Project "All Out" - FX 6300/GTX 760 - REVISION 2.0 - Inspired by the Inwin D Frame

byalexandr

GET BETTER NOW

I CRAVE UPDATES

srsly though dude, get well soon :)

BECAUSE I CRAVE UPDATES

Lol thanks. I will be back soon with an update.

Update! Still not feeling too well, but I decided to make some progress. And let me just say, man it is hard to type with a burn on my palm. So today I ground down the cuts and made fish-mouth joints to weld on those four pieces of electrical conduit, and I also cut off the cross members on the (now top) of the case, and grond thiose down to a smooth finish. Pics:

post-2597-0-14615100-1430679118.jpg

post-2597-0-93240900-1430679132.jpg

The joints are only tacked together, so I will go to school tomorrow with it and weld it up with an actual MIG, not flux core like I have at home. I will also strip the paint off at school because I don't have any paint stripper or acetone at home. More updates coming soon! Stay tuned!

Update! Still not feeling too well, but I decided to make some progress. And let me just say, man it is hard to type with a burn on my palm. So today I ground down the cuts and made fish-mouth joints to weld on those four pieces of electrical conduit, and I also cut off the cross members on the (now top) of the case, and grond thiose down to a smooth finish. Pics:

attachicon.gifWP_20150503_13_39_12_Pro.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20150503_13_44_11_Pro.jpg

The joints are only tacked together, so I will go to school tomorrow with it and weld it up with an actual MIG, not flux core like I have at home. I will also strip the paint off at school because I don't have any paint stripper or acetone at home. More updates coming soon! Stay tuned!

Also, for my new finish, should I go with a matte red or a glossy red like I have currently, except a higher quality paint?

Also, for my new finish, should I go with a matte red or a glossy red like I have currently, except a higher quality paint?

Go with matte red, I always like a good matte.

I'm just tuning in to this build and I have to say it looks great man.  Very nice work!

Go with matte red, I always like a good matte.

I'm just tuning in to this build and I have to say it looks great man.  Very nice work!

Thanks! I will even see how much it is to get it powder coated.

Hey guys, it's been a while. I haven't taken my chassis to school yet, as I was sick yesterday, and kind of forgot today. I will take it tomorrow and there will (hopefully) be an update. At school I'm going to finish off the new welds and cross members, and strip the paint off tof the chassis back down to bare galvanized metal. Stay tuned!

Update!

Paint stripped out of the chassis today. Well, mostly. I didn't have time for that last bit, but I did what I could. That paint stripper takes FOREVER to work it's magic.

Pics:

post-2597-0-50973200-1430955910.jpg

post-2597-0-88704900-1430955928.jpg

This brings back memories. Haven't seen the bare chassis in quite a while.

post-2597-0-79072100-1430955957.jpg

This is the paint I didn't have time to get off. I tried burning it off, but to no avail. I will probably just use wirebrush to get it off.

post-2597-0-76218100-1430956021.jpg

More updates to come! I am yet to order the FX 6300. :( I really wish I had the money, but it 'has not come' yet. Stay tuned! Thanks for the support!

Hey guys! Small (but still big :) ) update! I ordered my new FX 6300. That means my new hardware is going to be in working order, all I need now is an SSD and an aftermarket cooler, which are not necessary to get the system running, although would be a great addition. Goodbye 20 FPS! Stay tuned!

Another update. I did some measurements I should have done a while ago, and it turns out the case isn't wide enough (like I need an extra 1/4") to fit an ATX PSU. So to fix this, I would have to cut the case apart COMPLETELY, and cut new braces and make it wider. Or, I can just make a new case, as I have plenty of material to do so. Another option is to widen just that section of the frame somehow. What do you guys think I should do? Replies would really be helpful, as it seems no one is interested in this build anymore. :(

Another update. I did some measurements I should have done a while ago, and it turns out the case isn't wide enough (like I need an extra 1/4") to fit an ATX PSU. So to fix this, I would have to cut the case apart COMPLETELY, and cut new braces and make it wider. Or, I can just make a new case, as I have plenty of material to do so. Another option is to widen just that section of the frame somehow. What do you guys think I should do? Replies would really be helpful, as it seems no one is interested in this build anymore. :(

The thread got pushed down so not many new people got to see it, I just found it today. Sounds like it would be easier to make a new case altogether since you know how big it needs to me and you've got the spare materials. If you have to cut up the case to keep making adjustments it might end up not looking too great. Keep it up I want to see it finished.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

The thread got pushed down so not many new people got to see it, I just found it today. Sounds like it would be easier to make a new case altogether since you know how big it needs to me and you've got the spare materials. If you have to cut up the case to keep making adjustments it might end up not looking too great. Keep it up I want to see it finished.

That is exactly what I was thinking. I have already cut up the case enough and it seems that the new finish won't be as smooth as the old one due to all of the new grind marks and stuff. I will end up making a new case, I guess. The only thing I have to make work is the same new backplate I cut out. I already had two cut out and I'm pretty sure my welding instructor is going to start charging me for all of the sheet steel I am wasting. More to come!

