Anyone else getting impatient?

StarFire

:P you don't *have* to upgrade if new chips come out ;)

But when new, faster chips become the norm and games expect you to have them, you bet you're gonna have to upgrade.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

Man, the CPU market seems so stagnant. So much cool tech over the horizon, yet no real improvement today.

970 and 980 recently came out, as did X99 with it's highly accessible and affordable hex core CPU and 8 core extreme parts.

Not sure what you mean about the market being stagnant. There should have been an Intel mainstream "Tick" which there wasn't, but otherwise, things continue as usual.

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

I don't understand what do you mean by the designs won't be from AMD though. They will be custom-made, built from scratch by AMD, except the Seattle CPU core, which is a vanilla A57 if I recall correctly.

I think you meant "Windows won't run on a non-x86 platform, as in ARM". Answer: Windows RT. Yes it won't run x86 software and that's where the pin-compatible designs comes in handy. You get to choose and switch if you wish while keeping the same socket. But in the long run it makes sense, since Linux based OSes (Android, iOS, Mac OSX) are becoming more popular, increasing number of apps are being made for those platforms; and guess what, 2 of the 3 OSes I mentioned is running on ARM SoCs.

Isn't the CPU core what matters the most? Also doesn't TSMC or GF actually make the chips (I don't think AMD actually produces semiconductors)

I can see it being extremely popular in servers.

Isn't Windows RT dead? I believe windows is being merged into one giant OS that can be on a desktop, laptop, or tablet, though, so this may be going somewhere.

It'll be really cool, though.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

well I kinda wish amd would whoop up something in their ass to beat haswell refresh in performance by 50% and match or lower their tdp.

that way intel can get their ass up and whoop up something better or matches it in performance.

in the end us consumers would benefit the most :) unless they jack up prices to the end.

Live your life like a dream.