1 GTX 970 or 2 way SLI GTX 770?

nzstubbies

Im building a new gaming pc and i'm not sure what to do about my graphics card. At first it was going to be a gigabyte windforce 770 4gb and I was planning on getting another one in the new year for SLI. But with the 970 out now would it be better the buy one 970 and save some money by not getting two 770's or will two 770;s beat out a 970?

If you don't have a 770 already, I'd say GTX 970 because the single card solution is allways better than the  lower SLI config. in terms of maintainance/frame drops etc.

What's your budget for the card?

who cares...

one 970 is as good, in real game performance always go with one card but if you like benchmarks go with sli

I5 3570K@ 4.4 - GIGABYTE Z77- Kingston 8G 2400 RAM - MSI GTX980 - HAF-X - 27'' ROG SWIFT + 32'' LG IPS - OCZ 250G SSD + WD 4TB HDD - ASUS XONAR DX -Noctua NH-D14

If you don't have a 770 already, I'd say GTX 970 because the single card solution is allways better than the  lower SLI config. in terms of maintainance/frame drops etc.

What's your budget for the card?

budget would less $1000 for 2 cards and (I live in New Zealand so prices are quite high)

budget would less $1000 for 2 cards and (I live in New Zealand so prices are quite high)

I personally would go with the 970 if you are just doing 1080p gaming.

the decision might change if you have some specific criteria.

120hz, eyefinity, 1440p etc..

I personally would go with the 970 if you are just doing 1080p gaming.

the decision might change if you have some specific criteria.

120hz, eyefinity, 1440p etc..

i would be gaming on an ips 1440p monitor but the 970 would easily be able to power 1440p on high/ultra settings from the benchmarks i've seen

i would be gaming on an ips 1440p monitor but the 970 would easily be able to power 1440p on high/ultra settings from the benchmarks i've seen

well i don't know about easily, maybe for many games.

But you might not have such a great time if you tried crysis 3/battlefield 4 for example.

the average frame-rate might be acceptable, but you would likely experience dips to 20-30 during certain scenes.

Multiplayer moreso, though it might not be a big issue if you tweaked the settings abit.

It depends on the games you play.

I'm still rocking a 7950 just because alot of the games i play aren't super demanding.

But yeah, a single 970 seems well adequate for 1440p gaming.

A rule of thumb is to always go with the single most powerful gpu you can afford, so go with the 970 is my recommendation. Also sli will also draw more power(which will increase heat output), sometimes cause driver issues and micro stuttering when playing games, so the extra problems aren't really worth it unless you really need the small performance boost from the two 770 imo. 

Can you get the 970 immediately? I've heard that there's quite the backlog of cards. If not, then the SLI might not be a bad idea, especially considering it can do higher resolutions. If you're only playing at 1080p, then something as low as a gtx 760 (or 670) is good enough for ultra in pretty much everything aside from crysis 3 (which isn't the best example of an optimised game).

I use a Lenovo T440: i5 4300U, 8GB RAM, 128GB Samsung 840 Evo, 14" 900p display and an external 23" 1080p passive 3D monitor. Extended 6-cell battery with internal 3-cell. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (I only use open-source software -- haven't paid for a single program yet).

• 7 months later...

Honestly, I'd recommend the 2 770's. I haven't encountered many games that are not SLI compatible and the 2 tend to outperform the single 970. It's a matter of personal preference though.

Save up and get a 980ti, you wouldnt need to upgrade for years. 

If you have 4gb 770, go for SLI

INTEL I5-4670K | ASUS Z87-A | CORSAIR 16GB Vengence | EVGA GTX 980 SuperClocked | SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | COOLER MASTER CM Storm Scout 2 | CORSAIR RM850