860K vs G3258

G3258

860K Kinda hot.

With either one it will be cooled by a 212 Evo.

"Rawr XD"

Since you don't want to upgrade in the future, get the 860k.

That said, if you can somehow squeeze an i3, that is the vastly superior option.

I'll see what I can do. Thanks

"Rawr XD"

I know for a fact that the 860K at the same clock speeds is much faster then the G3258 if you use all four cores. 

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Forgot to mention, don't care about being able to upgrade. The PC will be used for gaming for at most two years, or whenever Skylake is released.

then the g3258 might be worth to take a look at, you could upgrade to broadwell rather than skylake.

otherwise get the 860k.

I'll see what I can do. Thanks

If you haven't already bought the 212 EVO, just use that momey towards an i3. If you already have the EVO.. I still think its worth saving for an i3 to get better day one performance and longevity out of the computer. If saving is out of the question, 860k is the better out of the options presented.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

And? 

The 860K is only at 4.4GHz in that video, yet it manages to keep up with the 4.7GHz G3258 in benchmarks like Cinebench, Handbrake, and FireStrike that use 4 cores.

"Rawr XD"

If you haven't already bought the 212 EVO, just use that momey towards an i3. If you already have the EVO.. I still think its worth saving for an i3 to get better day one performance and longevity out of the computer. If saving is out of the question, 860k is the better out of the options presented.

this

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

And? 

The 860K is only at 4.4GHz in that video, yet it manages to keep up with the 4.7GHz G3258 in benchmarks like Cinebench, Handbrake, and FireStrike that use 4 cores.

but is still slower 

Yeah I already have the EVO. It's being pulled from one of my current rigs because I think it's pretty silly to have it on a Core 2 Duo.

"Rawr XD"

but is still slower 

I know for a fact that the 860K at the same clock speeds is much faster then the G3258 if you use all four cores. 

Not 4.4 vs 4.7.

"Rawr XD"

Not 4.4 vs 4.7.

but you normally cant overclock as high as pentium

then the g3258 might be worth to take a look at, you could upgrade to broadwell rather than skylake.

otherwise get the 860k.

Well the new PC will be having an unlocked i5 or i7 depending on what calls for it later on as we get closer to the point where we start deciding parts for it. However if we were to get Broadwell, it would also require a Z97 board now, which would add a lot more cost to the build today.

"Rawr XD"

but you normally cant overclock as high as pentium

I want to keep it at stock voltage for him for reliability and heat reasons. And on the MSI H81M-P33, most people are only able to get to around 4.2 at stock voltage. I'm going to put either one at them at 4GHz flat, like I said in the OP.

"Rawr XD"

I want to keep it at stock voltage for him for reliability and heat reasons. And on the MSI H81M-P33, most people are only able to get to around 4.2 at stock voltage. I'm going to put either one at them at 4GHz flat, like I said in the OP.

under 212 evo which is what austin used you can get a high overclock and if it is under 1.34v it will not have any degradation you could probably hit 4.5-4.7 with those volts

under 212 evo which is what austin used you can get a high overclock and if it is under 1.34v it will not have any degradation you could probably hit 4.5-4.7 with those volts

I already know that regardless of cooler I can get 4.5 on the H81M-P33 at 1.3V, but 4GHz is already quite a bit of an OC from the stock 3.2.

"Rawr XD"

I already know that regardless of cooler I can get 4.5 on the H81M-P33 at 1.3V, but 4GHz is already quite a bit of an OC from the stock 3.2.

so why not 4.5 also not regardless mobo almost doesnt matter any more and you an get a pentium that goes to 4.7 at stock or one that goes to 4.3 dame with the athlon

amd has no upgrade path 

thus z97/pentium

people don't understand just how slow amd chips are when you are barely "good enough" your product ages much quicker and be comes obsolete that much faster 

if I buy a 8320 today in 4 years it will be worthless 

if I buy a i7 4690k in 4 years it will still pull its weight 

intel platforms tend to age much better then AMD because intel is further ahead in the curve

people still run i7 950's without a issue the equivalent amd of that era would be the phenom II 980BE and its fucking worthless now 

amd has no upgrade path 

thus z97/pentium

people don't understand just how slow amd chips are when you are barely "good enough" your product ages much quicker and be comes obsolete that much faster 

Again, I said upgrade path is not an issue.

"Rawr XD"

Again, I said upgrade path is not an issue.

upgrade path is always a issue regardless of weather or not you intend on doing any 

software has a lot of catching up todo with the hardware especially on the cpu side 

upgrade path is always a issue regardless of weather or not you intend on doing any 

software has a lot of catching up todo with the hardware especially on the cpu side 

Like? I bought an AM3+ board with my Phenom II to have an "upgrade path" and although I could throw an 8350 in there right now, but the FX8 actually has worse single-threaded performance then the Phenom II.

My Pentium D system still functions perfectly fine as an HTPC, which is what this PC will be come after it's replaced, so no, upgrade path is not an issue.

"Rawr XD"

Like? I bought an AM3+ board with my Phenom II to have an "upgrade path" and although I could throw an 8350 in there right now, but the FX8 actually has worse single-threaded performance then the Phenom II.

My Pentium D system still functions perfectly fine as an HTPC, which is what this PC will be come after it's replaced, so no, upgrade path is not an issue.

yes but AMD is worthless on the "upgrade" front they always have been

if you buy a z97/pentium board today you can upgrade to a broadwell chip and have a sizable performance boost/reduction in power consumption later if you please

you buy a AM3+ or FM2+ you are stuck with the current gen forever 

intels quicksync decoding is actually better then AMD's implementation of DXVA

yes but AMD is worthless on the "upgrade" front they always have been

if you buy a z97/pentium board today you can upgrade to a broadwell chip and have a sizable performance boost/reduction in power consumption later if you please

you buy a AM3+ or FM2+ you are stuck with the current gen forever 

intels quicksync decoding is actually better then AMD's implementation of DXVA

But the point is, there won't need to be a CPU upgrade for this rig as it's meant to be a crap rig that will go to HTPC use later on. The other parts in it are sub-par as well.

In a year or so, a whole new rig will be built from the ground up with much better parts and performance, and a Broadwell/Skylake CPU included.

"Rawr XD"

I'd say 860X for gaming in general... (but try to get an A8 APU... Just in case you want to pull out the graphics card...)

My reasons:

• It's a quad core... You'll need the additional threads...
  • FM2+ Platform... (Although you said that upgrades are not a factor) APUs have pretty decent iGPUs...
  • Cheaper mobos... You can easily get it to 4GHz on a non-overclocking board...

But the point is, there won't need to be a CPU upgrade for this rig as it's meant to be a crap rig that will go to HTPC use later on. The other parts in it are sub-par as well.

In a year or so, a whole new rig will be built from the ground up with much better parts and performance, and a Broadwell/Skylake CPU included.

listen to the op

because the intel setup is the same price as the AMD a proc/board combo is going to to run you 160.00 no matter what you chose

and intel is better there is no two ways about it thats the bottom line the intel chipset offered more functionality more features less power consumption and better upgrade-ability 

the trade off is you have two less "cores" but intels cores are faster and use less power its a HTPC and you don't need a quad core for that anyway what does matter is noise and power consumption..

and quicksync is more then capable of decoding/encoding whatever you need to 

and the resell value is higher to boot