I'm a PC Gamer. Although Consoles are Still Cool

Guest Philosophy
Go to solution Solved by IdortMasterRace,
you'd buy a console game, throw it in the thing and it'd run

And you can still do that.

As for local multi, the only thing they still have over PC, I don't care what you say Nintendo owns that space. On the Sony/MS boxes it's a few games like Rayman and then some sports games. The rest is largely content that even if it has a local-multi mode it's not the focus. Compared to the Wii U where it runs through most of the first party games. Even in 3D World the main gimmick is the local multi. And if a console isn't trying to do that then why would it not be better to have that same thing on PC?

Me and my friends play All-Stars Battle Royale all the time (and Smash) local co-op. We play countless first person shooters split-screen, especially Halo games. We've been playing Resogun local co-op recently, which is an excellent shmup and is amazing with friends. Again, stop with the bias. You can't just cherry pick and then leave out everything else.

People are going to hate me for this, although I believe some games are just better on console, I cannot articulate why, I am thinking about buying a PS4 just for that purpose. I will probably only play it now and then. Anyway, is there a PS4 bundle that would save me some money? 

Only reason I keep a console around is if my friends want to play splitscreen :)

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

where else are you meant to play naughty dog games? 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I don't really agree with you, though there are some older console exclusives that I did enjoy. (Playstation 2)

Check ebay, and your local gamestop or equivalent if you live near one.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

get a bundle with 2 controllers if you can (and you save money with it), splitscreen is the only real reason to buy a console (and exclusives)

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

get a bundle with 2 controllers if you can, splitscreen is the only real reason to buy a console

I agree, I have friends that love to play spilt screen and console in general. I am the only one of my peer group who is a PC gamer. I have 0 friends on steam. 

I see nothing wrong with liking consoles. 

It's less of an investment initially, and will last you a few years. No need to worry about looking at game requirements etc.

But then again the way that the console and game companies treat their customers is disgusting. And games are too expensive.

System: Thinkpad T460

well i like pc more, and will likly get a ps4 but i will play my games on the ssuperior platform.

for example cod is better on console, and consoles have exclusives.

however most other games will be better on pc, like bf4 and bioshock

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

well i like pc more, and will likly get a ps4 but i will play my games on the ssuperior platform.

I agree with this comment completely. 

i see consoles as this.

there good for local multiplayer (as long as they actual have games available for that)

the 360 and ps3 did become very cheap for what they could do. (the ps4 and xbox one no so much)

the current generation of consoles though is bad. there already under performing. they have to last what? 5 years ? 10 years?

i have to disagree on a few points, all platforms have exclusives so i consider this point meaningless.

Cod being better on console? thats iffy ground

i see consoles as this.

there good for local multiplayer (as long as they actual have games available for that)

the 360 and ps3 did become very cheap for what they could do. (the ps4 and xbox one no so much)

the current generation of consoles though is bad. there already under performing. they have to last what? 5 years ? 10 years?

i have to disagree on a few points, all platforms have exclusives so i consider this point meaningless.

Cod being better on console? thats iffy ground

I have played COD on PC almost all hackers even on new ones. 

I own a Wii U and I couldn't be happier with it, it's just a different experience. Probably more of a psychological factor than a practical one, but it feels different. And I really enjoy Nintendo games, as well as the Miiverse and all that stuff.

It's just nice to go HDMI2 and enjoy some Mario Kart online.

Imho consoles are for gaming, PCs are for finding Thule. I mean, if you just wanna have fun with videogames, consoles are perfect. PCs take it to the enthusiast level, they deliver a deeper pleasure through assembling and reasearching, and learning stuff. I mean, if you just have to compare the gaming experience there's not that much of a difference. PCs can be more powerful and all, but it's basically the same thing: playing videogames. The true pleasure of assembling and owning a PC lies in the making and in the discovery, in the work you put in your machine.

It's like comparing buying roses and cultivating your own roses in your own garden. Roses are still roses, but learning how to bring them up and working hard to make them blossom, that's the kind of richer and "superior" pleasure PCs (or even being into console modding, and stuff, being really passionate about something) deliver.

