Should AMD sell their CPU division and concentrate on GPU's

marldorthegreat

After "Zen" I think AMD should sell there CPU division, and concentrate all efforts into GPU research and create something that can compete with Pascal/Maxwell. If AMD do not do this I fear that nvidia will do the same thing as Intel, and leave AMD behind

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Who the fuck is gonna buy a failing business?

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

no

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

That's a bad idea... Amd has good CPU's, they're called APU's... Their iGPU's are miles ahead of Intel... And a lot of Office computers need a little stronger iGPU's (people need horsepower to watch their pron in 8K :P)

Also, imagine if AMD backed out of CPU market O.o Intel would have monopoly and could drive the prices as high as they want, and we couldn't do much about it...

/Silver Knight

They seem to be making most of their money off of their GPUs, so this would make sense to me. Although, I think selling the WHOLE CPU division may be a bit much. AMD is king in the lower-end (for the most part), so if they focused their CPU resources there instead of the enthusiast market, then they would still make a lot of money from the people who buy $400 rigs along with the money they'd make from the GPU market.

This is completely ignoring the fact that Intel would have no competition in the enthusiast CPU market, which means they would (probably) charge insane prices.

That's a terrible idea. Intel would have a complete monopoly.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Yes they should. Sell them to intel imagine a 8 core intel processor for 200 bucks.

I touched the face of death, 4770K at 5.2 with 1.6

Yes they should. Sell them to intel imagine a 8 core intel processor for 200 bucks.

It would be more like 2000 bucks since they would no longer have any remotely close competition.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

That's a bad idea... Amd has good CPU's, they're called APU's... Their iGPU's are miles ahead of Intel... And a lot of Office computers need a little stronger iGPU's (people need horsepower to watch their pron in 8K :P)

Also, imagine if AMD backed out of CPU market O.o Intel would have monopoly and could drive the prices as high as they want, and we couldn't do much about it...

/Silver Knight

By miles ahead you're saying they're a generation behind right? Since AMD isn't improving a whole lot with Carrizo on the GPU side. Broadwell bringing a 40% improvement which will probably match 512 stream processors easily in performance... plus by Q3 skylake will bring a 40-60% on top of that... so basically by the time Zen arrives Intel will be "miles ahead". All Intel really needs is to tweak a few things into the igpu.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

you DO realize that only a small portion of AMD's profits come from GPUs, right?

Gaming grade PCs are the primary market which use AMD GPUs, while game consoles, consumer desktop PC's and laptops use AMD CPUs and APUs.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

They seem to be making most of their money off of their GPUs, so this would make sense to me. Although, I think selling the WHOLE CPU division may be a bit much. AMD is king in the lower-end (for the most part), so if they focused their CPU resources there instead of the enthusiast market, then they would still make a lot of money from the people who buy $400 rigs along with the money they'd make from the GPU market.

This is completely ignoring the fact that Intel would have no competition in the enthusiast CPU market, which means they would (probably) charge insane prices.

The high end CPUs should have a small department for the Sub Zero Overclockers.

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

By miles ahead you're saying they're a generation behind right? Since AMD isn't improving a whole lot with Carrizo on the GPU side. Broadwell bringing a 40% improvement which will probably match 512 stream processors easily in performance... plus by Q3 skylake will bring a 40-60% on top of that... so basically by the time Zen arrives Intel will be "miles ahead". All Intel really needs is to tweak a few things into the igpu.

Yeah, and who says that AMD won't unveil something badass O.o They might be hiding something, we'll see, but at the moment, they're ahead (Broadwell isn't even released...)

/Silver Knight

No... AMD is needed to keep Intel in check... Even if they're doing a piss poor job...

no they should sell the gpu bit and ati can be reborn!

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Yeah, and who says that AMD won't unveil something badass O.o They might be hiding something, we'll see, but at the moment, they're ahead (Broadwell isn't even released...)

/Silver Knight

2 models of broadwell-M have been released for awhile now. GCN 3.0 is all they've got; hopefully it brings something interesting to the field.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

It makes no sense to just give up on an entire market just because they are behind.  You/we have no idea what AMD's next generation of CPUs and/or APUs might be capable of.  They might be subpar, but they might also blow Intel's offerings away.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

If AMD sold their CPU line and focused on only GPUs it would take a while for the new company to start producing newer CPUs. The price range would probably be that of the intel CPUs or a little bit lower. AMD CPU's have that budget friendly appeal to lure in new customers into the PC universe. These customers could be future pc builders/gamers/software experts /media editors and more.  If the only CPU company was Intel, then it would still be expensive and not many people would be able to afford gaming PCs or build their own without wasting an amount equivalent to 800$ and up. I believe that when starting your journey in the PC universe, start small, cheap, affordable and then later on when you have the money begin to upgrade. So I honestly believe that AMD is the first, right step into the PC universe.   

No way. If AMD suddenly stopped making CPU's there would be nothing pushing Intel to make better processors.

For better or worse we do need at least two major players in this game.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

lol that is a totally bad freaking idea.

want simple i3 selling for 300 bucks? i5 going for nearly 1k and i7 going for like 1.5k or so then extreme shit going over that?

HELL fuck no that ain't good for both neutral people, amd guys and intel guys.

Live your life like a dream.

want simple i3 selling for 300 bucks? i5 going for nearly 1k and i7 going for like 1.5k or so then extreme shit going over that?

Um, there are other forces at play than just competition. There is a point at which the intended consumer is no longer able to purchase the product and the seller loses sales. Core i5's at $1000 are miles beyond that point.

An Intel acquisition of AMD's x86 CPU segment probably couldn't even get past the FTC. This is precisely the purpose of our antitrust laws.