g3258 or FX 6300

Go to solution Solved by Faceman,

Because you are inexperienced, go with the i3 + B85. It is your best option for longevity and future upgrades.

You don't have to buy a locked processor. Re-read what I said.

The Pentium G3258 is by far a better choice, it's only $70 instead of $120 and the G3258 is unlocked and overclockable. You can still upgrade to a better CPU on 1150 down the road. The money you save on the CPU you can put towards other PC components like your GPU, which is more important than your CPU for gaming.

In this video they OCed the G3258 to 4.7GHz

yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why

By then you will need a new motherboard. I recommend the pentium 3258 because it will perform significantly better than the i3 in games.

what why?, i thought that i3 is betteR?

Because you are inexperienced, go with the i3 + B85. It is your best option for longevity and future upgrades.

You don't have to buy a locked processor. Re-read what I said.

okay i will do that..

But how long will B85 be able to serve me?. i would like 5 years :) but that is only what i would want :D

the G3258 is better in games that can utilize two cores or less. In games which can take advantage of four cores the i3 does have a bit of an advantage. If you really want to get 5 years out of this, then the better choice would be to go with a G3258 and then upgrade to a Broadwell i5/i7 down the road (or just save up for a Haswell/Broadwell i5/i7).

okay i will do that..

But how long will B85 be able to serve me?. i would like 5 years :) but that is only what i would want :D

It depends what kind of performance you want. 

60FPS at ultra settings on AAA titles will not happen. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

the G3258 is better in games that can utilize two cores or less. In games which can take advantage of four cores the i3 does have a bit of an advantage. If you really want to get 5 years out of this, then the better choice would be to go with a G3258 and then upgrade to a Broadwell i5/i7 down the road (or just save up for a Haswell/Broadwell i5/i7).

It depends what kind of performance you want. 

60FPS at ultra settings on AAA titles will not happen. 

I dont even know what AAA is, and is it important. ? lol

You can overclock the pentium to around 4.5ghz, but i3s are stuck below 3.7ghz even for the highest i3. In all other cases, i3s are better, but the pentium 3258 can overclock so it is amazing. You can also get better other components because it is chaeaper, like 8gb ram instead of 4gb, a nicer mobo, another hdd, or a higher gpu.

I dont even know what AAA is, and is it important. ? lol

AAA titles are the big games which get a lot of hype. 

An example of a AAA title would be Crysis. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

AAA titles are the big games which get a lot of hype. 

An example of a AAA title would be Crysis. 

aha i think that i get it. thanks mate :)

So how i can know what games are AAA?

aha i think that i get it. thanks mate :)

So how i can know what games are AAA? 

If you want to be able to play the newest and best games at ultra settings, 60fps, and 1080p for the next 5 years, then an i3/g3258 will not cut it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

If you want to be able to play the newest and best games at ultra settings, 60fps, and 1080p for the next 5 years, then an i3/g3258 will not cut it. 

not at 60 FPS i would be happy at 45-50 FPS

I know it will not.. I dont have to play it at ultra settings 60 fps... :)

@lovingGamer

Buy the i3 + B85.  You are inexperienced and this is a processor that performs very well without having to overclock.  It is also upgradable because the motherboard is on a platform capable of powering an i5 or i7.

It will serve you well for 2-3 years, maybe longer.

When you are unhappy with your performance and ready for an upgrade, you can use the same motherboard and buy a new processor, such as an i5-4440 - 329KM.

If you can somehow spend more money, I highly encourage you to buy the i5-4440 now.  It is a much stronger processor, and it will last you 4-5(maybe longer) years without the need to upgrade.  Think of it as an investment, by spending the extra money now, you wont have to spend more money in the future.  This is a very capable processor from day one that you won't have to worry about overclocking, and can play ANY game without having to worry if your CPU is strong enough.  This is the best no-hassle solution to get the computer you want, for the length of time that you want.  If you can not afford the i5 now, the i3 is the best option for you at this point in time.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I don't think he wants an opinion on whats a better CPU, It seems like he has decided to buy the i3 4130 and is looking to people here for approval.

Lets be honest the 6300 will perform better in BF4 with a proper high-end GPU. A 6300 costs as much as the i3 so why not go for that one?

This is basicly true.

I voted for the FX6300 over the Pentium because of that, if i just stick to these 2 cpu´s.

Thats where the question was all about.

i agree that looking for an i3, would realy be something to concider.

But the FX6300 is definitely not a bad choice since they came down in price allot lately.

However since AM3+ is dead, there will be no upgrade path.

So yeah thats why you may should concider an i3 for cost savings.

All those reviewers out there, should just stop, praising that Pentium G to heaven with GPU bound benchmarks.

I don't think he wants an opinion on whats a better CPU, It seems like he has decided to buy the i3 4130 and is looking to people here for approval.

that is exactly what i want!!

that is exactly what i want!!

I stick by what I said earlier, G3258 is a better choice if you want to upgrade in a couple years

The Pentium G3258 is by far a better choice, it's only $70 instead of $120 and the G3258 is unlocked and overclockable. You can still upgrade to a better CPU on 1150 down the road. The money you save on the CPU you can put towards other PC components like your GPU, which is more important than your CPU for gaming.

In this video they OCed the G3258 to 4.7GHz

Stop. just stop.

He is inexperienced and wants the best no-hassle option to last him the longest amount of time.  We can all agree that the Pentium is a fantastic chip that has its place in the market.  However, in order for it to be very good, it needs to be overclocked, which is not the most simple thing, especially for a novice, and the quality of overclock is not guaranteed.  These chips are fickle.  We see people almost everyday getting really bad overclocks on their Pentiums.  He needs to go with the i3 because it is guaranteed to work without issue, and it is still upgradable. 

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

G3258 is only the better choice if you upgrade within the year. More than that, and the 1150 socket will be dead. The've already announced the 1151 socket.

The biggest consideration is total platform cost. FX-6300 typically require a more expensive MoBo and an aftermarket cooler, while the G3258 does not.

This is basicly true.

I voted for the FX6300 over the Pentium because of that, if i just stick to these 2 cpu´s.

Thats where the question was all about.

i agree that looking for an i3, would realy be something to concider.

But the FX6300 is definitely not a bad choice since they came down in price allot lately.

However since AM3+ is dead, there will be no upgrade path.

So yeah thats why you may should concider an i3 for cost savings.

All those reviewers out there, should just stop, praising that Pentium G to heaven with GPU bound benchmarks.

I agree, there's not much isn't really any upgradeability on AM3+ 

op core i3 is your best option anyone saying something else is wrong...the core i3 is fine out of the box no need to overclock it...if you can spend a little extra and catch a core i5-4430 or i5-4440 all the better but the i3 will do great.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

G3258 is only the better choice if you upgrade within the year. More than that, and the 1150 socket will be dead. The've already announced the 1151 socket.

The biggest consideration is total platform cost. FX-6300 typically require a more expensive MoBo and an aftermarket cooler, while the G3258 does not.

LOL The AM3+ socket has been dead for YEARS and people are still buying the cpus/mobos xD

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

LOL The AM3+ socket has been dead for YEARS and people are still buying the cpus/mobos xD

yes, but in the other hand people recommend the pentium g3258 which fails to launch the new call of duty...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Which one is better for Gaming..

And would it be worth OCing G3258

It's only worth getting the G3258 if you're going to overclock. If you aren't going to overclock, either an i3 or even a cheaper Pentium would make more sense.

If you are getting the processor with the intent to upgrade later, the G3258 is better as it would allow a drop-in upgrade to a Haswell or Broadwell i5 later on with the same motherboard. But if you're getting one to keep, I think its worth spending a bit extra for an FX-6300 or Core i3.

yes, but in the other hand people recommend the pentium g3258 which fails to launch the new call of duty...

I play the new cod on my xbone1 792p 24 fps costing me a total of $400+$60+$60. Pc's are too expensive!!!

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

I play the new cod on my xbone1 792p 24 fps costing me a total of $400+$60+$60. Pc's are too expensive!!!

hahahahahahaha....hahahaha,....ok

i can build yourself a machine with that 520$ that will run AW at 60fps 1080p maxed out settings.