g3258 or FX 6300

Go to solution Solved by Faceman,

Because you are inexperienced, go with the i3 + B85. It is your best option for longevity and future upgrades.

You don't have to buy a locked processor. Re-read what I said.

Aha, in future i'm planing to get i5, so i was thinking to go with Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H is that good MB?

No. If you want a broadwell i5 down the road, you need an h97 or z97 chipset motherboard. h97 does not support overclocking (except specifically on the G3258), z97 does. If you end up with a K series CPU (like the i5-4590k) then you want a Z97 chipset board. If you instead get a non-K series CPU (like the i5-4460), then get an h97 chipset board.

Nope

Elaborate.

Aha, in future i'm planing to get i5, so i was thinking to go with Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H is that good MB?

If you're planning to OC the i5 (k version) then get a Z97 board.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

To be honest there is little difference between the two according to this.    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-G3258-vs-AMD-FX-6300

cpuboss is worthless garbage 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I wonder if we can start a petition to remove CPUboss, GPUboss, cpupassmark.net, etc.. from the internet.  Those websites do a lot of harm.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

The G3258 is better for single threaded (older or poorly coded) games.

The FX-6300 is better for multi-threaded (newer) games.

Both are overclockable with unlocked multipliers, and both are worth it to overclock.

Since single-threaded games are older, the FX-6300 can usually play them just fine. As such, I usually recommend the FX-6300 based on just these factors.

However, if you have money coming in the future, the G3258 can be replaced with an i5/i7 down the road without having to change out the MoBo and only losing the $70 for the G3258, while the FX-6300's AM3+ socket is dead with no future updates. If an upgrade is likely in the near future, then the G3258 becomes the better choice. If you are planning an upgrade down the road, then it becomes best to get an H97 or Z97 chipset board to support broadwell CPUs, which increases the cost of the G3258 platform (H97 for locked multiplier upgrade path, Z97 for overclocking K-Series upgrade path, both will overclock the G3258 though)

↑ This is the best answer in this thread ↑

yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why

if you want to play old mmo's and single treaded stuff the pentium is better...the fx is better at everything else including modern games...but the upgrade path in intel's side is much brighter i must say.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

You don't need an aftermarket cooler to OC the Pentium.

really are you sure?.

Go with a Z97 + Pentium. Can often be found as a bundle for $100. Later when you get more money, buy an i5.

An overclocked Pentium + Mid range GPU like 270/280/760 will play BF4 at High-Ultra no problem. Check youtube for Pentium G3258 BF4 Multiplayer videos

only one problem!, in my country Z98 and pentium don't come in bundles..

And Z98 is really really expensive, why cant i go with Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H, what will happen if i go with that board?

if you want to play old mmo's and single treaded stuff the pentium is better...the fx is better at everything else including modern games...but the upgrade path in intel's side is much brighter i must say.

lol lol lol..... I'm not planing to play mmo's!. I want to play Modern games..

Lets be honest the 6300 will perform better in BF4 with a proper high-end GPU. A 6300 costs as much as the i3 so why not go for that one?

I foundIntel Haswell i3 4130 3.4GHz almost at the same price as ti 6300

So canIntel Haswell i3 4130 3.4GHz go with this Mother Board Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H

really are you sure?.

Stock cooler stays below 90 degrees on prime95 at 4.5ghz 1.27v.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

I foundIntel Haswell i3 4130 3.4GHz almost at the same price as ti 6300

So canIntel Haswell i3 4130 3.4GHz go with this Mother Board Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H

Yup, that will work very well.

The reason why I recommended a Pentium + Z motherboard was because A. The bundle price, and B, the Z motherboard will allow you to overclock your i5 in the future if/when you decide to upgrade. I now understand that it is not feasible in your area, so going with an i3 + B85 motherboard is an excellent choice, and if you ever did need to upgrade to an i5/i7, you can still do so, but you won't get overclocking capabilities, which is not nearly as important or necessary with i5s and i7s anyways. If/when you do decide to upgrade to an i5 or i7, don't buy a "k" processor. "k" means unlocked, which means overclocking, which you wont be able to do on the B85 motherboard.

really are you sure?.

Yes, the Pentium can overclock very easily to high levels on the stock cooler. This is because the Pentium is just a dual core CPU that doesn't expel nearly as much heat as a 4 core. You can easily push 1.2v+ on the stock cooler without issue when overclocking the Pentium.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Yup, that will work very well.

The reason why I recommended a Pentium + Z motherboard was because A. The bundle price, and B, the Z motherboard will allow you to overclock your i5 in the future if/when you decide to upgrade.  I now understand that it is not feasible in your area, so going with an i3 + B85 motherboard is an excellent choice, and if you ever did need to upgrade to an i5/i7, you can still do so, but you won't get overclocking capabilities, which is not nearly as important or necessary with i5s and i7s anyways.  If/when you do decide to upgrade to an i5 or i7, don't buy a "k" processor.  "k" means unlocked, which means overclocking, which you wont be able to do on the B85 motherboard.

B85 is this MB http://www.pik.ba/artikal/14514537/mb-lga1150-b85-gigabyte-ga-b85m-d3h/ right? :) (Sorry im a noob)

i will be able to OC my GPU right?.

I did not understand think that you said, that i wont be able to OC my CPU with B85?

Will i be able to OC i3? :(

i3 cannot be OC'd, but is a better CPU overall than the Pentium and much better than the FX in games.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

i3 cannot be OC'd, but is a better CPU overall than the Pentium and much better than the FX in games.

Why cant i OC i3?..

Is it just a CPU that Cant be OC

or is it because my Mother board?