Damn, was there a problem with planning or you misjudged something? 

Really unfortunate, but aren't there any small form factor power supplies that you could use to replace it?

Damn, was there a problem with planning or you misjudged something? 

Really unfortunate, but aren't there any small form factor power supplies that you could use to replace it?

I guess I misjudged it? Originally I planned for the PSU to sit inside the chassis, so it would never be partially outside the case, like the InWin D Frame. But with this new motherboard tray, I figured I could push the PSU out a bit in between the chassis, but it's too narrow. I don't have any other PSUs that have the wattage I need for this system, so I guess I will make another chassis. It's okay though, This one is going to be a LOT nicer.

Hey guys, after a bit of thinking, I am debating whether or not I should start a new case. This time I want it to feature it's construction out of polycarbonate, a very strong plastic (250x stronger than glass), but still have a tubular frame like the D-Frame. I am generating many concepts, as I am kind of shying away from this case. After all of this building, I realize that the structure is not the most accommodating type of chassis, and I want to make something new. Help me out with some ideas, I really like a kind of open air chassis that is like a frame, just something a bit different, since I am going to be making a new case anyways. I will post more updates as I come up with ideas.

Couple of ideas:

An In Win S-Frame, made of polycarbonate and reinforced (elegantly) with tubular steel.

The 'Gigabyte Essence' chassis, but bigger.

The In Win H-Frame Mini, but instead of having plates for the walls, they are made of tubular steel like my case walls.

I don't know, let me know what you guys think. Just brainstorming some ideas.

Couple of ideas:

An In Win S-Frame, made of polycarbonate and reinforced (elegantly) with tubular steel.

The 'Gigabyte Essence' chassis, but bigger.

The In Win H-Frame Mini, but instead of having plates for the walls, they are made of tubular steel like my case walls.

I don't know, let me know what you guys think. Just brainstorming some ideas.

I like the idea of the H-frame

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

I like the idea of the H-frame

I was actually thinking of making an S-Frame replica, just a bit smaller to accomodate an mATX motherboard, and make it out of a nice sheet of steel isntead of aluminum, as it would be a lot cheaper. I will post more designs later, I still need to draw some up. I think it will look very cool, and I will try to make it as accomodating for hardware as possible.

Okay! Update time? I have a new case design. This case will be like the In Win S Frame, but smaller to accommodate an mATX motherboard, and make it a bit more portable. I think I will make the frame out of 1/16" - 1/8" steel, depends on what I find. Here is a basic sketch I drew up on some notebook paper, sorry if it's hard to tell what's what. Just see whatever you can make of it, as I don't have the skills yet to model something this complex in AutoCAD. Pic:

post-2597-0-64567500-1431137357.jpg

Sorry if it's sideways, I don't know why my phone does that. Let me know what you think. I really like it, and I think I can make it turn out pretty nice.

Well guys, update time.

I've given up. I can't finish this case, because it takes too long, and I can't start a new one because I just don't have the funds anymore, and I need this finished. I tried starting a new case based on the S Frame with a polycarbonate piece instead of an aluminum one, but it is much too flimsy. I guess there's just one thing left to say: Help me find a case...

I want something pretty compact, and portable so I can take it with me. It has to be micro ATX, as that is the board I have, and I would really like something aluminum, but not too boxy and unoriginal. Red LED and a red theme is also a must. Also, the price needs to be under $70.

I'm sorry if I let you all down, but I just can't deal with this anymore. Thanks guys.

EDIT: Also, if anyone wants to trade an EVGA 750 Ti 2GB for a case, PM me. Thanks again.

Bitfenix Prodigy Micro Atx in red.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=100456&vpn=BFC-PRM-300-RRXKK-RP&manufacture=BitFenix

not boxy, it comes in red, its micro ATX, but its $109.99.

Nice case mod, too bad you have to give up.

I think I am going to go for a Cooler Master N200. I know I said a not-boxy case, but I really think the case can look nice and clean with a few mods. Plus, for $50, you can't really beat it. Thanks, though. I will try to make a new build log when I order the case.

Dude it was looking amazing though! But I understand the whole funds thing... Have had to postpone a few projects lately for the same reason. 

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

Dude it was looking amazing though! But I understand the whole funds thing... Have had to postpone a few projects lately for the same reason. 

Yeah, that and I didn't have time to finish it, as I wanted it done in a couple weeks to take with me to school on finals week, so I thought it would be easier just to buy a case.

Yeah, that and I didn't have time to finish it, as I wanted it done in a couple weeks to take with me to school on finals week, so I thought it would be easier just to buy a case.

Will you finish when you have funding?

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Will you finish when you have funding?

It's not really that I don't have the funding, it's that I don't have easy access to the supplies needed. But when I do have the funding, well, let's just say I'm going to do something a lot bigger than this.