Anyone else getting impatient?

StarFire

Man, the CPU market seems so stagnant. So much cool tech over the horizon, yet no real improvement today.

CPU: AMD Athlon 5350 (2.66 Ghz OC) Motherboard: Asus AM1m-a Memory: Mushkin Radioactive 8GB DDR3-1600 GPU: MSI R7 260 1GD5 OC Storage: Toshiba Hybrid 500GB Case: Cougar Spike PSU: Rosewill Arc 450 OS: Deepin Linux 2014

Yeah I know right.

In my opinion there should be a third CPU brand. But, SOMETIMES, the longer the products take to be released, the better they come out :D

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

I just hope AMD kicks butt next time around. It will be awesome if they do because then Intel will also have to up their game.

I doubt it tho. I don't think they can even beat the Ivy Bridge-E...

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

I just hope AMD kicks butt next time around. It will be awesome if they do because then Intel will also have to up their game.

Hopefully Zen won't be delayed. Right now their market niche is way too small to be competitive at all.

Their only strengths are their overclocking, their multi-threaded performance for the price and their integrated graphics.

None of which are that important to most people.

I doubt it tho. I don't think they can even beat the Ivy Bridge-E...

I'd say that it's not the market niche they're targeting. They'll probably continue to target the bulk of the market - LGA 1151/1150 for some time.

They're playing the price/performance game

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

Intel's Broadwell promises ultra-low TDP... I'm worried about performance... (but there are doubts that they'll skip this)

AMD's Zen and Skybridge feel promising...

I can't wait until 2016, so I'm getting a Haswell...

I'm also waiting on HSA...

See, I'd prefer something fast and hot rather than fast and cool.

"Liquid cooling reccomended" Sweet! Sign me up!

Not AMD fanboying here but, having a space heater is very nice during cold nights... But there is also the disadvantage of having a space heater during hot days...

I like AMD because they like to push open standards...

COME ON AMD!

I'm really impatient for that new architecture that's supposed to have their own SMT solution. Tired of shitty bulldozer. I want someone to give intel a run for their money on performance again. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Hopefully Zen won't be delayed. Right now their market niche is way too small to be competitive at all.

Their only strengths are their overclocking, their multi-threaded performance for the price and their integrated graphics.

None of which are that important to most people.

I'd say that it's not the market niche they're targeting. They'll probably continue to target the bulk of the market - LGA 1151/1150 for some time.

They're playing the price/performance game

Actually AMD's intergrated graphics are becoming a lot more viable of an option in most places; more laptops and are using them and educational institutions, at least where I am, are also opting to use AMD APU's in their desktops.

@vinyldash303

When I had my 480 this summer, It was running at 80% fan speed with the core at 100°C in 97°F weather. I was able to slightly carmalize a marshmallow on its exhaust. Then I slightly broke it ant sent it to @tmcclelland455 . I will say my 580 is simelar, but not nearly as hot. I'm thinking of busting out my PowerMac G5 and playing some TORCS on it to get my room warmed up because my heater blows on the back of my desk and then out my door. I might also start running FAH on my PC at night. I'm also starting to toss around the idea of getting some refrence cooled R9 290X's instead of another 580. We'll see. The 580's are only about $100 on ebay right now so they are cheaper.

My word...can you please correct these grammatical errors....Just in one of those moods xD

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Actually AMD's intergrated graphics are becoming a lot more viable of an option in most places; more laptops and are using them and educational institutions, at least where, are also opting to use AMD APU's in their desktops.

Yeah, but at the same time Intel's reliability and low power draw a lot of people to them. Their brand name is something that'll take a while to break down.

I agree though, AMD APUs are becoming more and more power efficient and feasible if people want to cut costs and power consumption. 

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

I would like to see 6 core become an i3 for Intel (long ways away) and AMD get better architecture so they can get Intel to put their butts in gear to make better processors.

Yeah, but at the same time Intel's reliability and low power draw a lot of people to them. Their brand name is something that'll take a while to break down.

I agree though, AMD APUs are becoming more and more power efficient and feasible if people want to cut costs and power consumption. 

The Trinity APUs are very nice if you're short on budget and can't get a graphics card at the time of purchase but I recommend against going beyond an A8 if you'll be getting a graphics card anyway...

I'm already impatient about Skybridge, Carrizo and Zen. That's where we'll finally see a new architecture led by the genius (Jim Keller) and AMD drop the failed Bulldozer design.

But when they're 5 times smaller, bleeding money, 2 billion in debt, and suffering from competitor malpractices (Contra-revenue, Gameworks), it'll be a SUPER-TOUGH fight for AMD.

Gosh it's like they need some sort of miracle to bring them back to their 90s glory. I want them to stay in the market, (also because they pursue open standards) or else a $1000 for the next Celeron!

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

The Trinity APUs are very nice if you're short on budget and can't get a graphics card at the time of purchase but I recommend against going beyond an A8 if you'll be getting a graphics card anyway...

The Athlon series of CPUs are a much better option if you intend on getting a GPU with your PC - they're cheaper and OC better than the APUs.

I'm already impatient about Skybridge, Carrizo and Zen. That's where we'll finally see a new architecture led by the genius (Jim Keller) and AMD drop the failed Bulldozer design.

But when they're 5 times smaller, bleeding money, 2 billion in debt, and suffering from competitor malpractices (Contra-revenue, Gameworks), it'll be a SUPER-TOUGH fight for AMD.

Gosh it's like they need some sort of miracle to bring them back to their 90s glory. I want them to stay in the market, (also because they pursue open standards) or else a $1000 for the next Celeron!

What's Skybridge? Is it their ARM line? (What's the point of ARM?)

AMD has a tough road, but to companies like that 1-2 years of work shouldn't be a problem - they'll be able to survive until 2016, then we'll have to see what happens after.

Having competition is always good, so if anything's a reason to buy AMD products, supporting AMD could be one.

No. I like stagnant because it means I won't have to upgrade anytime soon and can keep on playing with my current set up. HAPPY DAYS!

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

The Athlon series of CPUs are a much better option if you intend on getting a GPU with your PC - they're cheaper and OC better than the APUs.

I meant if your budget is still short of getting a good GPU in spite of getting an Athlon...

I couldn't agree with you more.

The Lack of L3 cache will push people towards the FX line, though. It's the same price with a decent upgrade path.

No. I like stagnant because it means I won't have to upgrade anytime soon and can keep on playing with my current set up. HAPPY DAYS!

:P you don't *have* to upgrade if new chips come out ;)

I meant if your budget is still short of getting a good GPU in spite of getting an Athlon...

Ohhhh

I guess for the A8 7600 that might be an option, but if you're getting an A10, an 860K paired with an 250 or something would still give better performance in most situations.

The APUs are great if you want a SFF gaming PC or you want a slim tower, but for gaming, they aren't *that* viable yet.

What's Skybridge? Is it their ARM line? (What's the point of ARM?)

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/ambidextrous-computing-2014may05.aspx

Google "AMD Skybridge" for articles from review sites.

Ya, I wish. Games and apps will keep demanding more performance (more realism etc.), so nope.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/ambidextrous-computing-2014may05.aspx

Google "AMD Skybridge" for articles from review sites.

I know it's the introduction of pin-compatible high-performance ARM chips, but isn't X86 good enough?

Why would you need Android/server processes to run on a desktop?

:x forgive my ignorance

Ya, I wish. Games and apps will keep demanding more performance (more realism etc.), so nope.

AMD CPUs are okay for the price if you intend to use mid/low-range cards, so if you aren't intending on getting super high-end cards, I daresay you'll be fine :P

They might barely be able to support their FX line until 2016, then the Zen architecture will have to be an enormous improvement for AMD to be competitive.

I know it's the introduction of pin-compatible high-performance ARM chips, but isn't X86 good enough? 

Why would you need Android/server processes to run on a desktop?

:x forgive my ignorance

I heard ARM is much more efficient than x86, so technically ARM will beat x86 in the long run..... (considering ARM will get true big cores to beat x86).

AMD's ARM SoCs (Seattle) are also aimed at servers because of energy efficency over x86. Basically their *statement* is: ARM is better than x86 and it will beat x86 in the long run. They do need something strong against Intel.

These are my understanding based on my knowledge, so don't take my words for it.

When I had my 480 this summer, It was running at 80% fan speed with the core at 100°C in 97°F weather. I was able to slightly carmalize a marshmallow on its exhaust. Then I slightly broke it ant sent it to @tmcclelland455 . I will say my 580 is simelar, but not nearly as hot. I'm thinking of busting out my PowerMac G5 and playing some TORCS on it to get my room warmed up because my heater blows on the back of my desk and then out my door. I might also start running FAH on my PC at night. I'm also starting to toss around the idea of getting some refrence cooled R9 290X's instead of another 580. We'll see. The 580's are only about $100 on ebay right now so they are cheaper.

heheheheheheheheh I'll be throwing it in a roughly 19C basement. That should make it slightly cooler.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

You will not need a heater down there.

Yeah, the basement might hit 20C if I'm lucky. That basement has yet to pass 21C.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I heard ARM is much more efficient than x86, so technically ARM will beat x86 in the long run..... (considering ARM will get true big cores to beat x86).

AMD's ARM SoCs (Seattle) are also aimed at servers because of energy efficency over x86. Basically their *statement* is: ARM is better than x86 and it will beat x86 in the long run. They do need something strong against Intel.

These are my understanding based on my knowledge, so don't take my words for it.

Ohh, that makes sense, kinda. The designs won't be from AMD, though, and I'm not sure if Windows will run on an X86 platform. I just wish Zen will be something good.

Great to see merging of platforms! It's not a bad thing, in the end.

I like AMD because they like to push open standards...

HAhahahaha.......................................

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Ohh, that makes sense, kinda. The designs won't be from AMD, though, and I'm not sure if Windows will run on an X86 platform. I just wish Zen will be something good.

Great to see merging of platforms! It's not a bad thing, in the end.

I don't understand what do you mean by the designs won't be from AMD though. They will be custom-made, built from scratch by AMD, except the Seattle CPU core, which is a vanilla A57 if I recall correctly.

I think you meant "Windows won't run on a non-x86 platform, as in ARM". Answer: Windows RT. Yes it won't run x86 software and that's where the pin-compatible designs comes in handy. You get to choose and switch if you wish while keeping the same socket. But in the long run it makes sense, since Linux based OSes (Android, iOS, Mac OSX) are becoming more popular, increasing number of apps are being made for those platforms; and guess what, 2 of the 3 OSes I mentioned is running on ARM SoCs.