Why cant i OC i3?..

None of the i3's can be OC'd, they are locked.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

only one problem!, in my country Z98 and pentium don't come in bundles..

And Z98 is really really expensive, why cant i go with Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H, what will happen if i go with that board?

I'd say look at the games you want to play - the G3258 is good or better in most games, but with more multi-threading and such the 6300 isn't far behind. If you get the Pentium, keep in mind that any background process (Streaming, watching youtube, using skype to call your teammates) will interfere with the performance of the game. In the 6300, 3-4 threads are likely to be used for the game, allowing the other processes to use 2-3 threads before interfering with the game.

The gap gets smaller with an i3, but then you won't get the fun of overclocking (if that's a factor for you) and you'll still only get 4 threads - note that the i3s only have 2 cores, but two threads per core - this means that if all 4 cores are fully loaded, you aren't getting double the performance of a Pentium at the same speeds. The i3 is a better option than most AMD chips in both performance and TDP, though.

Also note that the motherboard prices vary greatly, so you should think of the CPU+Mobo cost before you buy. With AMD, every board can be used for overclocking, though it's worth the trouble to look for one with decent VRMs. With Intel, you'll have to get a Z97 or some H97 boards that allow you to OC it properly.

The CPU cooler will also be a consideration in the price but a Hyper 212 should do well for the AMD. The Pentium doesn't even need an aftermarket cooler if you aren't intending to push a high overclock, since it only has two cores.

What @Lotus said is largely true - also, if you're playing the latest games, DX12 coming out will mean less CPU overheads and better multithreading, so the 6300 could benefit from that.

Why cant i OC i3?..

What Mush Brains said is true - usually, only the K or X skew chips can be OCed (4690k, 4770k, etc)

However, Intel made an exception this time with the Pentium, and produced an unlocked chip.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

None of the i3's can be OC'd, they are locked.

I'm so confused..

Faceman told me that i have to buy locked CPU cause of my MB?..

aaaaaaaa i dont know why but im confused!!..

What Mush Brains said is true - usually, only the K or X skew chips can be OCed (4690k, 4770k, etc)

However, Intel made an exception this time with the Pentium, and produced an unlocked chip.

What is X?

I will buy http://www.pik.ba/artikal/14514080/intel-haswell-i3-4130-3-4ghz/

I'm so confused..

I am not tricking you, the i3 is better than the FX 6 core across the board for gaming, very few losses does not make up the 95% of game titles running better on the i3.

Now for multitasking and say video work the 6 cores are useful, but nothing the i3 cannot handle, and it's not mind blowingly far behind either in that matter.

http://youtu.be/RB1ezCWYNsM

Both using shadow play, the 6300 is nowhere near as good as people make out.

I'm so confused..

He was exaggerating - you don't *have* to buy a locked CPU, but it'll be a better idea to, if you want to save some money.

Basically: Intel CPUs are usually locked, and most Intel motherboards don't allow overclocking. If you get a non-k chip or a non-overclocking ready board, you won't be able to OC.

Overclocking ready boards and unlocked chips have a price premium, because of the extra feature. If you get a K-skew chip or an overclocking ready board but won't OC (e.g. if you don't get both the K-skew chip and the board) you're wasting your money. It'll work, but you'd have wasted your money on the feature that you won't use.

What is X?

The extreme chip - one is released every generation, and it's the best you can get. Usually costs $1000 for the chip alone. It's overclockable.

Remember to choose a best answer!

For the motherboard - choose one that has all the features you want! Any LGA 1150 board will be compatible with it.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

I am not tricking you, the i3 is better than the FX 6 core across the board for gaming, very few losses does not make up the 95% of game titles running better on the i3.

Now for multitasking and say video work the 6 cores are useful, but nothing the i3 cannot handle, and it's not mind blowingly far behind either in that matter.

http://youtu.be/RB1ezCWYNsM

Both using shadow play, the 6300 is nowhere near as good as people make out.

okay i will go for i3, How much years will that CPU be good to me?. 3-4 years??

and then i will upgrade to i5

okay i will go for i3, How much years will that CPU be good to me?. 3-4 years??

and then i will upgrade to i5

By then you will need a new motherboard. I recommend the pentium 3258 because it will perform significantly better than the i3 in games.

The G3258 will match or exceed gaming performance vs the fx 6300. The fx 6300 will inevitable win in multitasking.  One thing about the G3258, you can actually upgrade your cpu! (shots at amd) to an i5/i7!

Ever tried to use amd cpu in mmos? bet the fps was <30.

Don't even think "OMG U NOOB! INTEL MOBOS ARE UBER EXPENSIVE!!!"

MSI Z97 PC Mate

ASRock Z97 Anniversary

Or even cheaper h81 mobos

/Thread

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

G3258 ... Overclockable on H81/B85 motherboards. Asus/gig/msi/asrock all put out BIOS to allow for unlocked processors to be overclocked. Figured this was common knowledge.

That said, I'd go with an FX-6300, more cores, better multi-tasking, shouldn't be CPU bound either way.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-b81-cheap-overclocking,3888.html

i3-4170, H81 board, 8GB DDR3, Crucial M4, GTX 770, Xigmatek Vangaurd Case, Creative Titanium X-fi, Razer Carcharias, 500w PSU, 24" VA panel and a 42" IPS. Thinking about getting a plant.

Because you are inexperienced, go with the i3 + B85. It is your best option for longevity and future upgrades.

You don't have to buy a locked processor. Re-read what I said.

Your "evidence" that one CPU is better than the other is showing it's performance in only one game?

That's not how it works.

yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why