Electrical engineering and embedded programming

Dragonflare

I'm not sure if this is the best place to throw an EE thread, but it wouldn't really fit anywhere else.

From Wikipedia: Electrical engineering is a field of engineering that generally deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. This field first became an identifiable occupation in the latter half of the 19th century after commercialization of the electric telegraph, the telephone, and electric power distribution and use. It now covers a wide range of subfields including electronics, digital computers, power engineering, telecommunications, control systems, RF engineering, and signal processing.

I'm in the early stages of getting a BS in Electrical Engineering, and for the time being, I just like to tinker with stuff.

This is an early stage of my 8x4 LED matrix that I am working on (got it put together but it is horribly buggy):

http://youtu.be/avJBiJSXpwg

(no embedding :()

It was thrown together fairly quickly using an arduino uno and a few for loops.

Feel free to discuss EE or post some of your own creations!

Zephyr:

3770k (Stock clock) w/ Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R | 16GB DDR3 @ 2133Mhz | 2x Radeon HD 6950 (Reference, stock clock) | Asrock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional | Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200w | 60GB SSD Boot, 750GB HDD Media, 1TB HDD Programs

third year EE with concentration in computer/digital systems :)

I wish i could get my hands on it... but for an Experimental Physics project me and my friend made a pair of electric guitars. They were pretty sweet.

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

That looks awesome! I wish I could do stuff like that. :(

I'll have to get into this. This is an inspiration, even though it's simple (you put it that way at least).

That looks awesome! I wish I could do stuff like that. :( I'll have to get into this. This is an inspiration' date=' even though it's simple (you put it that way at least). [/quote']

If you really are interested in getting into EE, I would suggest looking into the arduino. There are a few different models, but it gives you everything you need to start getting used to microcontrollers. Plus the community is HUGE, and there are libraries for almost anything. And its all open source.

http://www.arduino.cc/

Programming the arduino is pretty straightforward, its just C. And if you have trouble, there are plenty of people all over the place that are more than willing to help.

I say dive right in if it seems like something you would be interested in, its a great way to get introduced to EE. If you plan on taking your hobby further, it will certainly take more than just an arduino to fuel it, but you can cross that bridge when you come to if it you decide to stick to it.

Zephyr:

3770k (Stock clock) w/ Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R | 16GB DDR3 @ 2133Mhz | 2x Radeon HD 6950 (Reference, stock clock) | Asrock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional | Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200w | 60GB SSD Boot, 750GB HDD Media, 1TB HDD Programs

That looks awesome! I wish I could do stuff like that. :( I'll have to get into this. This is an inspiration' date=' even though it's simple (you put it that way at least). [/quote'] If you really are interested in getting into EE, I would suggest looking into the arduino. There are a few different models, but it gives you everything you need to start getting used to microcontrollers. Plus the community is HUGE, and there are libraries for almost anything. And its all open source. http://www.arduino.cc/ Programming the arduino is pretty straightforward, its just C. And if you have trouble, there are plenty of people all over the place that are more than willing to help. I say dive right in if it seems like something you would be interested in, its a great way to get introduced to EE. If you plan on taking your hobby further, it will certainly take more than just an arduino to fuel it, but you can cross that bridge when you come to if it you decide to stick to it.

Alright! Thanks a lot dude. I'll look further into it. :P

That looks awesome! I wish I could do stuff like that. :( I'll have to get into this. This is an inspiration' date=' even though it's simple (you put it that way at least). [/quote'] If you really are interested in getting into EE, I would suggest looking into the arduino. There are a few different models, but it gives you everything you need to start getting used to microcontrollers. Plus the community is HUGE, and there are libraries for almost anything. And its all open source. http://www.arduino.cc/ Programming the arduino is pretty straightforward, its just C. And if you have trouble, there are plenty of people all over the place that are more than willing to help. I say dive right in if it seems like something you would be interested in, its a great way to get introduced to EE. If you plan on taking your hobby further, it will certainly take more than just an arduino to fuel it, but you can cross that bridge when you come to if it you decide to stick to it.

Alright! Thanks a lot dude. I'll look further into it. :P

The starter kit is sold out, but I signed up to get a notification when they have more. :)

I'm in my second year majoring in Computer Engineering. This semester we'll be programming an ARM microcontroller in one class and configuring an FPGA using VHDL language in another class. This semester is gonna be awesome. :D

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I'm in my second year majoring in Computer Engineering. This semester we'll be programming an ARM microcontroller in one class and configuring an FPGA using VHDL language in another class. This semester is gonna be awesome. :D

Sure you say that now, but God help you if your classes use Xilinx. That software is extremely useful and extremely buggy.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking