Is My Internet Being Held Back?

MeesterJackson

Ok, so I've got 75/75 Down and Upload speeds. Yet at times (other than video playback for the most part) it feels like it's being capped off or something. 

On Steam my download rate was highest at 10MB per second....but it never went over that. It just literally caps it off at 10MB  when obviously it could go higher. I remember before on my previous computer I used a program called "Cheat Engine" (or whatever the heck it's name was) and it essentially uncapped my internet on certain programs. I used it on Steam...and HOLY CRAP was it definitely not being capped anymore. 10GB games or higher were downloading blazing fast...as they should have been in the first place. 

Sometimes when I download regular files that are more than a few MB straight from Chrome's browser it can take a bit longer than it should (it's still fast, though I know for a fact just by watching the download that it should be faster). 

So what's up? Anyone know why my internet seems to not be being used to it's fullest? 

10MB/s roughly equates to 80Mb/s

A Byte is represented by an upper case B and a bit is represented by a lower case b

A Byte is equal to eight bits

So if your internet is 75Mbps, it should be roughly 9.5MBps

Compatible with Windows 95

10MB/s roughly equates to 80Mb/s

Not...sure if I'm fully getting what you're saying, but anyways, 75MB/75MB up and down man. It should still be faster, a lot faster at that. 

75 Mbps = 9.15 ish MBps Mega bits does not = Megabytes.

There are 8 bits in a byte. Internet speeds are advertised in bits, file size is bytes. 

So, if you are getting 10MBps downloads on steam, that's about what you should be getting (its actually a bit better).

Most times you will be limited by the server you are downloading from as well - best test is something like speedtest.com as that literally tests your speeds, and in bits. If that is telling you less than 75/75 Mbps for a local test server, then you have a problem.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

In regards to steam, that is about right. You are getting you full internet. As far as video playback. No. Almost every ISP throttles the living shit out of high traffic websites now so the can save on the cost of upgrading their infrastructure. Especially time warner and comcast.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

-snip-

-snip-

OP, what Tom said. 

You have 75 Megabits Down/Up. You are getting 10 MegaBytes Down. Which is equivalent to 80 Megabits down. 

You are getting more than you pay for. Not less.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Not...sure if I'm fully getting what you're saying, but anyways, 75MB/75MB up and down man. It should still be faster, a lot faster at that. 

What he means is you are paying for is 75 up and down mega  BIT, when you look at steam you download in mega BITES. The difference is for ever bite there are 8 bits. So by normal standards of  internet you will be seeing 1/8 download speed of megabits because mostly everything is measured in bites

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

What he means is you are paying for is 75 up and down mega  BIT, when you look at steam you download in mega BITES. The difference is for ever bite there are 8 bits. So by normal standards of  internet you will be seeing 1/8 download speed of megabits because mostly everything is measured in bites

Bytes*

And what the OP is doing is like this:

"I was promised that my car could drive 80,000 meters per hour, but it only goes 80 kilometers per hour."

Same thing.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

In regards to the files on Chrome, the speed in which you receive a file is heavily dependent on the speed of the server you are receiving it from and the amount of traffic it is currently experiencing. Just because you have that speed does not mean you will download everything at that speed.

75 Mbps = 9.15 ish MBps Mega bits does not = Megabytes.

There are 8 bits in a byte. Internet speeds are advertised in bits, file size is bytes. 

So, if you are getting 10MBps downloads on steam, that's about what you should be getting (its actually a bit better).

Most times you will be limited by the server you are downloading from as well - best test is something like speedtest.com as that literally tests your speeds, and in bits. If that is telling you less than 75/75 Mbps for a local test server, then you have a problem.

OP, what Tom said. 

You have 75 Megabits Down/Up. You are getting 10 MegaBytes Down. Which is equivalent to 80 Megabits down. 

You are getting more than you pay for. Not less.

Ok, well that still doesn't explain the Chrome issue, right now I'm downloading Sony Vegas 12 which it's download file is 227MB. It's been like 8 minutes now, and it still says that it's got like 3 minutes left to download. It's being ridiculously slow. It should be done by now. Some files seem to download stupidly fast while others don't. 

In regards to the files on Chrome, the speed in which you receive a file is heavily dependent on the speed of the server you are receiving it from and the amount of traffic it is currently experiencing. Just because you have that speed does not mean you will download everything at that speed.

Ok I guess that makes sense. 

Bytes*

And what the OP is doing is like this:

"I was promised that my car could drive 80,000 meters per hour, but it only goes 80 kilometers per hour."

Same thing

bites....lmao Can't believe I was just doing that. This is what happens when you start sipping on strong drinks. lol