Outernet. Will it work?

Biscuwit

It's not what you think it is. This does not give you access to the internet. This will just give you a bunch of popular sites that the majority of users want.

This is not a wifi hotpot connected to the net.

If you want real internet you need to buy a 3G or 4G USB adapter and pay an ISP to give you internet.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

should but if it does give you internet it will b almost unusable at ping 3,000

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

It's not what you think it is. This does not give you access to the internet. This will just give you a bunch of popular sites that the majority of users want.

If you want real internet you need to buy a 3G or 4G USB adapter and pay an ISP to give you internet.

what he said, I think the ad is really misleading

So it... what, a snapshot of some of the Internet, saves it offline, then transmits it to a satellite to be downloaded to these lanterns, which then connect via wi-fi?

I guess that's OK, but it's not exactly worldwide Internet coverage.

should but if it does give you internet it will b almost unusable at ping 3,000

Who cares about ping? The information is going entirely in one direction.

513920-20animated_gif20kushieda_minori20

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

It WILL give you internet access, its the same type of system they use in rural alaska, its just satnet. But it WILL have terrible ping, just donated $30. :)

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

I think this might have some pretty interesting uses, though it's pretty useless for people like us and the cost is too restrictive for the people who might want to use it.

If you pick one up and it works you'll quickly find that it doesn't have the things that you want. I may be mistaken but this is basically a network that's not linked to the internet in any way that allows (users? administrators?) to store some data on a server which would transmit it for free. If something like this could be deployed in areas where internet access is not a given, it could be useful. The video makes a good case for that, but I can think of many reasons for why it's probably not that simple.

It WILL give you internet access, its the same type of system they use in rural alaska, its just satnet. But it WILL have terrible ping, just donated $30.  :)

It won't, it gives you whatever's manually cached out of the internet. Like you can't post on a forum from it. You can't watch a video unless it was put on the closed network. You can't make a phone call, or even send an e-mail.

So it is download only meaning one way communication. As he said; it is the new age radio (paraphrasing). People can pick up information anywhere in the world but in a modern internet format. Seems pretty good tbh. They decide what information to broadcast but it seems you can select what info to download from the broadcast archive they will have.

PS. There is no ping as it is one way communication. Ping is the length of time for you to get a response after trying to communicate. We can't communicate so there is latency between sending and receiving. 

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

It WILL give you internet access, its the same type of system they use in rural alaska, its just satnet. But it WILL have terrible ping, just donated $30. :)

Will this make the rapsery pi and outernet device like Lantern?

Will this make the rapsery pi and outernet device like Lantern?

Theres a DIY kit you can buy from them.

Theres a DIY kit you can buy from them.

So why get the Lanternet for 99$ and not spend 30$ to get the same use but without solarpanels( which you can buy and make a solarpower rpi)?

So why get the Lanternet for 99$ and not spend 30$ to get the same use but without solarpanels( which you can buy and make a solarpower rpi)?

Because a small african village wont know how to do that?

It should but it's not really an actually access point to the real internet but rather an archive and like an alternate universe, as as it says further down it's an archived version of certain sites. (High traffic/popular sites and educational sites.)

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

No this is not the internet. You can't go onto any webpage you want, or play multiplayer online games, or go to a small website that you want to see. You cannot buy anything from stores and you cannot make your own website.

Scroll down and read the "How we decide what gets broadcast" part. There is a limited amount of content that is accessible over this device: what gets sponsored (a website pas to get their webpage broadcasted), what is important (disaster/news reports), and what the majority of people want (by most popular content)

All of this data is stored on their servers. There is no connection to the ethernet.

So basically it is like an offline internet archive that only has a limited amount of the internet.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

"hotpot" 10/10

Because a small african village wont know how to do that?

So if i want to access the internet someone that there is no wifi or access i can just use this or the rpi and get access.

But my connections wil be awful and timetaking right?

Also how will the poor counties get this since they dont have computers and phones?

No this is not the internet. You can't go onto any webpage you want, or play multiplayer online games, or go to a small website that you want to see. You cannot buy anything from stores and you cannot make your own website.

Scroll down and read the "How we decide what gets broadcast" part. There is a limited amount of content that is accessible over this device: what gets sponsored (a website pas to get their webpage broadcasted), what is important (disaster/news reports), and what the majority of people want (by most popular content)

All of this data is stored on their servers. There is no connection to the ethernet.

So basically it is like an offline internet archive that only has a limited amount of the internet.

But the alternative of rpi will have the same effect ?( what you have said above ) , which not everyhting is accessible?

Does Outernet ever plan to offer Internet service?

Some day we do intend to offer two-way Internet access; maybe sooner than we had previously thought. That being said, we believe there should always be a bare minimum of broadcast data, just like the advent of Netflix does not mean we should eliminate public television. A one-way data cast ensures anonymity - no one can track what you choose to keep and use from our broadcast. With Outernet, we are raising the bar for everyone and any additional services, like a two-way connection, would be additional value built on that elevated foundation.

So if i want to access the internet someone that there is no wifi or access i can just use this or the rpi and get access.

But my connections wil be awful and timetaking right?

Also how will the poor counties get this since they dont have computers and phones?

But the alternative of rpi will have the same effect ?( what you have said above ) , which not everyhting is accessible?

Raspberry Pi's bro.

with a raspberry pi you can actually pay for a 3G or 4G stick from an ISP that will give you the real internet with two way communication. Obviously the coverage area will be limited by your ISP but it is real internet, not an archive like this "outernet".

Spoiler

with a raspberry pi you can actually pay for a 3G or 4G stick from an ISP that will give you the real internet with two way communication. Obviously the coverage area will be limited by your ISP but it is real internet, not an archive like this "outernet".

Nice idea will be to make the outenet raspery pi an access point or a bridge and have other computers coonected to it :)

Can you do that ?

Nice project

Nice idea will be to make the outenet raspery pi an access point or a bridge and have other computers coonected to it :)

Can you do that ?

Nice project

Yes you can turn a Pi into a wifi hotspot as long as it has a satellite data connection (aka 3G or 4G) in which case the makers of the device would need to pay for several gigabit bandwidth to the internet.

Spoiler

Yes you can turn a Pi into a wifi hotspot as long as it has a satellite data connection (aka 3G or 4G) in which case the makers of the device would need to pay for several gigabit bandwidth to the internet.

Thanks ,

Maybe i will buy one and experiment wth it . I beleive it will be aswesome , ( What do you think?)

30 $ is good