Project "All Out" - FX 6300/GTX 760 - REVISION 2.0 - Inspired by the Inwin D Frame

byalexandr

ALSO! A general update:

I have been looking on NewEgg and Amazon among other sites to find the best new parts to put in. I have been changing my list a lot, and it is still open for change, but here is the current plan:

i5 4590. I won't be overclocking my CPU as my PSU is not very strong (it's OEM and TFX, a rare size) so I decided to just get a locked CPU for $200.

For the motherboard, I chose a H97M Plus from FoxConn. This was a hard decision, because I needed a motherboard with only a 4 pin CPU power connector, while still having great features like SATA III and USB 3.0.

Also 8GB of red DIMM/modules DDR3. I'll just get whatever is available and cheap at the time of purchase.

I was planning on an AM3+ CPU from AMD, and heavily considered the 8350, as I really like the eight cores. But, the motherboards for this socket are scarce in the mATX form factor, as well as very underpowered cores compared to the i5.

My goal in general was to spend around $300ish, and I sort of intend to keep it that way for the new CPU and motherboard/RAM. Other additions include a 32GB cache drive or a new SATA III HDD, as mine is 500GB of SATA II. Also a nice CPU cooler and maybe a light strip or two. Thanks for the views and comments everyone! More to come (but not for while). Cheers!

Looks pretty good if you like D-Frame looks (i dont actually ^^)

How much money did you spent on the whole case thingy? Cause the real d-frame is really overpriced imho.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Idk if this works, but if it doesn't hurt the components, you should try building a custom water cooling loop using the case as part of the tubing. Ask these crazy build are inspirational to me. Congrats and thank you.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Looks pretty good if you like D-Frame looks (i dont actually ^^)

How much money did you spent on the whole case thingy? Cause the real d-frame is really overpriced imho.

Let's see...

$25 for 100 ft of EMT. I only used around 20.

$10 for a roll of welding wire.

$15 for primer and paint cans.

Rubber bumpers were free (found them somewhere around the house).

Acrylic was also free, had it laying around.

$5 for zip ties.

So a total of around $50 for the case itself.

Idk if this works, but if it doesn't hurt the components, you should try building a custom water cooling loop using the case as part of the tubing. Ask these crazy build are inspirational to me. Congrats and thank you.

It most likely wont work. The welds have to completely waterproof and the case isn't one big tube, but little enclosed sections. Good idea though...

Well thanks! It's a big honor to have someone build a PC like mine...  :) . I guess I could give a few tips.

-First I would say that welding or burning galvanized metal is extremely dangerous. The EMT I used is galvanized, and I took proper precautions like a fans and working outside, even holding my breath until I can get some fresh air. Google 'zinc fume fever'. It'll give you some background on what it can do both short term and long term. In general, just try not to breath the stuff.

-When welding the motherboard tray, line it as PERFECTLY as possible so the mounts line up. My motherboard tray came out in two pieces, so this was quite difficult, and ended up making my screws not go in right.

-When painting, hang it up with some fencing wire, as this makes painting a lot easier. Also make sure to get EVERY angle, it won't look as nice is you have spots of primer showing.

-To plan out the bends and stuff, lay out your components on a [static free] table in the way you are going to put them in the new case, then take measurements. This eliminates most of the guesswork (although there is a LOT of guesswork).

Those are some of the main things I came across. If you start the build and have any questions, feel free to ask me, and sorry for taking a long time to reply. Busy with school and stuff...

Thanks for the reply!!! Currently working on the drawing stage getting everything set up with the measurements I got. My buddy and I are gonna use aluminum and weld it ourselves. (by ourselves I mean me buying him pizza as payment) He has welded it before and told me he would do it for some pizza. But thanks again for the reply hopefully I can get my metal ordered and get it going before to long here.

Thanks for the reply!!! Currently working on the drawing stage getting everything set up with the measurements I got. My buddy and I are gonna use aluminum and weld it ourselves. (by ourselves I mean me buying him pizza as payment) He has welded it before and told me he would do it for some pizza. But thanks again for the reply hopefully I can get my metal ordered and get it going before to long here.

Great! I'd expect it'd be a lot lighter with aluminum. Aluminum is tricky to weld, so I assume your friend knows AC TIG welding?

I quite like these sorts of open-air designs. Incredible job, OP.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

I quite like these sorts of open-air designs. Incredible job, OP.

Thanks man! 

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, it's been a while. I am starting a refresh of this build, so I wouldn't call it a new build, but more of revamp. The new case will use the same frame, but I will have the following changes (list updating):

-New motherboard tray. The chassis will be turned sideways compared to my profile picture to make it stand more like an actual D Frame. The new motherboard tray will be custom plasma cut (at my school) from 3/16" mild steel. I will make the design in CAD light, so you won't have to worry about the weight added.

-Much more expandability. It will now support up to three (or four if I can stuff another in) 3.5"/2.5" drives, and will have display shelves instead of laying flat against the motherboard tray. These will be made from stainless steel (20 gauge) sheet. This revamped chassis will also support much longer cards, pretty much anything one can imagine, while still being in the same size frame. Another addition is a standard size ATX PSU, allowing for many more options when it comes to power. It will also support a 120mm radiator (240mm if I only allow for shorter graphics cards, you guys can decide).

-Presentability. This chassis will look a lot nicer and I will put a lot of effort and time into the chassis during this revamp. When I first made the chassis, I didn't put any thought into it and now I see my limitations as I use the case. The new windows will be tinted acrylic, on both sides, mounted on the frame instead of ziptied to the bumpers.

