VSENN - New competitor for Google's Project Ara

set_flo

Well Ara does use the open unipro standard .anyone can use it

I Dont know if google owns the right to the design of how the parts "Fit" etc

I know, but what to stop them forcing you to upgrade with the next model etc

Or a competitor now following this standard but it ends up having better blocks etc

I think it will make things more complicated than it s now, making it even harder for devs to know what modules people have in their phones etc

I am still skeptical... I LOVE the concept though

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It's all I'm going to say on this...

image.jpg

This was different until now because it was the 1st standard of its kind making it to public.

But with news about VSENN, your picture is spot on :D

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I know, but what to stop them forcing you to upgrade with the next model etc

Or a competitor now following this standard but it ends up having better blocks etc

I think it will make things more complicated than it s now, making it even harder for devs to know what modules people have in their phones etc

I am still skeptical... I LOVE the concept though

u are 100% right

doing this now will "poison the well" and well just end up confusing people

ugh ... or a competitor would have exclusivity on a block or something - that would SUCK

anyways 1st gen ara is set to release in Q1 2015 - ill definitely buy one just to check this out !

i doubt VSENN will release that early so i dont think its gonna cause harm

extra info if u didnt know google will not control who can make the blocks ,there will be an official block store but if some one doesnt want to sell in that store they can just sell it directly if they wanted just like apps today

i  personally want  an opensourced baseband block for the lols

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

But your battery is still degrading over time

Yes, of course. This was just a joke about the HORRIBLE inefficiency of iOS 5 which it launched with.

I'm happy with the longevity of the battery tho, the degradation isn't too noticeable. I don't feel like "wow, this phone used to last longer"...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

This isn't the only other modular phone to be announced, I dunno when this one was but http://www.modularmania.com/wordpress/?page_id=778

Personally i've always thought Ara was going to get released, have a few months lifespan and flop. Only getting a new released block here and there to keep people who're hardcore about it into it. Now that there's a few competitors I dunno. This VSENN sounds limited in the amount of things you can do with it. Only the battery (not a module) camera (ok) and the CPU RAM and storage module? Ara lets me replace the screen for a different one, the front speaker, anything else if I decide I don't need a camera and add another battery. It's not limited by anything but what you can fit on the frame. With VSENN you're limited to only a small amount of choice, which unfortunately will look good to general consumers who don't want to go in too deep over their heads.... and then there's the one I linked with more parts interchangable but still not the screen or camera. And the parts are too tiny and people will complain about that.

Personally I see either Ara or VSENN (if it ever comes to a release) are going to be pretty neck and neck. Unfortunately the less expansive one might win here. Ara's going to have a nice lead, but I don't think it's going to catch on. However, if developers make parts for it and continue to and make powerful stuff (like i'm hoping for an Nvidia something on Ara) i'll be fine if it doesn't become a huge hit. I don't really want everyone and their dog to have one. I've talked about it to people around me (at work and such) and they all think i'm nuts. And that's fine they can have their lame Lumia's and stuff. I'll be happy with my modular phone. Especially since right now i'm operating on a dying S3 mini that needs a new battery (or at least I think that'll fix the restarting issues i've been having... did some looking around) i've already replaced the screen once and i've cracked it again, the vibrator motor got killed when I replaced the screen, and it's just not doing too well overall. Being able to just slide the screen off for a new one will be nice, and upgrading the CPU and such too. I'm just hoping it's not gonna be $400 for some of the top end CPU blocks... that'll upset me.