I actually prefer playing most of my games on console. The last thing I want to do after working a double shift is to sit at a desk and play a game or even having to troubleshoot problems so I can play a game. I would rather just turn on my console and start playing in bed. I do have a gaming pc that I play things that I want the benefits of a pc (modding primarily) but honestly I don't care about resolution. I don't care about keyboards/mouse vs gamepad. I just want to play a game. Id the game fun? Yes? Cool I'll play it. 

The appeal of consoles for me used to be the splitscreen local coop that i can play with my friends. On the PS4 that i have right now however, lacks a splitscreen game. Most games are singleplayer only which is dissapointing. So my PS4 is just sitting there collecting dust...

I agree with the comments people are making to a point. The problem is that Sony and Microsoft are doing their best to remove all of the advantages console gaming once had. You're now installing the game before you play it, you're not really playing with other people in the same room and you have the same big day 1 patches to fix the game breaking bug they let slip. So IMO there's a place where consoles are better but the only company still making that console is Nintendo. Well, I suppose the Vita and 3DS are also valuable given that portable PC gaming isn't really a thing.

I mean I can sit at my PC and play the big AAA third party game and enjoy the story by myself. If it's something like a small indie platformer I'll even play it with a controller because for some games that makes sense. But then when I have guests I can fire up the Wii U and play some Mario Kart or Nintendo Land and have an entirely different sort of experience and does a better job of it than my PC could. So I don't see where in this whole setup a PS4/XBOne would add value. For those couple of exclusive games which look interesting but would probably be better on PC? Maybe. 

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Consoles as a concept is cool :). This generation of consoles are not :(.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Cmon you can't beat a night of friends playing a Nintendo game. Other than that there are still many console exclusive games.

I really don't have any issues with people buying consoles, especially if they don't want a gaming PC.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

Nothing wrong with enjoying both PCs and Consoles. To me, that's the real master race - owning all platforms, enjoying all games, and reaping the pros and cons of everything.

I agree with the comments people are making to a point. The problem is that Sony and Microsoft are doing their best to remove all of the advantages console gaming once had. You're now installing the game before you play it, you're not really playing with other people in the same room and you have the same big day 1 patches to fix the game breaking bug they let slip.

Uh, what?

Installing games before you play them is an advantage, it increases load times, and can also reduce power usage and temperatures. This has been a thing since PS3/360.

You're not really playing with people in the same room? Why not? I do all the time.

Day-one patches are also an advantage. They fix bugs and glitches that, if we went back a couple generations, would be stuck in the games forever (or you'd have to send your copy away to the devs, and let them send you out a new, fixed copy).

Just as you say you can fire up a WiiU and play exclusives with split screen, I can do the exact same thing on my PS4, as can others on Xbox. Stop with the bias.

This generation of consoles are not :(.

And why not, exactly? So far this has been no different than any other gen.

Installing games before you play them is an advantage, it increases load times, and can also reduce power usage and temperatures. This has been a thing since PS3/360.

Day-one patches are also an advantage. They fix bugs and glitches that, if we went back a couple generations, would be stuck in the games forever (or you'd have to send your copy away to the devs, and let them send you out a new, fixed copy).

Just as you say you can fire up a WiiU and play exclusives with split screen, I can do the exact same thing on my PS4, as can others on Xbox. Stop with the bias.

Installing games and large day-1 patches removes one of the key advantages consoles have always had over PC. It used to be that you'd buy a console game, throw it in the thing and it'd run. Now, especially if you're on Australian 'nets, you're sitting there watching that progress bar tick along. And this is something that also applies to the Wii U so don't pretend I'm saying otherwise. When I first loaded the thing it took a good hour or so before I could actually play a game. Console's used to have that over PCs, that's no longer a thing.

As for local multi, the only thing they still have over PC, I don't care what you say Nintendo owns that space. On the Sony/MS boxes it's a few games like Rayman and then some sports games. The rest is largely content that even if it has a local-multi mode it's not the focus. Compared to the Wii U where it runs through most of the first party games. Even in 3D World the main gimmick is the local multi. And if a console isn't trying to do that then why would it not be better to have that same thing on PC?

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

you'd buy a console game, throw it in the thing and it'd run

And you can still do that.

Me and my friends play All-Stars Battle Royale all the time (and Smash) local co-op. We play countless first person shooters split-screen, especially Halo games. We've been playing Resogun local co-op recently, which is an excellent shmup and is amazing with friends. Again, stop with the bias. You can't just cherry pick and then leave out everything else.