming.