How hard did you cringe?

TheMail

I don't see it as being all that much overpriced, I made a little list of components:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i3-3225 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($132.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler:  Integrated with All-In-One Monitor/Chassis
Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-B75TN Thin Mini ITX  LGA1155 Motherboard  ($105.15 @ Amazon)
Memory:  Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($46.83 @ Amazon)
Storage:  Western Digital Scorpio Blue 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($78.52 @ Amazon)
Power Supply:  Integrated with All-In-One Monitor/Chassis
Optical Drive:  Samsung SN-208BB DVD/CD Writer  ($32.19 @ SuperBiiz)
All-In-One Monitor/Chassis:  Mitac M770T 21.5" All-In-One Chassis  ($452.22 @ Amazon)
Total: $847.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-11 10:29 EDT-0400)

While the one I made is quite better you have to keep in mind that in their price includes the peripherals, assembly, the custom software, OS and a technician coming at your place to set it up and do the configuration.

If you subtract all these things from the price I would say the hardware cost is around 700$, pretty similar to what you would pay for doing it yourself.

I don't see it as being all that much overpriced, I made a little list of components: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / BenchmarksCPU:  Intel Core i3-3225 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($132.99 @ NCIX US)CPU Cooler:  Integrated with All-In-One Monitor/ChassisMotherboard:  Gigabyte GA-B75TN Thin Mini ITX  LGA1155 Motherboard  ($105.15 @ Amazon)Memory:  Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($46.83 @ Amazon)Storage:  Western Digital Scorpio Blue 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($78.52 @ Amazon)Power Supply:  Integrated with All-In-One Monitor/ChassisOptical Drive:  Samsung SN-208BB DVD/CD Writer  ($32.19 @ SuperBiiz)All-In-One Monitor/Chassis:  Mitac M770T 21.5" All-In-One Chassis  ($452.22 @ Amazon)Total: $847.90(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-11 10:29 EDT-0400) While the one I made is quite better you have to keep in mind that in their price includes the peripherals, assembly, the custom software, OS and a technician coming at your place to set it up and do the configuration.If you subtract all these things from the price I would say the hardware cost is around 700$, pretty similar to what you would pay for doing it yourself.

those parts are overpriced consumer price parts and far better than what in that "thing" it probably cost around 300 to make

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

those parts are overpriced consumer price parts and far better than what in that "thing" it probably cost around 300 to make

You can't compare the production prices and the final user prices or we could say that everything is way overpriced, What I was trying to say is that if you buy all the components they are using and build it yourself you will probably spend around 650€, with most of the cost coming from the AiO touchscreen chassis.

I just checked and the only way I could find that particular "apu" is included in the motherboard, the gigabyte one with USB3.0 support is over 150$. Let's say we saved $100, now halve the RAM and HDD space and you will probably save $50 more. The screen they are using is 1600x900 rather than 1920x1080, but the motherboard we now picked is mini-itx rather than thin mini-itx (they are probably using a custom made one, I can't find a thin mini-itx for amd CPU/APUs) and AiO chassis are more expensive when they support bigger form factors, based on this I would say that we could save at max $50 more but it would be pretty hard.

The price...cringe level - >9000

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

"There’s no way to break it by pushing the wrong button"

*facepalm*

In case anyone didn't see the specs...

Screen 20" High Definition, 16:9 Widescreen Panel (1600 x 900 pixels)

Processor AMD® Dual-Core E-350 (1.6GHz) Processor

Memory 2G DDR3 / DDR3 SO-DIMM x 2 Slots

Hard Drive 500GB 3.5" SATA II Disk Drive Tray-in DVD/CD Super Multi

Webcam Built-in Webcam with microphone

Touch Screen Multi Touch Screen

Rear Input/Output 6 USB ports, 1 microphone in, 1 earphone out, 10/100/1000 LAN, HDMI (out) 

Side Input/Output 1 Card Reader with 6-in-1 memory, 2 USB ports (1 with Super Charger), 1 DC jack

Wireless 802.11 b/g/n

Speakers Two 3W Stereo Speakers with SRS Premium Sound Technology

Input Devices USB keyboard and mouse are included.

so this is just a $200 netbook with a big touchscreen for £1k... nice markup

They saw a market and took it, don't see the problem with it at all. Just people with an idea wanting to make money! 

#!

Cringe level =  3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971* 10^666

on a scale from 1 to 10 i think i will go and say 9000  :D

my 84 year old grandma can use a regular computer so i dont see who would need that.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I live in a smaller town with a ton of older citizens who know NOTHING about computers at all. So I think this is a good idea, but that price of $999 is just stupid. $500, sure, but a price this high almost feels like they're stealing from them. 

its cute

Processor AMD® Dual-Core E-350 (1.6GHz) Processor Memory 2G DDR3 / DDR3 SO-DIMM x 2 Slots

well its a good idea for old people but that price is just outrageous 

First thing I said, wow.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

But It's On Sale !!!!!

That makes it a great buy. Lol

Corsair 900D, GTX 780, Maximus V Formula, 3770K, 4 x Sandisc SSD's, WD Black 2T, FrozenQ red helix res, Laing d5 pump,XSPC Raystorm, 480 Black Ice sr-1, XSPC RX240, XSPC White Tubing, 2 x koolance qd3 fittings and a butt load of corsair fans lol

corsair k70 keyboard and m65 mouse

Yeesh, people are being cruel tonight. I don't know, I think the pitch is cringe-worthy, but the actual product... No, not at all. I was going to agree at first but when you start thinking about it and reading the reviews, it's not hard to justify. I agree the price is too high, but were I part of the generation this is being marketed towards I wouldn't want something like Windows, which requires a lot of attention and can be confusing. You need to be constantly downloading Windows Updates and updating your anti-virus and dealing with a generally more unstable platform. Even though a lot of this will do itself, it all comes together to make a more stressful experience. And if something goes wrong, who do you talk to? Do you call up your grandkid again? You know he hates it, but it's that or calling Dell/Microsoft and being stuck on hold and directed to someone you can't understand or is being exceedingly condescending. Seniors aren't stupid as some people here seem to be implying. Everyone later in life will start having trouble picking up on new concepts, some to greater or lesser degrees than others, and given the massive technological advancement in the past fifty years, the learning curve went from difficult to just plain unfair. I would want simplicity and something that'll just work with minimum effort, something that will give me the "what" without having to know the "how". That's why most of the seniors I know use Apple products. They'll gladly pay a bit more (usually quite a bit) to have something that's simple and stable. Now comparing the Wow! Computer to the similarly priced Macbook Air, and this looks to be a bargain.

Actually, I think I'll give my grandma a call in the morning and see what she and her friends think of it. Overall, yeah, I like it. The free 60-day VIP support is a nice bonus, though the nigh-on $10/mo after that is steep. Then again, given the simplicity of the system I doubt many people would need it after the 60 days. By that point any issues with set-up would have been resolved. I think people are raging on this too quickly. Hardware seems to be in the Goldilocks zone for the intended uses. Lower the price by even a literal couple hundred and I'd say this is pretty fantastic. It's not for everyone, especially not for every senior, but for the Boomers who want to be able to use a computer and have trouble with Windows, this looks like a great solution.

well... It's a computer with everything, and new OS (presumably), anti-virus, office, etc.

tho 1199 is a bit high, maybe 899 or 799 will be okay.

Hahaha, it's on sale too though! Get it while this offer lasts, ya cunts.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

Oh god 15 on the cringe scale........ but linus please please please can we have one ;)