New components going in:

FX 6300 (ordering soon)

AsRock 970M Pro3 (gets here tomorrow, a new board on the market)

16GB SK Hynix (4x4GB DDR3 1600, purchased)

ASUS GeForce GTX 760 DCUII OC 2GB (have it, friend gave it to me)

120GB SanDisk SSD Plus (ordering soon)

500GB Seagate Momentus 5400.6 2.5" HDD (have it)

500GB Hitachi Deskstar 3.5" HDD

EVGA 400W PSU (getting here tomorrow, gets the job done for now)

Stay tuned guys! I will be posting updates as I get components and make progress on the build. I know it's been a while and my specs aren't that impressive, but it'll be worth it! Drop me any questions you might have, I'll get to them as soon as I can. Thanks in advance! Also a side note: Progress will be slower as I am still in school during the day, but updates will come nonetheless.

Current status of the build:

post-2597-0-02415600-1430361231.jpg

This is the card going in. Will be replacing my 750 Ti, haven't even touched yet because my current PSU doens't have an 8 pin PCI-E connector.

post-2597-0-91533100-1430361301.jpg

Memory going in.

post-2597-0-54235700-1430361319.jpg

Parts currently scattered across my desk.

post-2597-0-58053400-1430361343.jpg

The chassis in question...

Updates coming soon!

-snip-

The chassis in question...

Updates coming soon!

I remember this thing! Twas epic. Can't wait to see what you're gonna do with it now.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

I remember this thing! Twas epic. Can't wait to see what you're gonna do with it now.

Thanks! Stay tuned, there's an update coming later today...

Update time!

Got a new board today :) It's an AsRock 970M Pro3. One thing I have to say about this board is that it is SEXY. I love the color of the board.

Pics:

post-2597-0-07753200-1430430812.jpg

With the memory loaded in:

post-2597-0-10714500-1430430829.jpg

Also a new power supply! It's an EVGA 400W PSU. Gets the job done and looks sexy and black as well. :)

post-2597-0-89447700-1430430872.jpg

Shots outside:

post-2597-0-56197400-1430430892.jpg

Here is how everything is now. Swapped out the 750 Ti (selling it for $100), plugged in fans and stuff. Still can't use the new board, I have to get my FX 6300, which should be ordered by this weekend.

post-2597-0-63371500-1430431047.jpg

Also got the new backplate cut at school today. It's made from 3/16" mild steel, still of lot of finishing to do to it, as I only had it cut today. Weighs about 3-4 pounds, not that much. This is how it will be situated in the chassis. The old tray will be removed.

post-2597-0-63198800-1430431116.jpg

Tray by itself.

post-2597-0-38233400-1430431164.jpg

So, to do:

Buy FX 6300.

Strip old tray out and old crossmembers in the chassis.

Weld in new crossmembers in their new places.

Mount the new tray.

Make a PSU mount.

Make a front I/O panel w/ power and USB.

Get acrylic for side panels.

More to come guys! Stay tuned!

I really like this. Mostly because you didn't spend $4000 on having some plastic printed.

Tell you what dude you really need to braid that PSU in red to do it justice. Will look really nice.

This is one of the best budget builds I've ever seen. I really mean that too. It looks every bit as good as the real thing and cost practically nothing. That I like !

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

I really like this. Mostly because you didn't spend $4000 on having some plastic printed.

Tell you what dude you really need to braid that PSU in red to do it justice. Will look really nice.

This is one of the best budget builds I've ever seen. I really mean that too. It looks every bit as good as the real thing and cost practically nothing. That I like !

Thanks, man. That really means a lot. I'm tight on money, but I still like to have a good PC. I will see what I can do about the sleeving, I might even get some extensions because I found out the cables are really short.

Update time! [Re]construction has begun!

More progress was made on the case today. So far I have stripped out the old tray and gorund down the previous welds that held it in place, and I cleaned up the new tray and galvanized it to prevent it from rusting. Pics:

post-2597-0-28342800-1430439852.jpg

post-2597-0-09108300-1430439873.jpg

More to come! Next step is to cut out the cross members that get in the way of the I/O and the new PSU mount, then weld in new ones, as well as the cross members that will hold the acryllic side panels on. Thanks in advance!

Awesome job. It really shows what can be achieved on an EXTREMELY tight budget

Subbed, this will really benefit from a more modern build on the inside, just as you're doing now! ;)

Yeah, lol. I was really discouraged at continuing the build because everyone else has super expensive hardware, but here I am!

Yeah, lol. I was really discouraged at continuing the build because everyone else has super expensive hardware, but here I am!

Do not be discouraged. I think this build is sweet. I would never be able to something like that from scratch.

Keep it up :)

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

Sneak peek!

More coming tomorrow, hopefully I will have time to work on it.

Sections cut apart, and (some) new pieces cut.

post-2597-0-84106300-1430520473.jpg

Stay tuned!

Hey guys, sorry but I won't be posting an update today, or at least one with progress on the case/parts, as I caught a cold or something and I am not feeling too well. But nevertheless, stay tuned, as I will post progress whenever I can.

Hey guys, sorry but I won't be posting an update today, or at least one with progress on the case/parts, as I caught a cold or something and I am not feeling too well. But nevertheless, stay tuned, as I will post progress whenever I can.

GET BETTER NOW

I CRAVE UPDATES

srsly though dude, get well soon :)

BECAUSE I CRAVE UPDATES