I can't believe how much money my grandmother spent for a kia soul

Sammael

I visited today and she wanted me to set up bill pay online so I did that, then saw her total payout...

27 thousand effing dollars for an effing kia soul.  WTF.  She could have gotten a damn CLA for that kind of money, W T F !!!!!!!

2014-mercedes-cla-45-amg-first-photos-le

She got totally taken, you can configure a soul up that high, but it's an effing soul, why would anyone spend that kind of money on a soul ??!??!??!?!??

Am I insane here?  I feel like I should have found out and intervened, she clearly needed help picking cars.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

It looks nice (I have minimal knowledge about cars btw), but not $27K nice. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

I will say, and this is insensitive, oh well.

Whether she liked it to start with, she got taken or not, it's her decision. You can protest it all you want, but it's standard business practices (of which I don't disagree with.) You also know a lot more about cars than her. We both know that there's much better out there, but to be honest, I wouldn't want a base CLA anyways. It would be eerily bare for a Mercedes-Benz. Hell, my GLK 350 cost less and it is loaded (2012 though, but I am confident that I would be happier with it than a base CLA.)

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

It's her money she can buy what she wants. Mind boggling I know. 

She absolutely can, I just wish she knew there was better out there.  Or at least kept an eye out for a better deal.  I mean god damn.  I get that cars can cost far more than that, but you are generally buying into a brand or something else more specific that drives up the price, but souls seem like they should not ever cost more than low 20s, unless electric or something.  

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

She absolutely can, I just wish she knew there was better out there.  Or at least kept an eye out for a better deal.  I mean god damn.  I get that cars can cost far more than that, but you are generally buying into a brand or something else more specific that drives up the price, but souls seem like they should not ever cost more than low 20s, unless electric or something.  

Whats done is done. Maybe she couldn't arsed with doing research. 

If she's happy about her purchase then that's all that matters. Be happy for the woman. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

It's her money she can buy what she wants. Mind boggling I know. 

It's not like it's your money, maybe it's something that she wants and she has the money for it......

I'm sure you guys would 'protest' someone on this forum wanting to spend $10k on a gaming PC and put an 8350 with four titans in it. Sure it's her money, but there's definitely better decisions to be made.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Well keep in mind all the additional taxes and fees that are tagged onto the price tag in most countries for a new car. You can easily see an extra $5000 from taxes and fees.

Also, what is the comparison of MPG for the Soul vs the car you recommended? I assume the Soul is a lot better on gas, but I of course could be mistaken.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I'm sure you guys would 'protest' someone on this forum wanting to spend $10k on a gaming PC and put an 8350 with four titans in it. Sure it's her money, but there's definitely better decisions to be made.

10K for 8350 and 4 Titans

Sure i know that's not great of a deal, but that doesn't stop me saying it's the person choice to get it, not mine.

So what? We rant about it instead of talking to said person instead? Come on now. 

You either choose to help by explaining or let them be happy with their purchase. Don't get mad about someone else's clumsy purchase.... 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Whats done is done. Maybe she couldn't arsed with doing research. 

If she's happy about her purchase then that's all that matters. Be happy for the woman. 

I'm not going to make a fuss over it, I deliberately did NOT bring it up with her precisely because the deal is already done.  That's why I have OT to vent the over the top pricing.  Bringing it up to her would serve no purpose other than souring the mood over the whole thing.  It's like trying to tell someone on a death bed that god is not real when they believe, give me SOME credit guys.  (and they all say, no, not a chance!)

Because cars are undeniably the same as computers.

First off, I'd bet the Soul has far more gadgets than a base CLA. It's common sense, and if you like a car for it's gadgets, the Korean, Japanese and Germans all do it well.

Next, the Soul has more cargo room. This matters for a lot of people.

The Soul is more economical than the CLA, which is a sportier car by nature. Whoops, common sense and thought got the best of me.

The Soul has a better warranty than the Mercedes-Benz.

The Soul is cheaper to insure than the Mercedes.

There are upsides and downsides to both decisions. But neither is perfect. With the computers, an 8350 and quad Titans is undeniably stupid. Last gen + shit performance/watt = the epitome of stupidity. A PC which is better optimized in terms of specs for the current time would be far better in every single way.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Don't they start at US$15k?

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

I'm not going to make a fuss over it, I deliberately did NOT bring it up with her precisely because the deal is already done.  That's why I have OT to vent the over the top pricing.  Bringing it up to her would serve no purpose other than souring the mood over the whole thing.  It's like trying to tell someone on a death bed that god is not real when they believe, give me SOME credit guys.  (and they all say, no, not a chance!)

Give you some credit for doing something you believe should have been done already? What? 

You either explain it to her or be happy for her, its apparent your not happy about the purchase. What good would it do by telling us how "effing" expensive the KIA was?  

I'll give you that you are concerned about your grandmother's choice of automobile, but that's where I stop personally. A CLA isn't a perfect vehicle for anyone. At $27K, you would get a rather bare example, lacking the most basic options. I would say more, but I made a post above about it going more in depth.

And as you can tell, I am one of the biggest Mercedes-Benz fanboys in the land here.

First off, I'd bet the Soul has far more gadgets than a base CLA. It's common sense, and if you like a car for it's gadgets, the Korean, Japanese and Germans all do it well.

The Soul is more economical than the CLA, which is a sportier car by nature.

There are upsides and downsides to both decisions. But neither is perfect. With the computers, an 8350 and quad Titans is undeniably stupid. Last gen + shit performance/watt = the epitome of stupidity. A PC which is better optimized in terms of specs for the current time would be far better in every single way.

I will say, she would definitely appreciate the extra carrying space in the soul, though I just checked and the mpg is not that great.  Surprised me actually, I thought it was much better, but I guess that was a scion xB I was thinking of.

Don't they start at US$15k?

I'd seen it go as low as 10K sometimes....

But to answer your question, they do start at 15K USD.

The Soul is more economical than the CLA, which is a sportier car by nature.

Good points, smart analysis. 

I probably shoulda used my head here since I've got experience in working for a autoshop, but I couldn't be bothered this late at night. 

I will say, she would definitely appreciate the extra carrying space in the soul, though I just checked and the mpg is not that great.  Surprised me actually, I thought it was much better, but I guess that was a scion xB I was thinking of.

Suprisingly, it's not more economical. Let me cross that one off.

I dont think you understand...

Someone WANTING to spend $10k on that PC would not have bough it yet and we would be able to convince them that there is something better.

In this case, the woman has already bought the car, in which case there is no point arguing with a purchase already made.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Good points, smart analysis. 

I probably shoulda used my head here since I've got experience in working for a autoshop, but I couldn't be bothered this late at night. 

I'm just a 17-year old Korean kid, past his bedtime and having not completed the tasks he set before him who has a passion for debate.

Got milk?

Considering msrp is 15k. Yeah she got taken...

Sorry to hear about this.

I'm just a 17-year old Korean kid, past his bedtime and having not completed the tasks he set before him who has a passion for debate.

Got milk?

Yo spend all that free time you have now wisely. Once you have to "work" to pay the bills the good times get cut by lots... 

Unless you somehow find a job you like....